Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bioware or Bethesda?

Options
  • 10-12-2009 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭

Can't make a poll on my phone but these two have had the best recieved rpgs for well into a decade now, with the likes of elder scrolls, mass effect, fallout 3, baldurs gate and kotor. so my question is overall who makes the more enjoyable games overall?

Which do you prefer 47 votes

Bethesda
    0% 0 votes
    Bioware
    100% 47 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 scange01

Bioware FTW! Narration and direction is more important to me than freedom.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

i'll go for bioware

there are positives and negatives though

What they share in common:
    - Excellent voiceovers and scriptwriting
    - Solid gameplay
    - Exceptional support on their websites with regards to issues with their games.

Bethseda Negatives:
    - Their games can be slow paced at times
    - Kinda sold out with the average expansions from Fallout 3

Bioware Negatives
    - Dialogue can be long and painful
    - The 'replay factor'; basically they changed the first half hour of the game and the rest is the same under different factions.

I had more fun gameplaywise with Bioware. Not taking anything away from Bethsedas games at all, but there are points that feel like a grind and bore :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Spaco

I have honestly been blown away by Bethesda's work on the 360.
    Loved Elder Scrolls, really amazing. Was a bit cold towards Fallout 3 at the start, but when i played for the 2nd and 3rd time makes me realise how brilliant it is. Great storytelling, cinematic. Loved it.
    Bioware are good but the games i've played, KOTOR and Mass Effect are good, really enjoyed them both but something about Bethesda just keep me coming back for more and looking forward to seeing what they produce next.
    And i didn't feel the add ons for Fallout 3 were cheap, apart from anchorage, but the others were fun and more than worth the MS points.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It has to be Bioware, yes NWN2 was a clanger but for sheer playablity and enjoyment over a wider range of titles, it has to be Bioware.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

add a sexy poll!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Or at least a sexy party!!!

Gotta go with Bioware, Bethesda have released a few stinkers recently (was Rouge Warrior developed or published by Beth??) while Biowares ahve been all gold quality games. Roll on Mass Effect 2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Atlus are better than both. Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga, Persona, Etrian Odyssey.

I'd also rank Level 5 ahead as well with Rogue Galaxy, Dragon Quest VIII, Jeanne D'arc amongst others.

I do love me some Fallout 3 though. Oblivion didn't do anything for me though.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Atlus are better than both. Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga, Persona, Etrian Odyssey.

I'd also rank Level 5 ahead as well with Rogue Galaxy, Dragon Quest VIII, Jeanne D'arc amongst others.

I do love me some Fallout 3 though. Oblivion didn't do anything for me though.

well add a poll so, mister ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

Ahhh, rarely will I hear Atlus mentioned retr0, +1 :)
    On topic though, to me Bethesda and BioWare seem like apples & oranges, different experiences entirely - still remember playing the first elder scrolls.
    They're both great companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

It's insulting to Bioware to even compare them.
    Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 are up there with the best games of all time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

well add a poll so, mister ;)

Done, and I didn't even spoil it with JRPG publishers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Done, and I didn't even spoil it with JRPG publishers :)

Good. Bloody thread stealing thief!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I've played Bethesdas Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3 and Biowares KotOR, Mass Effect and Dragon age.

Overall i've slightly preferred Bethesdas games mostly because of the freedom to explore and pretty much do what i want in them. While biowares games are great i do feel like im being boxed at times while playing them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

It'll be a long long time before I forgive Bethesda for Oblivion. Bioware haven't steered me wrong yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Thanks for adding the poll retro, i'm going with bioware, loved kotor one played it when i got my xbox more than halo and my oh loves
    mass effect, good strong story,
    beth seem more serious more humor was needed in fallout, some random encounters or pop culture references ala the first two games wouldnt go amiss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Bioware. Baldurs Gate 2. 'nuff said.

Although Morrowind is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭ItsNoAlias

Bioware, mostly because I'v played a lot more of their games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I have played a few titles by both this year and it is a tough call

BioWare cant QA console titles for sh1t though. Buggy game after buggy game

I am currently playing through Dragon Age and while it looks below par and there have been console lock ups, audio errors, cut scenes playing multiple times and glitches which annoy, the gameplay is sufficient to save it from being labelled as poor. The gameplay is unbalanced like most BioWare games I have played, I started it as a Rouge and would have had a much easier time if I started as a Warrior.

