Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Storage problems.

• 10-12-2009 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

I have a acer laptop that claims to have 120gb hdd. It seems to be divided into two locations. ACER(C) which is 50.6gb and data(D) which is 47.1gb.

The problem is everything is getting saved to the Acer C drive and I have now run out of space,100% full. I'm constantly being asked to delete unwanted files to make room.All this while the data(d) location is 100% empty.

Two question I have really are, why isn't any saved files spread out over both locations and also why does it only look like I have 97.7gb of storage?

Finally would I be correct in saying that the balance of the 120gb has being assigned to the operating system etc?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

its a common issue. there are a few ways to sort it easily

1. ccleaner - a program that would clean your drive of unwanted/temporary files

http://www.ccleaner.com/download

2. If your Documents are located in the C: you can move them to the D:
    Click start, right click my documents, under target, direct it to your D: drive and that should clear up some more space on your C drive.

While there may be some unallocated space on your hard drive, most companies specify how much data can be saved when you compress the hard drives :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Stuff will only be saved to the D: drive if you specify it. Any time you save a file you should get an option where to save it. If you just click to accept the default suggested location, it'll likely go to C:

You've only got 97GB or storage because:
    a) A 120GB drive is only like 111GB if you count the bytes in binary.
    b) The rest is probably take up with a hidden recovery partition.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Stuff will only be saved to the D: drive if you specify it. Any time you save a file you should get an option where to save it. If you just click to accept the default suggested location, it'll likely go to C:

You've only got 97GB or storage because:
    a) A 120GB drive is only like 111GB if you count the bytes in binary.
    b) The rest is probably take up with a hidden recovery partition.

ah yeah that too. some laptop manufacturers con people a bit though specifying a certain size HD but only if its compressed :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

To move your 'My documents', you will have to (this is for XP btw)

1. Right click 'my documents' on the desktop.
    2. Select 'properties'
    3. click 'move'
    4. Navigate to D: drive (or whatever your second partition is), and click 'make new folder'.
    5. Call this folder 'My Documents'
    6. Hit enter, then enter again IIRC
    7. Windows should ask if you want to move the contents of 'My Documents', click 'yes'.

This may take a bit of time depending on how much stuff you have in there, but will move the entire contents of the My Documents folder, and will target the new location. Merely changing the target will not move the contents.

For Vista (you will have to repeat this for Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos etc etc)
    1. Right click 'Documents*' folder, and chose properties.
    2. On the 'Location' tab, click 'move'.
    3. Continue from Step 4 above.**

* This must be done for Documents, Video's, Music etc etc
    ** Instead of calling the folder 'My Documents' call it 'Documents' or 'Music' or 'Pictures' (whichever is the folder you are moving).

In order to change where your programs are installing to, ensure to change the path in the Installer program when installing or;

You can change the default install location that is automatically chosen, but it involves some registry tweaking (if you're comfortable with that).

1. Type “regedit” in Vista start menu search box or in Run dialog box (for XP) and hit enter to continue.

2. Navigate to the following registry key in the Registry Editor:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

3. Locate the value named “ProgramFilesDir” and change the default value “C:\Program Files” to your new directory path(address).

4. Close the registry editor and reboot your system to apply the change.

5. Good luck!

This should work for Vista, Win 7, XP, Win 2000

Advertisement