Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bioware or Bethesda?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

So indeed people agree that bioware has the better story elements (and imo combat) bethesda has better 'wander around the world' elements.

When I got oblivion I spent a lot of time ooooing and aaaaaahing , wandering around the world. Then I went to play the game and really didn't like it. Combat was so repetitive, I fkin hated the oblivion gates. Found myself trying to run past the enemies. The story bored me.

One thing I kept thinking is how cool it'd be as a mmo, or multiplayer coop at least. & thats just it. For a single player RPG I want story, I want involvement, I want good characters and good game play.

Wandering around a world is cool but if it doesn't have all of the above then I may as well play an mmo and wander around a true living world.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

Seifer wrote: »
    Since you're trying too hard, I think it's only fair to highlight this nonsense.

Ignoring the highlighting of a typo which reveals more of your argument than mine, yeah, I see that you can rationalize that I'm trying hard to qualify how, easily actually, I pointed out your self-ownership in referring to tribalism while hypocritically referencing how console gamers don't have any good standard of quality to compare RPGs to. You did imply this, because here's the context of the quote:
    Seifer wrote:
    Valmont wrote:
    It's fine to have preferences based on opinion but it's plain ignorance to try and push these opinions as an objective condemnation of an game that won many awards. Ignore them if you want but I trust the amalgamated opinions of most of the major gaming newspapers and magazines.[...]
    [...]
    Loads of awards mean nothing. Especially if they're from console gamers who have nothing better to compare it to.

That context doesn't refer to Bethesda versus BioWare, and Valmont's text refers to Oblivion's awards, not any of BioWares' games'. Therefore, you were referring to the genre. I'm not trying hard, but you sure are trying hard to change the original meaning and context of your words.

And, we are not discussing the perception of the value of individual awards to publishers, developers et al.. The argument is that awards are all equally redundant in qualifying a good game; it's irrelevant.
    Seifer wrote: »
    No, that's what you want from an RPG. See what I did there?
    No, not really. You've just implied that you don't want from an RPG, the ability to act freely in a world of set rules. So, you don't want to play an RPG. It's a bit strange.

Advertisement