Bethesda got so many things wrong in Oblivion, levelling enemies being my main objection but I really enjoyed Fallout 3. A lot of people hated the V.A.T.S system in it but I loved it and really hope it carries into any future Elder Scrolls games.

Retr0 mentioned a lot of Japanese tongue twisters there but unfortunately I have not played any of them :(

Actually I'd be interested in your top 5 "Must Plays" of the current generation Retr0.

Bethesda need to hire some decent writers because their games are really let down by terrible storytelling and poor attempts at humour. It's a shame because they usually have very good story ideas as seen in The Pitt.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Vegeta wrote: »
    Retr0 mentioned a lot of Japanese tongue twisters there but unfortunately I have not played any of them :(

Actually I'd be interested in your top 5 "Must Plays" of the current generation Retr0.

Persons 3
    Persona 4
    Valkyria Chronicles

I am guessing those 3 out of 5! Would try to guess more but I imagine they are Ninty games.

• Advertisement

This generation has been awful for JRPGs. The best JRPGs are on the PS2, PSP and DS. Valkyria Chronicles on PS3 is the only really good one on the big consoles but it's a cracker.

Best of the bunch is Persona 3 and 4, quite possibly 2 of the best JRPGs ever made.

I've heard that Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifiers Call/Nocturne is another amazing game as are the 2 digital devil saga games.

Dragon Quest VIII is pretty much a must play.

On the PSP the best two are Jeanne D'Arc and despite being a rerelease Final Fantasy Tactics.

The DS is filled with amazing JRPGs like the mario and luigi games, Etrian Odyssey and of course Pokemon!

Not a fan of Biowares games ar all but it's personal preference. Isee how people can love them but I just hate the boring inane conversations that I find badly written.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭lazlo

Seifer wrote: »
    It's insulting to Bioware to even compare them.
    Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 are up there with the best games of all time.

They are the best games of all time. Bioware rule the roost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

The gameplay is unbalanced like most BioWare games I have played, I started it as a Rouge and would have had a much easier time if I started as a Warrior.

I found the rogue to be a very good class, well balanced and can wear the same armor as a warrior once they get their strength up. True not as tough as a warrior, but they are not meant to tank... Rogues in dragon age are much tougher and less restrictive than the standard rouges you would find in a total D+D based game.

Myself I would pick Bioware over bethesda. Enjoyed much more of their games over Bethesda, though to be fair they did a pretty good job of Fallout3 (all things considered) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Bioware gave us the galaxy saving, reporter punching Commander Sheppard.

Bethseda gave us....ummm......

So, like i was saying, punching reporters out for having the audacity to question me?
    Awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Bioware gave us the galaxy saving, reporter punching Commander Sheppard.

Bethseda gave us....ummm......

So, like i was saying, punching reporters out for having the audacity to question me?
    Awesome.

Mass Effect also gave us lesbian intra-species sex.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

we could rate by their less recieved titles?

Bioware gave us: SONIC RPG

BATHESDA: gave us STAR TREK LEGACY

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Bioware by a country mile. Story telling, character development combat mechanics are all in general far superior in Bioware games. Bethesda games feel wooden and disconnected in comparison like you're just passing through, you never feel part of the world. Relationships with NPC's are one dimensional and you never care for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

Thaedydal wrote: »
    It has to be Bioware, yes NWN2 was a clanger but for sheer playablity and enjoyment over a wider range of titles, it has to be Bioware.

Sorry to correct you, but I couldn't have the great BioWare being blamed for that mess people call NWN2. Neverwinter Nights 2 was developed by Obsidian, not BioWare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭lazlo

Liber8or wrote: »
    Sorry to correct you, but I couldn't have the great BioWare being blamed for that mess people call NWN2. Neverwinter Nights 2 was developed by Obsidian, not BioWare.

Good game but it lacks the distinct stamp Bioware usually have in their gameworlds. It may just be a case of BG1 and 2 raising the bar way too high for me though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I too would have to go with Bioware, mainly because of Baldur's Gate 2. Its remains to this day my no.1 RPG of all time. No game has ever come close to giving me what BG2 did. Also, with KotOR, Mass Effect, Neverwinter Nights, Dragon Age. All fantastic titles.

I also love them both though. Loved Morrowind, love Oblivion and Fallout 3.

Advertisement