Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fed up of stereotyping!!!

• 10-12-2009 2:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭

Maybe I'm putting this in the wrong area...

I'm just wondering and I'm sure there are, other people who are just fed up of the stereotypes that owners of modified cars are placed in!

We always crash, we go fast, we tailgate the whole time, the whole 'boy racer' thing which I hate!!

I know there are some who are always ditching it and stuff but surely we shouldn't be all branded the same???

Your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Ah it does my head in too but to be fair, most of the people that slag me are my friends, like they have no interest in cars and just slag me for driving a white Honda!!

I dunno what you're really looking for...but yeah! It makes me angry too!!! Grrr! :D

But as far as speeding is concerned, I think the big exec cars are the worst, I tried overtaking a S320 on the M4 a few weeks ago, was quite late and he was doing about 100, so I go to overtake and he stays side by side with me until i'm quite a bit over 120...I just said "Ok then" went back in behind him and he slowed down to 100 again...now that annoys me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1193
    Was quite late and he was doing about 100

Thats why most people would call you a boy racer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1193

Thats why most people would call you a boy racer.

Going 100km/h in a 120km/h gives people the right to call you a boy racer? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

draffodx wrote: »
    Going 100km/h in a 120km/h gives people the right to call you a boy racer? :confused:

I'm still living in mph, my bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    I dunno what you're really looking for...but yeah! It makes me angry too!!! Grrr! :D

Sorry I didn't explain myself so good, I just seem to get stared at and pulled over by guards every day of the week, does anyone else get it or am I special :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

YbFocus wrote: »
    Maybe I'm putting this in the wrong area...

I'm just wondering and I'm sure there are, other people who are just fed up of the stereotypes that owners of modified cars are placed in!

We always crash, we go fast, we tailgate the whole time, the whole 'boy racer' thing which I hate!!

I know there are some who are always ditching it and stuff but surely we shouldn't be all branded the same???

Your thoughts?

im fed up with poor examples of modified cars, im sick of no-nothings talking like their a true greeze monkey, im sick to death of halfords jobs , im sick to death of mostt every form of expession through the medium of car modification.

You can afford to do it, but you still do

your car isnt fast so you make it loud

your car isnt loud so you make it louder

your penis is small so you make it even louder again

you add type R, vtec etc badges to cars that clearly arent what you say they are...

what else...

Bad paint jobs, ****ty replica wheels, crappy body kits, ugly fella's thinkign they'll pull hoar's just because they spent 10k on their polo/fiesta/focus etc

eh whatelse...

go faster stripes, lack of any driving talent, people who think " diffin " is cool, it Really isnt, its about a dynamic a sport as marmalade eating is.

need i continue ?

I never get any trouble from the Gardai, have never been pulled or even stopped for no reason at a checkpoint.

My car isn't loud, I drive it responsibly and I never get hassle from the Gardai or even other road users (apart from the odd gob****e in his Tdi that has a go and I just laugh at him)

The general public are simply ignorant, they'll believe anything and with newspapers and news pumpin out the "Boy Racer" stereotype and the RSA's ridiculous adverts there no chance that the general public will ever see the real side of the proper modification or performance car scene.

Lots of charity events happen every year through modified/performance owners clubs and forums yet there not covered by media or news, why? Because if doesn't sell papers. If joe soap see's modified/performance cars doing some good he'll get confused and think the paper is lying as all them lads are baseball hat wearing chavvies :rolleyes:

Pdfile wrote: »
    im fed up with poor examples of modified cars, im sick of no-nothings talking like their a true greeze monkey, im sick to death of halfords jobs , im sick to death of mostt every form of expession through the medium of car modification.

you add type R, vtec etc badges to cars that clearly arent what you say they are...

what else...

Bad paint jobs, ****ty replica wheels, crappy body kits, ugly fella's thinkign they'll pull hoar's just because they spent 10k on their polo/fiesta/focus etc

eh whatelse...

go faster stripes, lack of any driving talent, people who think " diffin " is cool, it Really isnt, its about a dynamic a sport as marmalade eating is.

need i continue ?

My car was not a halfords job, nothing was bought from there,
    I could afford to do it and spent money doing it right,
    My car sounds completely standard and makes no noise whatsoever,
    My car is not an ST Focus or an RS so it has no badges anywhere or stickers,
    I paid almost 2000 euro for the spraying the kit and it fits like factory,
    I also don't have replica wheels,
    No racing stripes, flames etc.

