Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are some Private Sector workers using their colleagues misfortune....

Options
  • 10-12-2009 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭

Are there some/many employed members of the private sector using the current situation to their advantage.

Are there some/many private sector workers on boards who have not taken any cut in their hours/pay but are playing the poor mouth just cos they are in the private sector so they know they are practically bullet proof from criticism right now?

Are their some/many well paid private sector workers in here preaching to lower paid PS workers about cuts, when they have not taken any themselves, certainly not to the extent of the PS, safe in the knowledge that if the PS worker defends themselves...the Private sector worker can reply with blood curdling cries of "job cuts....dole queues..40% drop in wages" when in fact, in many of these cases, none of it is relevant to them?

Is there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well all I can do is take people at face value to what they post here, whether they are or aren't doesn't change the fact that the Government cannot afford to continue their expenditure levels any more. They have to do something about it. Reducing their costs is the most logical thing to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭damoz

Im sure there are. But if they havent taken any pay cut etc then their employer is obviously doing well, making profits, and fair play to them. What i can say for sure, that these people would be the exception and not the rule - and there are always exceptions.

The public sector employer is not in a healthy state, so cuts, while unpalitable for some, are essential to restore the balance in income and expenditure. The private sector is self policing, so it shouldnt enter the argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

gandalf wrote: »
    Well all I can do is take people at face value to what they post here, whether they are or aren't doesn't change the fact that the Government cannot afford to continue their expenditure levels any more. They have to do something about it. Reducing their costs is the most logical thing to do?

Going on IBEC's own figures of the amt of currently employed private sector workers who have actually taken a pay cut....no where near the figure some here would have you believe, and thats from IBEC, then I have no doubt, an awful lot of the Poor mouth being played here by an awful lot of people is nothing more then utter BS

Liam79 wrote: »
    the Private sector worker Taxpayer can reply with blood curdling cries of "job cuts....dole queues..40% drop in wages" when in fact, in many of these cases, none of it is relevant to them?

I amended your statement and yes it is relevant to them if they are paying any tax at all.

• Advertisement

I amended your statement and yes it is relevant to them if they are paying any tax at all.

You realise of course that PS workers pay the exact same Tax/PRSI as the bullet proof bastions of society that is the Private Sector, dont you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

You realise of course that PS workers pay the exact same Tax/PRSI as the bullet proof bastions of society that is the Private Sector, dont you?

Perhaps the meaning of taxpayer(In this context) should be defined as someone who pays tax into the tax net(from means outside of public funds(tax take)) and not someone who recycles tax money.

If we did away with tax in the public sector and just paid them what they currently clear(Net pay) we could do away with a lot of the extra administration, saving more of the tax payers money.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Bruce2008

Are there some/many employed members of the private sector using the current situation to their advantage.

Are there some/many private sector workers on boards who have not taken any cut in their hours/pay but are playing the poor mouth just cos they are in the private sector so they know they are practically bullet proof from criticism right now?

Are their some/many well paid private sector workers in here preaching to lower paid PS workers about cuts, when they have not taken any themselves, certainly not to the extent of the PS, safe in the knowledge that if the PS worker defends themselves...the Private sector worker can reply with blood curdling cries of "job cuts....dole queues..40% drop in wages" when in fact, in many of these cases, none of it is relevant to them?...

I believe you have hit a few home truths.... I am in the Private Sector but I do not believe in the PS getting hit like that yesterday on top of the pension levy (which was a paycut in stealth form)... it is a bit over the top some of the repies the PS posts get but then I think it is the flavour of the month.. stirred up by the media....

RTE have added to this by reporting on the alleged public service workers shopping in the north on strike day.... and all the private sectors stayed at home????

Also the spin put on the 12 days off was crazy... it was short time/ reduced hours that was being proposed... not extra holidays... and then the "well if they can do five days work in four days then they are overstaffed" but if you do that in the private sector you can get a pat on the back for working harder....

I think some people are using these threads to let off steam at anybody then can focus on.... it was banks now its PS... who is next??? Keep the heads down ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Are their some/many well paid private sector workers in here preaching to lower paid PS workers about cuts, when they have not taken any themselves, certainly not to the extent of the PS, safe in the knowledge that if the PS worker defends themselves...the Private sector worker can reply with blood curdling cries of "job cuts....dole queues..40% drop in wages" when in fact, in many of these cases, none of it is relevant to them?

