Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Cashing in on Budget increase in fuel????

• 10-12-2009 10:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

Was in Tesco last night around 7.15pm and decided to fill up before the midnight increase in fuel. While I was there they closed off the station and started to adjust the price on the main display board to reflect the new change.

With the prices not due to come into effect until midnight were Tesco cashing in before the rise by charging everyone after 7.30pm the increased rate????

If this was the case then they should be reported to the prices commission or consumer watchdog as this was blatant exploitation!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Isn't the price supposed to stay the same until they stocks they have run out?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I was in there at half 10 and got the petrol at the cheaper rate, 116.9. Was very busy. Didn't see anywhere on the way to cork who increased their prices, even past the hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Mossy Monk wrote: »

I think the price must be imposed from midnight as they would pay their tax based on returns and sales from the date in question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Sully wrote: »
    I was in there at half 10 and got the petrol at the cheaper rate, 116.9. Was very busy. Didn't see anywhere on the way to cork who increased their prices, even past the hour.
    Perhaps they were only checking the system then -that is good to hear. I couldn't wait to check it but if they were just doing this why did they close the station at that time?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Anyone I heard was there lastnight said it was cheap, price change didn';t come into affect till midnight....perhaps your clock was wrong? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

The price board at Tesco was at the higher rate for a time in the early evening; but at some point it reverted to the correct rate during the late evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

scout353 wrote: »
    I think the price must be imposed from midnight as they would pay their tax based on returns and sales from the date in question.

I passed a few petrol stations today that were still on old prices. I am almost certain that the new prices wont come into effect until the garages refill their tanks.

I found it funny the amount of people queuing for petrol last night, burning petrol as they waited for those in front of them to move on. You would swear there was a shortage.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I found it funny the amount of people queuing for petrol last night, burning petrol as they waited for those in front of them to move on. You would swear there was a shortage.

Its idiotic alright,
    To save 1-2e some people will drive miles, q (with the engine on) waiting to fill up...your wasting fuel while your Q'ing you fools

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

This is being discussed on the Joe Duffy Show. Anyone that was overcharged can get a refund if they've kept their receipt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    The price board at Tesco was at the higher rate for a time in the early evening; but at some point it reverted to the correct rate during the late evening.

Yep, saw that too. Board displayed the higher rate in the evening when I was passing, I guess so many people probably complained, they had to revert to the correct price, which was displayed a half hr later by the time I was passing again on my way home.
    Very sneaky of them if they were trying to pull a fast one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

deisemum wrote: »
    This is being discussed on the Joe Duffy Show. Anyone that was overcharged can get a refund if they've kept their receipt.

Tesco Waterford was on Joe Duffy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

No it was countrywide apparently..the tesco line was that some stores misinterpreted memo and raised the prices prematurely but by 1030pm or thereabouts they had reduced the price back down again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

alpha2zulu wrote: »
    No it was countrywide apparently..the tesco line was that some stores misinterpreted memo and raised the prices prematurely but by 1030pm or thereabouts they had reduced the price back down again.

Or they tried to pull a fast one and hoped noone would notice?

People who do this after a price increase make me wonder about how humanity will turn out. I mean if a product you have to but once a week lets say milk had to go up €1.50 would you really wait in your local tesco for a half an hour to get it.

I felt like shouting at the traffic like a tramp walking past a petrol station last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

ziedth wrote: »
    would you really wait in your local tesco for a half an hour to get it.

It makes me wonder too - I had to get petrol myself last night anyway but took one look at the massive queue in tesco and toddled off down the road to topaz where it's 1 cent dearer per litre but the forecourt was practically deserted. One other guy at a pump and that was it.

I happily paid an extra what, 25 cents or so, and saved myself a half hr of having the engine idling (and rising irritability) in the tesco station. The same people queuing probably wouldn't bend over to pick up 25 cents off the ground!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

A few people came back for the refund of the difference in duty.
    They had a look of shock when they were handed €1.45.

They couldn't understand that is the difference in paying 1.16 and 1.21 euro per liter for 32 liters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,011 ✭✭✭✭Stark

That's the case with excise as far as I know. (which is what they added onto petrol in the last budget). Tax is charged at the point of sale so takes effect immediately.

Advertisement