Drifting is a good sport and it's now a worldwide recognoised motorsport so the same as touring cars or anything else you can find!

And you can see for yourself too, can you find something on your list here?

attachment.php?attachmentid=95642&d=1257766234

I never get any trouble from the Gardai, have never been pulled or even stopped for no reason at a checkpoint.

My car isn't loud, I drive it responsibly and I never get hassle from the Gardai or even other road users (apart from the odd gob****e in his Tdi that has a go and I just laugh at him)

The general public are simply ignorant, they'll believe anything and with newspapers and news pumpin out the "Boy Racer" stereotype and the RSA's ridiculous adverts there no chance that the general public will ever see the real side of the proper modification or performance car scene.

Lots of charity events happen every year through modified/performance owners clubs and forums yet there not covered by media or news, why? Because if doesn't sell papers. If joe soap see's modified/performance cars doing some good he'll get confused and think the paper is lying as all them lads are baseball hat wearing chavvies :rolleyes:

Your right about the whole charity events thing man, I never thought of how the paper would affect everyone's view but your right!

Drifting is a good sport and it's now a worldwide recognoised motorsport so the same as touring cars or anything else you can find!

Diffen is different to drifting though.

Diffen is some ejit in a car park making his rwd car go around in circles, I think that is an absolute waste of time and is part of the "showboating" element that leads to the negative side of modified and performance cars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Sorry I didn't explain myself so good, I just seem to get stared at and pulled over by guards every day of the week, does anyone else get it or am I special :D

I have had this experience, I had an ex who had a civic and the guards followed us a few times. My ex was terrified of damaging the bloody thing so he used to drive at a slow enough pace (used to drive me mad!) anyway we were pulled over one day actually doing 40-45mph! Told us to get out, checked every inch of the car asked him 50 questions and then asked me to empty my bag on the seat! ffs

It was ridiculous, neither of us with so much as a speeding fine at the time! He was looking for something that wasn't there because of the car he drove. :rolleyes:

Jemmy wrote: »
    I have had this experience, I had an ex who had a civic and the guards followed us a few times. My ex was terrified of damaging the bloody thing so he used to drive at a slow enough pace (used to drive me mad!) anyway we were pulled over one day actually doing 40-45mph! Told us to get out, checked every inch of the car asked him 50 questions and then asked me to empty my bag on the seat! ffs

It was ridiculous, neither of us with so much as a speeding fine at the time! He was looking for something that wasn't there because of the car he drove. :rolleyes:

Yeah thats the sort of thing stopped and searched for drugs or whatever,
    Saying they'll have to impound the car when there's nothing wrong!
    If you stand up to them and ask them why though they back down very quick, because you can report them for harassment!! :D

Diffen is different to drifting though.

Diffen is some ejit in a car park making his rwd car go around in circles, I think that is an absolute waste of time and is part of the "showboating" element that leads to the negative side of modified and performance cars

Yeah well I dont agree with that at all either, there the boys I suppose everyone sees when they think of a boy racer!

Yeah thats the sort of thing stopped and searched for drugs or whatever,
    Saying they'll have to impound the car when there's nothing wrong!
    If you stand up to them and ask them why though they back down very quick, because you can report them for harassment!! :D

Lol yea first time it happened so I said nothing, dodgy town to do anything to upset anyone tbh. It's ridiculous though, noone in his family never did a thing wrong either, they had no grounds to do what thye did to us.

Funny thing was I was in the process of applying to the guards at the time! Had more trouble from them on another incident and soon changed my mind half way through the application process! lol If I was stopped now I would question them tho.

Lol yea first time it happened so I said nothing, dodgy town to do anything to upset anyone tbh. It's ridiculous though, noone in his family never did a thing wrong either, they had no grounds to do what thye did to us.

Funny thing was I was in the process of applying to the guards at the time! Had more trouble from them on another incident and soon changed my mind half way through the application process! lol If I was stopped now I would question them tho.

You just need one line, just go ' so what exactly is wrong with the car?'
    They usually just tell you to go on then!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What car do you drive OP?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What car do you drive OP?

