Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plans for the square next to The Docks that was used for Volvo Race week?

Options
  • 10-12-2009 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    the square accross the road from the docks (where the oil containers were) are now idle.
    Does anyone know what the plan for this space is?
    I think it'd be ideal for the market (the one that's off Shop Street at weekend)- would be more spacious and could hold more stalls....

Comments

It is owned by a property developer.

The market is on that site for many centuries as far as I know, probably since the city was founded.
    If you were to move the market I would prefer somewhere indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'd prefer it if it was left open and we could have festivals and beer tents there again next summer, probably not gonna happen - more glass and concrete offices most likely...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I think city centre accomodation for visiting travellers was the last i heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

If I owned it I'd be using it as a carpark now for the next month! Plenty of space for Christmas shoppers to park and just a short walk from shop street - surely a money maker.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

snubbleste wrote: »
    I think city centre accomodation for visiting travellers was the last i heard.

by travellers i hope you mean tourists and not the caravan wielding type of travellers. :D

They should just use it as a venu for outdoor bands. Do a bit of work on the area but i think it would be a great city center asset to put a permanent stage in there.

Maybe a semi covered area like this
    http://dpmfabricstructures.com/sitebuilder/images/Amtrak_Outdoor_Terminal_Staging_Area-455x295.jpg

they would have to do a bit of work to put in facilities. Toilets, bar, lighting, sound, stage. Would be very nice during the summer months

• Advertisement

Would be very nice during the summer months
    But not necessarily for the neighbours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

A proper flea market would be cool, on a Saturday or Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

It doesn't matter what plans are made for that spot, there will be a tonne of objections that will delay and ruin any good development.

Sure there's even a councilor objecting to the Ceannt Station Quarter development. She said the whole thing is " sheer lunacy" because it is being fueled by "greed and profit" :rolleyes:. Well you hardly expect them to spend €1 BILLION on regenerating the area and for them to not expect to make any money or profit :rolleyes:.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/9780-city-centre-plans-branded-sheer-lunacy

A pathetic excuse for a councillor. Galway would be better off without her objecting to everything. She's only trying to hold The City back.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

But not necessarily for the neighbours

Indeed. A lot of us chose this location 'cos it's close to town but away from the lunacy of Shop St. 'Twas grand hearing all the concerts, louder than the people actually at the docks heard 'em, from my balcony during the VOR. Speaking for myself, a boating festival every June bank holiday, we can handle. A concert once a week in summer, we're gonna object to.

Re the tourists vs travellers ... I'm sure I was spreading a rumour that it was going to turn into a giant hardstand. But I was pretty confident that it wouldn't be allowed to happen - and would be protesting if it did. (On traffic congestion ground, of course ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

I was thinking as well on the flea market, one for local products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

JustMary wrote: »
    Indeed. A lot of us chose this location 'cos it's close to town but away from the lunacy of Shop St. 'Twas grand hearing all the concerts, louder than the people actually at the docks heard 'em, from my balcony during the VOR. Speaking for myself, a boating festival every June bank holiday, we can handle. A concert once a week in summer, we're gonna object to.

Re the tourists vs travellers ... I'm sure I was spreading a rumour that it was going to turn into a giant hardstand. But I was pretty confident that it wouldn't be allowed to happen - and would be protesting if it did. (On traffic congestion ground, of course ;) )

ah well i dont live there so thats all that matters. haha. only messin.

ya i suppose there are alot of apartments in the area.

Silent concert kinda like silent disco with headphones and stuff. haha.

Advertisement