Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advertising public transport

• 10-12-2009 12:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,346 ✭✭✭

Here's some food for thought. We know that a lot of the problems with public transport in Dublin come from government or DoT inaction but I think some parts of Dublin have a really good service but people don't know about it. DB ran an advertising campaign (The bus, do you get it yet?) earlier this year and TaxSaver are running some adverts in the papers at the moment but it's all fairly half-hearted and easy to ignore. I think there's a lot DB and IR could do but aren't. Here's a video about LA Metro who started really advertising their services last year. I don't see why DB don't do the same.

This morning, the 27x took me from Raheeny/Coolock to College Green in a little over 20 minutes at rush hour. They should be advertising the hell out of that! It's a huge achievement from the QBN PO and Dublin Bus and beats the car any time. There should be a giant banners printed on the buses showing how quick it is.

No-one can question the speed, frequency or reliability of the Green luas line (and to a lesser extent the Red luas line) but there are still people who don't know much about it. A staggering number of people I work with (in Sandyford) don't know where it goes or how fast it is. I know there will always be people you can't get through to but that's disappointing.

My annual DB & Luas ticket costs me €680 through the TaxSaver scheme. Considering I do a 36km round trip each day, it works out at 7c per km which is great value. If I use the bus at weekends, it makes it even cheaper.

So, I guess my question is why don't DB and IR try harder?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

good question and good video

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

markpb wrote: »
    So, I guess my question is why don't DB and IR try harder?

Im surprised you asked that question Mark.

The CIE approach to advertising is always one of a corporate branding nature. Aside from random and limited radio, print and poster campaigns, this company does not feel the need to heavily market itself as an alternative to the car. Its not a private company and continues to rely on its Government shareholder to bail it out. With that cushion (despite a decrease in subvention) it generates a management culture that is identical to the public sector. The differences between semi state and state bodies is non-existant. They are identical in terms of work/management practices.

Younger readers or those not familiar with the history of semi states in Ireland will not understand the "culture" aspect that has developed over many years.Which is why I suspect we get into so many arguments about it here.

All the CIE companies (particularly IE) blew millions on irrelevant ad campaigns that did nothing but boast and brag about new equipment they were getting. During the good times they failed to innovate in terms of advertising, preferring to go with the "look at all the new toys we are buying" approach, while the media was bursting with stories about how crap their customer services were and the roads were gridlocked.

The only recent ads Im seeing now for IE are to inform people that in the run up to Christmas services into and out off Heuston are are being substituted by bus connections a certain times over the weekends.

Another cracking innovation from a CIE company at the busiest time of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po_I7tFEL-8

One of the last worthwhile ad campaigns run by CIE - a far cry from the Craig Doyle ****e. :D and I do love an AHHH class loco!

For Craig Doyle fans - if there are any? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2Pm8wIDXF0&feature=related ...so funny I nearly brought up my dinner!!!

and when it comes to irrelevant advertising which promotes nothing how about this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rIzRGRnoLI&feature=PlayList&p=AF60E0C5D3939421&index=103

Advertisement