This :D I love it!

attachment.php?attachmentid=95642&d=1257766234

I have to agree tho, it's the little sh*ts in the glanzas/starlets etc that cause these stereotypes. They break into carparks down my way and of course everyone hears about it... Oh its those folk with their souped up cars'!!! :rolleyes:

I have to agree tho, it's the little sh*ts in the glanzas/starlets etc that cause these stereotypes. They break into carparks down my way and of course everyone hears about it... Oh its those folk with their souped up cars'!!! :rolleyes:

Yes theres a few of them alright, quite a few, I doubt it'll ever change though, the minute they get a licence, the first glanza they meet and there gone roaring! But it's not all them either, there are a few good lads aswell :)

Yes theres a few of them alright, quite a few, I doubt it'll ever change though, the minute they get a licence, the first glanza they meet and there gone roaring! But it's not all them either, there are a few good lads aswell :)

Oh I know, all to well!

Had a very funny encounter with one in a starlet last week, thats why it was the first car that popped into my head! He got quite embarrassed when I burst out laughing at him, trying to act so cool in his little piece of metal in front of me, I just couldnt hold back the laughter! :p

Am I cruel?!

• Advertisement

Oh I know, all to well!

Had a very funny encounter with one in a starlet last week, thats why it was the first car that popped into my head! He got quite embarrassed when I burst out laughing at him, trying to act so cool in his little piece of metal in front of me, I just couldnt hold back the laughter! :p

Yeah it's just about the worst car money can buy, but they think they're lords going around in it! Leaving it in first and roaring up the street to get as much attention as possible! :D

It's hilarious how they act when you think about it, there at such a lean in the car their almost in the passenger seat, so low they can hardly see out over the dash!!!

No god no not a bit, he should be treated like a knob if he acts like one!

Yeah it's just about the worst car money can buy, but they think they're lords going around in it! Leaving it in first and roaring up the street to get as much attention as possible! :D

It's hilarious how they act when you think about it, there at such a lean in the car their almost in the passenger seat, so low they can hardly see out over the dash!!!

No god no not a bit, he should be treated like a knob if he acts like one!

There are so many in carlow with those irriating dump values, going up and down the one VERY SHORT little street with ramps on it outside my old apartment block. :rolleyes:

This guy I couldnt help but laugh at he came over a pedestrian crossing after letting a lady cross and there was only room for about 3/4 the other side til he met the traffic stopped and he went as fast as he could for the few metres revving the crap out of it, and stoped beside my car as I was going the other way into town and looked in with that I'm so cool, aren't you impressed look on his face me being a girl (or a hoar as Pdfile puts it :rolleyes:) I'm meant to be impressed...que me almost wetting myself with laughter. I could see his mates giving him a hard time when they saw me in stitches at him! What an idiot!

Ah good times! :p

Edit: Sorry ill stop now, derailing the stereotype question here!

All that roaring and he's going nowhere fast! Ahh sure it's probably as fast as a Ferrari if ya ask him! I know a guy who will swear that his BMW 320i is every bit as fast as an M3 and that he often races them!

All this showing off must be compensating for something.. :D

Ahh well we're pointing out the exact ones, we're not stereotyping with the one brush like!

Going a bit off topic there ladies & gentlemen,

Keep it to the thread topic and off bashing certain types of cars,

YbFocus you in your original post were complaining about being stereotyped yet you've went ahead and stereotyped starlet drivers :p

So back on topic please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

I know a guy who will swear that his BMW 320i is every bit as fast as an M3 and that he often races them!

Maybe he's racing M3 replicas and doesnt realise it?!;):p

Going a bit off topic there ladies & gentlemen,

Keep it to the thread topic and off bashing certain types of cars,

YbFocus you in your original post were complaining about being stereotyped yet you've went ahead and stereotyped starlet drivers :p

So back on topic please

Yeah soz mod, we did alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

I know why Glanza's have a bad name, same reason as the Type R's and all the rest, but in fairness to Glanza's, they are quick lil things!!!

A chap I know had one and I really liked bein in it.

And pdfile, stop trolling every thread you see will ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

^^ Indeed, a well tuned glanza or gt starlet will eat alot of cars in a straight line. They have cheaper tax and insurance too hence why they're popular.

As far as the sterotyping goes, it hasn't effected me at all really. I suppose its not too load unless you go high up the rev range and that generally doesn't happen unless im overtaking.

1.6 lump in your focus Yb? No multistorey car parks for you I bet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Apparently I'm one of those boy racers....honda civic, woop de dooh.