Is there?
    Everyone I know in the private sector has been hit or has spent the last year and half just sh*tting it they'll go into work some day get an email and their job is gone and all the have is statutory redundancy. This is a fear that people in the public sector just don't seem to understand.

I was cut 5%, wife cut 100% so for all the moaning I have heard from the public sector, the cuts seem like nada and we are sick to bleedin' death listening to it.

The last time one section of society was singled out and hung out to dry like this, Adolf Hitler was in power in Germany ........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

I'm sure they are using their colleagues misfortunes, however that does not change the fact that the Public Sector are on average overpaid FOR the work they do.

That is not to suggest that they are lazy workers(althought a lot of them are), it is however to suggest that, again, on average, a public sector worker would not be qualified enough to get the same wage in the privite sector.

Take the garda for example, what makes any of our Garda so qualified to start a carrer where his/her pay grade will reach over 1000 euro a week. Is it a year in templemore?

In contrast spend 4 years in College studying business, Some may go on to earn over a 1000 euro a week, BUT only the ones that deserve it......

Everyone I know in the private sector has been hit or has spent the last year and half just sh*tting it they'll go into work some day get an email and their job is gone and all the have is statutory redundancy. This is a fear that people in the public sector just don't seem to understand.

I was cut 5%, wife cut 100% so for all the moaning I have heard from the public sector, the cuts seem like nada and we are sick to bleedin' death listening to it.

IBEC seem to differ......yes thats IBEC....not ICTU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭frman

The last time one section of society was singled out and hung out to dry like this, Adolf Hitler was in power in Germany ........

Oh come on.......:rolleyes:

That EUR1800 that has been taken off the salary of 34k is just like being gassed.

Okay..................

Going on IBEC's own figures of the amt of currently employed private sector workers who have actually taken a pay cut....no where near the figure some here would have you believe, and thats from IBEC, then I have no doubt, an awful lot of the Poor mouth being played here by an awful lot of people is nothing more then utter BS

Well tbh I believe this thread thats stickied at the top of this forum.

I know that the amount that I am down is correct I cannot comment for others but it still doesn't change the fact that the Government is spending more than it is taking in and has to rectify that? Do you want us to debit the next generation of this country to keep over-inflated wages in the PS?

So..to summarise....you all think that lower paid PS workers,(20-40k) should and still will, be hit again....??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

TBH, I don't think there's many in the private sector who haven't been affected somehow - either through direct paycuts, other people's redundancies combined with pay freezes resulting in more work for the same pay etc.

That said, I'm reading Richard Branson's 'Business Stripped Bare' right now and he believes actions in recessions is where fortunes are made during the booms so, no doubt, many of the entrepeneurial class will be building the foundations of fortunes even though they might just be making ends meet at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The most ridiculous statement I've ever read on boards. Comparing your plight to that of the Jews during the Third Reich is actually disgusting and I suspect if you'd ever visited a concentration camp site (I have), complete with gas chambers and crematoria that you'd be of a different opinion.

So..to summarise....you all think that lower paid PS workers,(20-40k) should and still will, be hit again....??

No I think that anyone under 26K should not have taken a paycut but the tax threshold should have been lowered to take more people both private and public into the tax net who aren't in it already. And I think that the higher paid in the PS should have been hit harder.

But if the Government are still not balancing their books then yes the PS and the rest of us will be taking more hits and I firmly do not believe we are at rock bottom yet unlike Mr Lenihans assurances yesterday.

By the way under Godwins law this thread is now over....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

I can't understand how some people can't see past their noses. The PS boss (Brian Lenehan) has stated to continue running his business (this country) there will need to be cuts. The private sector have already through this pain for over a year or more now.

And all this talk about "We didn't cause this the bankers/developers did" is nonsense. We bought the houses or if not too. We borrowed the money that we may now not be able to pay back.

The people that are complaining about pay cuts are like people that would be standing on the deck of the titanic refusing to get off saying "I didn't put the iceberg there"

And instead of striking be glad you have a monthly wage and can live. Its time to grow up and live in the real world!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭frman

If the Government can't afford the wage bill then it needs to be done.

