Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish rain.........specifically Galway

Options
  • 10-12-2009 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi,
    i am thinking of moving to Galway next year and am hearing lots and lots about rain in this part of the country. I am from Monaghan so have experienced my fair share of rain but have been living in Switzerland for the last 2 years (proper summers/winters). Does it really rain all the time? How has this year been, did you have many dry days...i have a dog who gets 3 three walks per day, and im thinking bracing the wind and rain might be tough to handle after here!
    Any Galway People who can give me an insight?
    Cheers
    Car

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

When you can see the Aran Islands that means it is going to rain and when you can't it's raining.

The weather radar does not work either, it oftens shows nothing when steadily drizzling or shows blue when it is fairly chucking down. It is gloriously sunny now.

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

But Galway is only a bit wetter than Monaghan ...relative to Switzerland.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭octo

climate_rainfallmap.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

See they could have announced they were going to roof the country as a jobs stimulus package yesterday, then we wouldn't need to worry!

Yeah, it rains a bit alright, showers too! Plan for the worst, hope for the best type of weather approach is recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

The perception that it rains all the time in Galway is misleadig. We had a dry day today for example! :p

Seriously though, it can rain quite a bit, but prolonged dry spells are not that unusual either. On average, October and and January are the wettest months, will May and June tend to be the driest.

I wouldn't use that as an absolute definite though! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Dont know about Galway but we get a hell of amount of rain here in Donegal, there is no weather station in my area so its all off the charts lol
    Lucky though we dont get floods because of the hills and and lack of flat land.
    Move to Donegal :D :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

Compared to Monaghan, I can't say. Compared to Dublin and the east. It does seem to rain a lot. But worse, it appears to be about to rain all too much even if it doesn't actually rain. It's can be grey and dull quite a lot. It just feels damp.

Advertisement