Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone ever heard of a claortom?

• 10-12-2009 11:28am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Haigh, conas atá sibh?

I'm tryng to transcribe some Irish right now. Have it all done except for one word that is killing me. Sounds like 'tá sé ar chlaor tom'. In the picture he's on a ledge, holding a pillar, which could be a barrier. I've checked every possible word for these and can't find any that sound like claortom, and I don't want to write that in case it's wrong.

Aon smaointí agaibh?
    Go raibh míle!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

"Clord" is a word for ledge, but the tom is a puzzle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Ceilteach

Cén chanúint atá i gceist?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Gaeilge Uladh. D'fhéadfainn an clord a úsáid is docha. Go raibh míle!

dory wrote: »
    Gaeilge Uladh. D'fhéadfainn an clord a úsáid is docha. Go raibh míle!
    Not so fast, I'm thinking it's "clár" with in canúint Uladh would sound more like "cla-or" as for "tom", wouldn't be "trom" or "tanaí" by any chance. I've never heard "clord" used to describe a ledge on a cliff the way you described it dory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

Tá sé ar clár dom?

it is in store for me - plan - schedule ?

Is the person possibly planning to jump?

• Advertisement

It's a guy about to jump into the water, it's says he's on something. I'll just have to guess but the suggestions are great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

well if someone else is speaking then yes i would say it is about the ledge
    if he was speaking i would say ''it is in store for me'' or the likes

It's a guy about to jump into the water, it's says he's on something. I'll just have to guess but the suggestions are great!

Any way you can post up the pic, it's bugging the bejaysus out of me? The audio even better!

Haigh, conas atá sibh?

I'm tryng to transcribe some Irish right now. Have it all done except for one word that is killing me. Sounds like 'tá sé ar chlaor tom'. In the picture he's on a ledge, holding a pillar, which could be a barrier. I've checked every possible word for these and can't find any that sound like claortom, and I don't want to write that in case it's wrong.

Aon smaointí agaibh?
    Go raibh míle!

Ha Ha Eureka!!
    Tá sé ar chlár tumtha!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    He's on a diving board!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

An arbh as An Bhriotáin don Chigire Cleauseau?
    Maith tú, shabháil tú an lá.

• Advertisement

Ceilteach wrote: »
    Ha Ha Eureka!!
    Tá sé ar chlár tumtha!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    He's on a diving board!!!!!!!!!!!!

You legend!!!! Go raibh míle!!

Ceann eile agam duit. ;) Tá ceann eile anseo, deir sé an focal 'tuigmháil'. Bheinn ag ceapadh gur 'teangmháil' atá i gceist ach níl oireann sin an chomhthéacs.

He uses it a lot, and it's as the word that would fit in it 'tuiscint'. Maybe I could just substitute it, but there are two of here hearing 'tuigmháil'.

I did not know I'd be dealing with the lovely Gaeilge ón dTuaisceart nuair a thóg mé an post seo!

You legend!!!! Go raibh míle!!

Ceann eile agam duit. ;) Tá ceann eile anseo, deir sé an focal 'tuigmháil'. Bheinn ag ceapadh gur 'teangmháil' atá i gceist ach níl oireann sin an chomhthéacs.

He uses it a lot, and it's as the word that would fit in it 'tuiscint'. Maybe I could just substitute it, but there are two of here hearing 'tuigmháil'.

I did not know I'd be dealing with the lovely Gaeilge ón dTuaisceart nuair a thóg mé an post seo!

tuigmheáil, ón tuaisceart, mar an gcéanna le tuiscint

Advertisement