Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does psychology qualify you for?

• 10-12-2009 11:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

Aside from postgraduate studies, what am I actually qualified to do? I just want to get a broad spectrum of my options, despite the recession.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Grigzz

Hi Lorrs,

quick answer is not a lot really!

But in saying that you do learn important skills during your undergrad which employers find useful. Eg research, working to deadlines etc. But in terms of employment straight away your degree is pretty much equivalent to a standard arts degree.

One avenue which many psychology graduates went onto to build experience was social care, however this route is almost closed. Under the new guidelines you need to have a practical supervised component to your training in order to work in this area. Most psych. degrees don’t include such a component.

Whilst not being directly qualified to do much specifically, the psych degree will open a few doors for you. Especially since the level at which people get accepted to and then graduate from psych. degree courses in the universities is quite high. Before I qualified as a psychologist, I worked in a bank, a recruitment company, worked as a researcher on any project I could find and then worked in social rehabilitation for 3 years.

If you are interested in pursuing psychology as a professional career, its a long road, but very worthwhile at the end!!!!!

Advertisement