Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC

• 10-12-2009 9:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

HI All

Im Currently a BT Customer and really not looking forward to going to Vodafone from what i have seen.

I looking around and i have seen UPC are doing a 20mb Line that will be 30mb in Jan. What im looking for is some feedback on your experience with UPC. As the service i got from BT is fantastic never gave me problems.

What i really need to know is UPC good for online gaming wit my PS3 and downloading from Rapidshare?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

where are you located?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

slave1 wrote: »
    where are you located?

Im Moving to Blackrock in Cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

You need to call NTL and find out if it's available at your location. It's not available everywhere.

Sleipnir wrote: »
    You need to call NTL and find out if it's available at your location. It's not available everywhere.

I know that the area is all cabled but not sure if i can get it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

what have the neighbours got ?? are you on modern cable ( grey) or the older stuff (black)

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    what have the neighbours got ?? are you on modern cable ( grey) or the older stuff (black)

Not a clue i don't move until Jan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

Short answer.
    We've no way of saying.

Long answer.
    If you have a stable connection, it's perfect.
    Better by far than any other provider can supply.
    You'll have pings to Ireland of less than 10-15 MS.
    And your speed will be pretty constant.

However, we can't tell you if there will be any issues or if the service will be available.
    Even if the service is available, there could be issues with the cabling in the house etc, that may mean you have issues for the first few weeks/months.

Until you're installed, as with any service, you can't really tell.

It is however the most future proof option out there.
    UPC will be offering speeds of up to 100 Meg in about a year.
    And as it's cable BB, unlike DSL, you don't have to worry about distance from the exchange as you would with DSL.
    24Mb ADSL2+ becomes 12MB after a couple of miles afterall.

_Sidhe_ wrote: »
    Short answer.
    We've no way of saying.

Long answer.
    If you have a stable connection, it's perfect.
    Better by far than any other provider can supply.
    You'll have pings to Ireland of less than 10-15 MS.
    And your speed will be pretty constant.

However, we can't tell you if there will be any issues or if the service will be available.
    Even if the service is available, there could be issues with the cabling in the house etc, that may mean you have issues for the first few weeks/months.

Until you're installed, as with any service, you can't really tell.

It is however the most future proof option out there.
    UPC will be offering speeds of up to 100 Meg in about a year.
    And as it's cable BB, unlike DSL, you don't have to worry about distance from the exchange as you would with DSL.
    24Mb ADSL2+ becomes 12MB after a couple of miles afterall.

Thanks for all your help Guys.

Can you tell me from when you order how long does it take to set up?

Depends on when you order.
    It's usualy 2-4 working days.
    So if you order on a Monday, you'll have it by weeks end.
    But if it's a Thursday that you're ordering it, you might be unlucky and have to wait for the next Tuesday for instance.

If I remember correctly, I was installed 2 days after I ordered.

_Sidhe_ wrote: »
    Depends on when you order.
    It's usualy 2-4 working days.
    So if you order on a Monday, you'll have it by weeks end.
    But if it's a Thursday that you're ordering it, you might be unlucky and have to wait for the next Tuesday for instance.

If I remember correctly, I was installed 2 days after I ordered.

now that's quick

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

my install was 4 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

HI All

Im Currently a BT Customer and really not looking forward to going to Vodafone from what i have seen.

I looking around and i have seen UPC are doing a 20mb Line that will be 30mb in Jan. What im looking for is some feedback on your experience with UPC. As the service i got from BT is fantastic never gave me problems.

What i really need to know is UPC good for online gaming wit my PS3 and downloading from Rapidshare?

648815404.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Generally speaking, yes it's fine for gaming and any kind of downloading. Speeds can vary though, depending on your location. Cable broadband is contended locally, so if your neighbour is a heavy downloader, you may suffer. Some people have serious problems with this.

There's no real way to know what it'll be like for you without trying it, or asking a neighbour if they have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

I have UPC 10Mb for almost 2 months now and find it very good. Speed tests of 9.8Mbs off peak and about 5-6Mbs peak. The install only took 3 days from the day I ordered. They said line wasn't good enough for their phone service, however I use VOIP over their connection myself and have had no problems with it all.
    Overall would recommend them.

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    I have UPC 10Mb for almost 2 months now and find it very good. Speed tests of 9.8Mbs off peak and about 5-6Mbs peak. The install only took 3 days from the day I ordered. They said line wasn't good enough for their phone service, however I use VOIP over their connection myself and have had no problems with it all.

Hi Guy and Gals

Thanks for all you reply,s what i really want to hear is how people in Cork that have the service and what they think of it.

IrishTonyO wrote: »

That just means that the cables in your area haven't been upgraded yet.
    With UPC's phone system, they maintain the connection on their own network at all times, unlike normal VOIP which just takes the path of least resistance so to speak, and can cross to many different providrs networks.
    That's how they maintatin the better connection quality.
    Once they've relaid the cables in your area, their phone would be available.

Hi Guy and Gals

Thanks for all you reply,s what i really want to hear is how people in Cork that have the service and what they think of it.

Historically Cork had the worst cable network in Ireland.
    Chorus used to always have problems with it.
    However Cork has been very aggressively upgraded over the last year or so by UPC.

If BB/Phone is available in your area, chances are it's in one of the recently upgraded areas.
    If you know anyone who lives in the area, ask them if UPC have recently upgraded.
    (They would have been laying new cables up to all the properties)
    If they have, then you should have no problems at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Yes I am aware of that Sidhe, however like I say the VOIP is perfect on my line so it is not a problem not having the phone from UPC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 JBUCD

I am with UPC for about 4 years now. Only had 3 major problems where my internet was down for about 2 weeks. My experiance has being great. Connection speeds are brilliant I don't seem to get a big drop in speed during peak times.
    There customer support is pretty ****. (I hated it because there seems to be communication problems between the chaps on the phone and the chaps doing the repairs. Last time I had a big problem with UPC there customer support was amazing. So they must be improving. I rang them up, went through the usual steps. Turned out to be an area problem. During the time it was down. I got 3 calls back from them with an update of the problem and also to see if it was back working again.

Advertisement