Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

English Students/Graduates? :)

• 10-12-2009 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hello!
    I'm in sixth year stressing about the CAO. I'm really into the idea of doing English and its always been a dream of mine to go to Trinity, but I have some issues with the course...
    In UCD it seems you can pick what modules you do in first year, and as well as that you can take other subjects as minors etc., and that appeals to me.
    But in Trinity I think the modules are compulsory? And if I take English as a TSM, just for the variety of doing another subject, I'm worried ill miss out of some of the stuff I would have got to do in a pure English degree.

If any of you are currently studying English id appreciate some opinions :)
    just let me know what you think of the course and any problems etc.

Also, student life at TCD?

Thank You.

S
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 mattysullivan

Hello,

I be a Single Honours Englsh Freshman... So I was purdy much in your position this time last year.
    Modules are compulsory in first (and second, I think) year, but seriously, don't let this affect your decision. The course has been revamped for my year, and I like it. Looking back now I can remember thinking I'd like/dislike certain modules, but the truth is you can't really know at all til you get in there and do them.

If you're into what UCD offers that's kewl, but I ruled them out for English pretty much immediately. Because it's more difficult to get into English in Trinity, and because you can't just pop into modules that you like the sound of, you're in class with people who actually care about it.. I can't know what the quality of the teaching is like in UCD, but from my friends I know that a lot of them take English classes that no ones gives two ****s about.
    However I also ruled UCD out in general because of it's close proximity to my school meant I'd know a lot of people there, which wasn't to my liking.
    It all depends what you're looking for really..

As for the difference between TSM modules and SH modules:
    I think there is nice stuff you miss out on by only doing TSM. And the course as a whole works very well together... But that's always going to be the way: the more literature you're exposed to, the more you read into and possibly enjoy other texts. So far I've found it to be a fairly even split - as in I like the SH-modules taken together about as much as I do the TSM ones.. But that's fairly irrelevant cause it's so subjective and I've only done one term of modules.
    I went for SH in the end because the other subject I was offered wasn't as interesting as just doing more English...

Quick note on student life: It's the bomb. There's always something to do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Although its horribly elitist and wankery, I really do have to say that you should avoid doing arts in UCD. Points mean f all really, but the course structure is vastly different as is what the university expects from you. For example, it is against the interests of UCD to make exams and assignments difficult as people will just fail and drop out - hence UCD will loose a valuable revenue stream. In Trinity the challenges are different and geared at a higher level, and the degree is internationally recognised as superior. So please don't confuse the two (Most people who do UCD Arts generally just want a 3 year break so as to decide what to do with their lives, thats not the same in Trinners)

Advertisement