1.3 litre engine, as if it's capable of speeding :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

This is why i love driving a Volkswagen,vw's don't have a bad name at all :D If i pull up at a check point the garda asks me about the price of cattle :D

tossy wrote: »
    This is why i love driving a Volkswagen,vw's don't have a bad name at all :D If i pull up at a check point the garda asks me about the price of cattle :D
    Or they ask is that petrol engine really a diesel, fuckin noise of it ;)

Or they ask is that petrol engine really a diesel, fuckin noise of it ;)

:D yeah and is there a bearing gone with the whine out of it! It's funny looking at garda doing a double take over their shoulder as you try and 'gently' pull away :D

:D yeah and is there a bearing gone with the whine out of it! It's funny looking at garda doing a double take over their shoulder as you try and 'gently' pull away :D
    While you try to gently pull away, you didn't realise you totally shot past first and went into reverse with that useless layout and shoot backwards :P

Saw it happen, was two cars behind, happened to be my mate who just got the car, I fucking lol'd.

While you try to gently pull away, you didn't realise you totally shot past first and went into reverse with that useless layout and shoot backwards :P

Saw it happen, was two cars behind, happened to be my mate who just got the car, I fucking lol'd.

You would want to be pretty stupid to do that,considering you have to push down to get reverse! :D

You would want to be pretty stupid to do that,considering you have to push down to get reverse! :D
    Ever slap it into gear, yeah, you know what I mean :P

• Advertisement

I can honestly say that has never happened to me :D

I can honestly say that has never happened to me :D
    Some have it lucky, wasnt me that did it btw, I drive a shiviccccckkk schwarrrr

Sorry :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

Some have it lucky, wasnt me that did it btw, I drive a shiviccccckkk schwarrrr
    Sorry :P

Bloody Boy Racers.... ^^^ :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

It's pretty fast, 0 - 60 in 5.4 seconds
    It's loud but I have a silencer for road use to keep it legal
    I've never had any complaints
    I actually took all the stickers off mine ( which came standard on the car), the only one that remains is a Tuning Factory logo on the back, mostly because they did work to it
    what else...

My paint is good, i've got genuine Rota lightweight wheels, no body kit, i'm an average looking guy with a steady girlfriend driving a respectable make.

eh whatelse...

No stripes on mine, i've driven a lot of track days, i'm leading the karting championship i'm involved in, I cant go " diffin " because I drive a FWD car
    need i continue ?

I do know what you mean tho, there are a horrific amount of cars that are modded so badly, totally halfords-ized. I too hate people that go for chrome whels, wolfrace katanas, body kits, type r stickers etc. But please don't tar people who are genuinely in to their cars with the same brush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

You would have to be an idiot

• Advertisement

Flyer1 wrote: »

It's pretty fast, 0 - 60 in 5.4 seconds
    It's loud but I have a silencer for road use to keep it legal
    I've never had any complaints
    I actually took all the stickers off mine ( which came standard on the car), the only one that remains is a Tuning Factory logo on the back, mostly because they did work to it
    what else...

My paint is good, i've got genuine Rota lightweight wheels, no body kit, i'm an average looking guy with a steady girlfriend driving a respectable make.

eh whatelse...

No stripes on mine, i've driven a lot of track days, i'm leading the karting championship i'm involved in, I can go " diffin " because I drive a FWD car
    need i continue ?

I do know what you mean tho, there are a horrific amount of cars that are modded so badly, totally halfords-ized. I too hate people that go for chrome whels, wolfrace katanas, body kits, type r stickers etc. But please don't tar people who are genuinely in to their cars with the same brush.

What type of car have you for curiosity sake??

Sounds like an SiR?

Back on to the topic of stereotyping please lads or I'll be forced to close the thread, Keep anything else to pm's please

Back on to the topic of stereotyping please lads or I'll be forced to close the thread, Keep anything else to pm's please

My Bad sorry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Genuine Rota wheels :D lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I don't have a problem with Rotas, I know quite a few people with them and they're a good wheel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

They're great wheels alright but they copy a lot of designs which is what i thought was funny about the genuine part, slipstreams i think are a copy of spoon wheels for example. Wouldn't bother me as they do lovely wheels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Sounds like an SiR?

Would need a nice turbo (NOS maybe?) to get to 60 in 5.4s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

the rota debate does my head in, yes, they do copy a lot of wheels, but theyre normally wheels that i personally wouldnt spend thousands on to own the originals.

some people would of course and thats cool. but for me, give me a set of rotas anyday over forking out for originals.

though my liner is sittin on 18" advan rg 2's :)

Just yesterday I got a set of Rotas put on my car :)

And on the stereotyping side of it, people generally think you only buy them to avoid having to pay ludicrous prices for real brands :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement