Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

China new high speed rail

• 10-12-2009 2:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭

Passengers from Central China can now reach Guangzhou, the southern economic hub, within three hours as the nation carries out its ambitious high-speed railway plan.

The new high-speed railway linking Wuhan, capital of Central China's Hubei province, and Guangzhou successfully passed a critical operations test yesterday and could be open to the public later this month.

The rail cuts the previous travel time of 10 hours between the two cities to less than three hours with an average speed of 350km/h. Chinese media said it is the longest railway with the world's fastest trains.

one of the links to this newspiece is below:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2009-12/10/content_9151883.htm

The key question is If we knew this kind of technology was available why hasn't it been used for the most important rail infrastucture project in the history of this state: The Less than wail Collidor.

I think our department of transport are a bunch of slackers? Views please:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

"China new high speed rail why didn't we get this on Less than wail corridor"

Yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn!!!

Give over, the WRC is build, no use crying over spilt milk!! Give it a rest will ya!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Rawr

westtip wrote: »
    The key question is If we knew this kind of technology was available why hasn't it been used for the most important rail infrastucture project in the history of this state: The Less than wail Corridor.

I think our department of transport are a bunch of slackers? Views please:D

While there is no argument here regarding the department's slacker-like tendancies, I'm not too surprised that the Chinese managed this.

I lived in China for a short while, and if there's one thing those guys know, it's rail! It's the main way to get around the country, and you'd be amazed by the lenght of some of the passenger trains!

Ever since they built a super-high-speed airport train in Shanghai, the Chinese have sort of gone high-speed loopy, and are now building high-speed lines all over the shop. Weither or not they can actually finish them all is anyone's guess.

Regardless, the trains will be faster than anything on the Western Faster-than-the-speed-of-light High-Speed Rail Corridor :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭afatbollix

You know the saying a JCB can do the job of 30 men? well in china its cheaper to hire 30 guys to do the work... For every million they spend in china it would cost a billion here..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"China new high speed rail why didn't we get this on Less than wail corridor"

Yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn!!!

Give over, the WRC is build, no use crying over spilt milk!! Give it a rest will ya!!

Is that you Mr.Guckian? :D

Looks like this the last WRC thread left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

You think this thread bout Western Rail Corridor no no sir dis thread is the Less than wail corridor.

Western Rail Corridor not allowed. Please talk Less than wail collidor

Any similiarities between Western Rail Corridor and Less than wail collidor are purely intentional

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I call bullsh!t. I suspect the maximum speed is 350 and the average a bit less than that! If there were 400km/h passenger wheel-rail trains in service someone would have issued a press release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

westtip, quit messing around unless you want a ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Let's not forget that the Chinese government can literally bulldoze straight through wherever the hell they want and displace whoever the hell they want at no cost to them.

If land costs, rights-of-way and planning were no issue, I'm pretty sure we'd have an extensive rail network by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

seamus wrote: »
    If land costs, rights-of-way and planning were no issue, I'm pretty sure we'd have an extensive rail network by now.

You mean if worrying about losing a seat at the next election wa no issue, I'm pretty sure we'd have an extensive rail network by now? :confused:

"Is that you Mr.Guckian?"

Who's Mr Guckian??

I've only jus joined boards.ie and already I'm sick and bored to tears with reading the utter whinging from a few over the WRC, going over the same thing over and over and over and over again!!
    The fact of the matter is that the line is built, I doubt any of the posters who are opposed to it here will actually use the line, so whats the point in rambling on over nothing!!
    Move onto something more interesting.........please!?

• Advertisement

"Is that you Mr.Guckian?"

Who's Mr Guckian??

I've only jus joined boards.ie and already I'm sick and bored to tears with reading the utter whinging from a few over the WRC, going over the same thing over and over and over and over again!!
    The fact of the matter is that the line is built, I doubt any of the posters who are opposed to it here will actually use the line, so whats the point in rambling on over nothing!!
    Move onto something more interesting.........please!?

