Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electives for bringing up your G.P.A.?

Options
  • 10-12-2009 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Any advice on 1st year modules that are fairly straightforward? Which of the beginner language courses did people find most interesting/enjoyable/easy?!:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I particularly enjoyed Japanese when I did it. Pick whichever one interests you most (and actually has spaces!) though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭jamser89

Thanks!Anyone have any idea what the German for beginners course is like? Is there much homework to do outside of the classes etc.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

jamser89 wrote: »
    Thanks!Anyone have any idea what the German for beginners course is like? Is there much homework to do outside of the classes etc.?
    I did it this semester, the material is pretty handy only my lectures were on from 6-8pm on a wednesday which was pretty inconvenient so I only made about 4 of them.

Any mcq exams or modules where there's no final exam? Preferrably introductory science modules

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Information and communications technology in Computer science and algorithmic problem solving are both handy enough. Think they might only be 1st semester though.

German is grand. A lot of continuous assessment including participation/attendance, mid term, oral and final exam. Useful enough aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

There's a first year geology module that is just a field trip to Antrim or somewhere for a weekend to do some project. No exam you just have to write up a report but there's probably some co-requisites to do the module.

Another good science one to do is Algorithmic problem solving, it's a first year comp science module. Interesting subject, easy enough exam and the lecturer is very sound so that should bring your gpa up a good bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Land Use and the Environment (AESC 10010) with John Feehan, probably the best module I ever did in UCD.

Any 2nd semester modules though? think those modules are 1st semester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Any 2nd semester modules though? think those modules are 1st semester.

Formal Foundations (COMP10070) is second semester as far as I remember. No final exam and pretty light workload.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

I did a social policy elective last year. Approaches to Social Issues.

Absolutely great class. 1200 word essay worth 50% and hour exam for the rest. Well worth it.

Glad to see some people are using the elective system correctly!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

Polish was good craic, small class, about 12 of us if I remember correctly. Tape test was tricky but the rest was a piece of cake. The written exam was like join the dots meets MCQ. Got a B+ with minimal effort.
    DO IT!

Does anyone know what the third year history module The Birth and Death of Yugoslavia is like??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

Does anyone know what the third year history module The Birth and Death of Yugoslavia is like??
    Probably a gigantic cluster****, like Yugoslavia itself.

On Topic:
    Introduction to Programming. Easiest A in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

El Siglo wrote: »
    Land Use and the Environment (AESC 10010) with John Feehan, probably the best module I ever did in UCD.

I think a friend did that course, did he tell you the exact questions that were coming up on the exam?

Biology for the modern world is very interesting and fairly easy if you're interested in that area. It's kind of a social commentary on current matters within biology. It's a first semester module though. Had the mcq exam this morning and with little to no study (many harder, more important exams ahead) I knew the answers to pretty much all the qs.

I did beginners spanish two years ago it was interesting, enjoyable and easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

There's a first year geology module that is just a field trip to Antrim or somewhere for a weekend to do some project. No exam you just have to write up a report but there's probably some co-requisites to do the module.

Ye, this module requires you to take all the other 1st year geology modules to be eligible for it, did it last year.
    Its also more than a weekend. Its 4 days, during the midterm break in March and as much fun as it was the workload almost killed me for those few days.

Whats the exam like in Principles of Macroeconomics? 1st year module.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 JBUCD

33% God wrote: »
    Probably a gigantic cluster****, like Yugoslavia itself.

On Topic:
    Introduction to Programming. Easiest A in the world.

They changed it for people doing it as an elective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

JBUCD wrote: »
    They changed it for people doing it as an elective.
    Really? What is it now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 JBUCD

33% God wrote: »
    Really? What is it now?
    Not sure exactly. Anyone tell us whats the difference. But they divided up the Comp Sci students and the students doing it as an elective.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Introduction to Cognitive Science - Most interesting module I've done in Ucd. Excellent lecturer and easy exam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Korvanica wrote: »
    Introduction to Cognitive Science - Most interesting module I've done in Ucd. Excellent lecturer and easy exam.

1st or 2nd semster? My elective in Sem2 is fairly meh, wouldn't mind trying to find somethig better. I'd say places are full for the best ones though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Jaybl

Korvanica wrote: »
    Im doing this course next semester so good to hear. Also doing my other elective this semester. (Comp Forensics)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 scange01

+1 for Algorithm Problem Solving. Could you solve the Cabbage, Sheep and Wolf problem as a child? That's pretty much an exam question.

And if you have any kind of competency with Maths, or if you're doing Micro/Macro, Intro to Quantitative Economics.
    A not so hidden secret which led to one course actually being banned this year from doing it as an elective.

How did people find the beginners spanish course?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Drawing systems.

Its first year tech graphics (secondary school) and is tailored to the architecture students who have no time for more than one lecture a week, we do be busy with projects.

So three submissions, no exam, and one 2 hour lecture a week.

And its easy if you have done tech drawing before, or even if you havn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

How did people find the beginners spanish course?

Absolutely beautiful if its done through the applied languages centre.

Learn some really practical stuff and its mainly done through oral work. The first class i went to was in week 6 an i still managed a b- so its not a huge workload either

MrKingsley wrote: »
    The first class i went to was in week 6 an i still managed a b- so its not a huge workload either

did you not miss out on assessment then by missing the first 5 weeks?lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Has anyone done 'psychology of perception' as an elective. I chose it for next semester but not sure about it now..

Has anyone done 'psychology of perception' as an elective. I chose it for next semester but not sure about it now..

Don't worry Aidan Moran is a great lecturer. Lectures very enjoyable and interesting and exams weren't too stressful!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 CRoche09

Economics and society in first year is pretty simple....The lecturers arent great though. Cormac O Grada - an old man who seems to be constantly on his period and Colm McCarty - who is good but just does random stuff and its not very interesting.

Its 2 lectures a week, and 2 hour exam and a mid term. Its not exactly interesting but it could be easy to do well in it if you just put in a bit of work..

Advertisement