Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

another dog question

Options
  • 10-12-2009 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

my 10 month old retriever x had her first heat back in late sept i have noticed some drops of blood around the place this morning....... and she has been lickin herself more often the last few days !!!!
    how many heats should a dog get in a year :confused:
    is it normal to get on so quick after the other:confused:
    is it another heat she is havin now:confused:what will i do sorry for being so stupid:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Most dogs have two seasons a year. However, our rottie had one in July (at 8 months old) followed by a phantom pregnancy shortly after which put her into a second season in September.

It's not normal to have then this close together.

Best bet would be to ring your vet and discuss with them. It might be a sign that she has some reproductive issues.

Spaying her will prevent her coming into season again.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

The average is 3 heats over two years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

The general rule is 2 season per year but its not set in stone, it can sometimes vary. As she is still young and still maturing I wouldn't worry too much, its quiet possible the first season she had in Sept was a false season and just her body preparing itself for a real season. If it continues to happen 3 months apart I would consult a vet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 dublindogcare

Hi,
    yes the number varies slightly but in general 2/3 per year. she does seem to be showing the signs of heat again so be careful , and keep her out of reach of males.

Bitches generally go into season from anything from 6-14mths old so looks like yours was an early starter. And it is slightly odd her having another one so soon. But i wouldnt worry too much , give your vet a cal to put your mind at ease (if you cant speak to your vet, tell the receptionist to get him to call you) at the end of the day thats what he's there for !)

Im assuming your not planning on breeding her? would you not get her spayed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭roxiesmammy

if at all worried bring her to vet. As they say better safe than sorry

• Advertisement
Advertisement