Ergo on your logic if you are opposed to the Bertie Bowl, and would be unlikely to use it you cannot have an opinion on it. Actually I live in the West of Ireland and have never denied this - and therefore do feel I have an active interest in transport and commuting issues in the wesht, and I can see endless better ways of using the money wasted on this project for other transport projects and initiatives in the west.

Now it is quite True, what you say, the line is built - but is unusable at present due to flooding and will in all eventualities provide a cr*p service for very few people to use, and it seems may be closed for the greater part of next year......

IN many of the opinions expressed on these boards, The line is a waste of taxpayers money, (ie that scarce resource the Government does not have to throw away) the fact it is built and will be used next year will increase the waste of money due to the huge subvention required to keep it going. On a cost per passenger basis I doubt there will be any such level of subvention on any other part of the rail network. No doubt you are aware that all this was discussed on a thread that ran for six years and which you would have been free to express an opinion if it were still open, this is currently under review - apparently - those of us that want to continue to debate this issue in the meantime have to use these temporary threads.

This thread had its original name edited - I don't know why but it was named a little bit tongue in cheek. The original name of the thread was along the lines of China New High Speed train - Why didn't we get this on the Less than Wail collidor. It was a bit of fun - apparently this is frowned upon.

Anyway this whole issue about the WRC may annoy you, it may annoy others. But frankly my dear, I personally don't give a dam.

However for someone who has only made four posts on the boards, you seem to have a very strong opinion about us all wanting to move on to something else, have you actually got an opinion on the matter of the Less than wail collidor? Apart from its been built lets move on. Do you think it was a worthy project, do you think the timetable is any good, do you thnk it will work. Do you think. Perhaps we could all debate your arguments if you wish to express them. I also notice you recently visited Mr. Slackers personal profile. Can I therefore add 2+2 and make 4 or 5?

Anyway all this aside the Less than Wail collidor is a transport and commuting issue and it is in my view my money being wasted - knock me down with a feather but I thought for one moment transport and commuting issues is what we are here to debate, laugh at, have an opinion about and sometimes just to have some general banter.

"IN many of the opinions expressed on these boards, The line is a waste of taxpayers money, (ie that scarce resource the Government does not have to throw away) the fact it is built and will be used next year will increase the waste of money due to the huge subvention required to keep it going. On a cost per passenger basis I doubt there will be any such level of subvention on any other part of the rail network. No doubt you are aware that all this was discussed on a thread that ran for six years and which you would have been free to express an opinion if it were still open, this is currently under review - apparently - those of us that want to continue to debate this issue in the meantime have to use these temporary threads."

Yes I appriecate that there are those of you who argue that the line should never be built, it's a waste of money etc, however like you say it's built and thats that.
    I did read that WRC thread (the original) before it was locked, and at times it was interesting, however over the past few weeks I started to see the same argument over and over again and it being made a joke and all the rest, but it just went round and round in circles, being kept going by a few.
    I personally from what I can see (just my humble opinion) that surely a line linking city - city (Limerick - Galway) would be a good source of revinue, as I'm sure the passenger numbers are there. Some of you have hit the nail on the head regarding the rotton alleged timings for it when it does open, and the use of inadequate rolling stock (commuter trains??)
    Surely Irish Rail could put on some of the new trains onto the line, like it's doing on the other routes?? If not, then what about the orange trains - think they're called the Mk3's? Travelled on em b4 in the past, and are wayyy more comfortable than them commuter trains used between limerick and limerick junction.

"Anyway this whole issue about the WRC may annoy you, it may annoy others. But frankly my dear, I personally don't give a dam. It is a transport and commuting issue and it is in my view my money being wasted - knock me down with a feather but I thought for one moment transport and commuting issues is what we are here to debate, laugh at, have an opinion about and sometimes just to have some general banter."

Yeah, each 1 is entitled to their opinions, no doubt of that. And yes I agree it is indeed a topic for discussion, but it just seems in my view that the same thing is said over and over again in recent times and the same jokes are put out over and over again. Anyway, tis only me humble opinion.

