Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC / NTL Issue

Options
  • 10-12-2009 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi Folks,

Just looking for some info here,

A few years back I had NTL TV and Broadband, I left them after a year due to service issues. I had 3 points (2 TV 1 Broadband) in the NTL box on the side of my house I had 4 cables and 1 3-1 splitter. The 1 being the main NTL cable.

When I left this NTL cable had a terminater put on the end of it to stop usage.

My issue is this.

When I bought the house (Brand New) the Box had 2 cables and a splitter waiting for the NTL cable to be connected. When we got NTL I had them install a Third cable and upgrade the splitter. I paid €30 for this installation.

A few years on, and I have just got UPC broadband installed. and true to form the 20mb line gives me 1mb, so I have had engineers out. they said ideally the modem should be 7ft off the ground. (ODD I THOUGHT), but I remembered that I should still be connected upstairs as I had previously had paid for that setup.

I brought the modem up and there was no signal.

I went out to the box and the splitter had being removed.

I called NTL and they got <snip> (The Installers) to call me, and they claim that it is NTL's property and was in their SOP to take it.

If I paid for the install, Including cable and new splitter on the previous install... Should they be mine?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I'd agree they shoukd be yours but knowing them they have small print.

As for the 7ft thing, I have never ever heard that, I had huge issues with their broadband and had about 11 or 12 different visits to the house and not one ever ever mentioned the box needing to be 7 ft off the ground, ever. Chancer maybe? I have a 7meg line from bt / vodafone now and I'm happy with it, ok not quite as nippy as the 20meg I had but it works all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Thumbprint

My dealings in just over a month are comical with them.

3rd Nov, Install cancelled as they could not get into the NTL box in the ground as a builder had cement sand over it down the road. I had to get that sorted.

4th Nov, Install completed, but only 15mb. (told thats to be expected)

Nov 7th, Speed drops to 1.3mb, Engineers called out.

Nov 13th, engineers come out, put a filter on the line, say it should be 7ft off the ground, and break my front door.

Nov 14th, Engineers arrive to do the work done the previous day.

Nov 15th, We get disconnected, when I call I am told that the engineers on the 14th had the account reset.

Nov 25th, complain again as the speed has dropped down to 2-3mb and get a bill for €104 instead of the €48.

Dec 7th, I get a response from UPC, sorry for the delay and that they are looking into it.

Dec 8th, I have €30 connection fee refunded from the sales dept for the connection fee. I mention I have noticed that the cabling and splitter have been removed and I want them back.

Dec 9th, I get emails saying my engineers callout due on Fri 11th is on the Sat 12th, I called and they say, Ops,,,, sorry about that.

Dec 10th, <snip> call and say Its their property and if they want it they can take it.

Dec 10th, I get a text message stating that my account is overdue.
    even though I have not had the 20mb line working for a period longer than 5 hours.

And something tells me its not over yet

I would be better off using smoke signals

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Thumbprint wrote: »
    If I paid for the install, Including cable and new splitter on the previous install... Should they be mine?

Nope, it's the property of NTL. All the cabling they furnish, and splitters remain their property. In fact, in some cases the existing co-ax in your apartment might be theirs as well! You're paying 30 quid towards a subsidised cost of the engineer call out. It's like when you pay, say, 50 quid for a digital box install. You own nothing after that either, it's all the property of NTL.

Which, of course, doesn't excuse their behaviour and treatment of you.

Advertisement