Look at it this way.

Eur34k salary has been reduced by EUR1.8k

This represents a drop of about 5.20 %

The cost of living has dropped by 6.5% over the last 12 months.
    (I think it is about 3.5 if mortgages are taken out).

It's not that bad and could have been a lot worse.

The unions were willing to concede 1 day per month to the govt.
    If we work an average of 22 days per month, that 1 day unpaid represents a little under 5%.

The Unions don't have a leg to stand on if they say that the "lower" paid ps worker has been unfairly targetted. They were giving away almost the same figure themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,083 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It seems that you would like it to be BS, for whatever reason, but I don't know anyone in the private sector that hasn't taken a hammering (with the exception of liquidators).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Well, I looked at the figures and it seems there are about 125 thousand people in Irelands population of 4.5 million in total earning between 50 and 80 thousand Euro per annum.

These roughly 3% of the population pay roughly over 40% of the taxes raised.

I feel being in that bracket entitles me to an opinion whether I took a cut myself or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

No doubt plenty in the Private sector are crying poverty now while having taken little or no cut, as in the Public sector. People claiming to be down 10% but with increments actually being down 1-4%.

amacachi wrote: »
    No doubt plenty in the Private sector are crying poverty now while having taken little or no cut, as in the Public sector. People claiming to be down 10% but with increments actually being down 1-4%.

But again what has this got to do with with the fact the Government are no longer getting the tax take in to justify paying wages at there current levels?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Is there?

What difference does it make?

The goverment doesn't employee that worker.

it doesn't pay that workers wages.

The goverment doesn't have to borrow money to pay that worker.

Regardless of what's going on in the private sector, the PS pay bill was too high, PS workers were over paid compared to the EU counterparts. PS workers wages increased regardless of performance or producitivity.

You can start as many threads as you want you can harp on about the private sector as much as you want but the FACT that will remain is.

your company CANNOT afford to pay it's staff anymore.

there's nothing more to do it.

You don't need to be an unaffected private sector worker to understand this or discuss it, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

amacachi wrote: »

Sure your average annual pay is still higher that the private sector.. Come down from your high horse an live in the real world, we're people are unable to find a job to support their families.

The reason the private sector has no sympathy for the public sector is that they should never have gotten the over inflated pay in the first place. I wouldn't even consider calling yesterdays budget a pay cut. Its only a step in taking your earnings down to reality

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Is there?

I did lose my job, one in the so called knowledge sector.

How can you defend the indefensible? Work practices and renumeration are out of kilter? Does someone who works in Waterstones get paid 25k-30k a year? No - but they public sector counterpart does?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

But again what has this got to do with with the fact the Government are no longer getting the tax take in to justify paying wages at there current levels?
    I was answering the question in the thread title.
    Smcgie wrote: »
    Sure your average annual pay is still higher that the private sector.. Come down from your high horse an live in the real world, we're people are unable to find a job to support their families.

The reason the private sector has no sympathy for the public sector is that they should never have gotten the over inflated pay in the first place. I wouldn't even consider calling yesterdays budget a pay cut. Its only a step in taking your earnings down to reality
    Sorry what?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭rubyred

Both my partner and I are in the private sector. I'm one of the extremely lucky ones who hasn't had to take a cut bar the standard tax levy thing. However, I would have no problem taking a cut to keep my job if my boss was in trouble financially. Luckily (even after a substantial reduction in his earnings) he still earns a few hundred grand a year so I think I'll be okay. PS. I'm the only person I know who works in the private sector who hasn't taken at least a 20% cut.

However, my partner still works five days a week but hasn't been paid a cent in over three months. He works for his parent's company and they gave him the choice to walk with all the other 200 staff or to stay and work for free with the promise that he would still have a paid job once (and if) the company gets out of trouble. And no his parents are not bailing him out cos neither of them have taken a wage in over a year.

Edited to say that at the end of the day a company can only pay out as much as it brings in (unless it borrows). If my boss couldn't afford to pay me then a P45 would be on my desk in the morning. Simple as that - if the money isn't there, the job isn't there.

Advertisement