My own view is that the should have been re-built; and never closed in the first place. However, journey times should be well able to compete with the road journey timings, and of course have descent comfortable rolling stock to go with it!!

Anyway, just my 2cents. All the best!!

"However for someone who has only made four posts on the boards, you seem to have a very strong opinion about us all wanting to move on to something else, have you actually got an opinion on the matter of the Less than wail collidor? Apart from its been built lets move on. Do you think it was a worthy project, do you think the timetable is any good, do you thnk it will work. Do you think. Perhaps we could all debate your arguments if you wish to express them. I also notice you recently visited Mr. Slackers personal profile. Can I therefore add 2+2 and make 4 or 5?"

My opinion is that yes the line should have been re-opened. I also hope that suitable rolling stock will be implimented and not commuter trains. Journey times need to be alot better than the road/bus journey times in order to compete with the car/bus. Fares should also be given the edge on Bus Eireann's current fares to entice the public to use the service. I believe that the majority of the public like to use trains - so long as they're comfortable, clean, quiet, quick and no hasstle. Thats just my opinion on the line. I hope that it is a sucess and that the public will use it, but I think it also needs marketing aswell. I've yet to see any adverts from Irish Rail about the opening of the line from Galway - Limerick. Do Irish Rail even want the line??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

paulm17781 wrote: »
    You mean if worrying about losing a seat at the next election wa no issue, I'm pretty sure we'd have an extensive rail network by now? :confused:
    We had one of the most extensive railway networks in the world per size of the country at one time and it was all given away. :mad:

We had one of the most extensive railway networks in the world per size of the country at one time and it was all given away. :mad:

We also had canals - which were replaced by railways then roads which replaced railways. Seen this map before - it has no relevance to modern life - save that a lot of these tracks should be used for recreational linear parks/cycleways.

Calina wrote: »
    westtip, quit messing around unless you want a ban.

seamus wrote: »
    Let's not forget that the Chinese government can literally bulldoze straight through wherever the hell they want and displace whoever the hell they want at no cost to them.

yes I see your point, perhaps these two posts are in some way connected. I find they rather compliment each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Wild handlin .....you have a lot to learn about Irish Rail methinks. They had to be dragged screaming and kicking to even reopen Limerick/Ennis for commuter traffic and, NO, of course they don't want the WRC or for that matter any other railway line. As I have 'repeatedly' stated CIE management and staff regard passengers and freight, and the operation of trains as an annoyance as they mark time waiting for their pensions/golden handshakes.

The WRC is going to be a total disaster when and, if, it ever reopens. The line that should feed into it from Waterford and Rosslare is earmarked for closure and top CIE management are on record as stating that it would be cheaper to put taxis on for the few passengers still using the route. With that sort of attitude is it any wonder that people regard to reopening of the WRC as a farce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

For the purposes of this thread, the Western Rail Corridor is off topic. Discussions on the WRC belong in the currently [nontrainwrecked] WRC thread which is here.

For this thread may I recommend discussion of highspeed rail and how it might somehow be applied here?

Calina why not just lock this thread, I only opened it to make a point. I think that has been done.

We will have no high speed rail in Ireland so it really is not worth discussing, and this thread is now just another WRC thread. For the like of me I still cannot understand why boards.ie would close down a thread that had run for six years. but I guess at some point the wisdom of the decision will be revealed.

DW has opened up a definitive WRC thread, its there without the massive reference points and back catalog of posts we can refer to or send enquiries to for newbies coming in and asking about the WRC, its rather like rebuilding the pyramids.

I really thought Boards.ie was about encouraging people to exchange views, and discussing issues - clearly i was mistaken or deluded. It has been mentioned in the thread about the thread that the WRC thread is under discussion - so we can only guess your huddle and discussion has not happened yet. In the meantime we can all say our piece about the WRC on the new DWcommuter thread, and we can go searching for previous essays and arguments on the old thread when the same old questions come up.

C'est tres bizarre.

Advertisement