Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€4 billion in cuts -- too little, too late!

Options
  • 10-12-2009 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Honestly??Some people are just really stupid.....that's the only explanation I can think of!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

Very very well said!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Ronan had a good post on subject which is well worth reading

http://www.ronanlyons.com/2009/12/09/five-things-to-remember-when-judging-budget-2010/

bdttdt.png

i wish to higlight something
    ronanlyons wrote:
    As you can see, expenditure this year has exceeded even boomtime projections, despite all the cuts made, while tax revenues are more than 40% below what the government expected them to be.

ronanlyons wrote:
    . Service of the national debt is projected to almost double next year to €4.62bn. In 2008, the figure was less than €2bn. That €3bn is money that has had to come out of public services – if a reasonable chunk of the McCarthy Report were implemented, we would have saved enough to just pay the interest on our new debt

yes thats right, we cant keep borrowing cause at the rate were going all the money taken in by taxes will go just to pay interest

that would be akin to all of the income of a household going to pay a mortgage

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Dopey

Good post donegalfella!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭baubl

madmoe wrote: »
    Very very well said!

What is €4 billion in savings, when we are now paying €3 billion annually in interest repayments, and still borrowing like drunken sailors. We are running to stand still.

this budget is encouraging more alcohol consumption, we have too big a problem with alcohol, why feed it
    too many homes wrecked by it
    too many kids made miserable because of it
    this product should be hiked

listning to the radio today,it is depressing, berties constituents have all received christmas cards, lots of us will not be able to afford to send cards this year,
    we need oil, coal, gas, all gone up(should not have been hiked)
    we do not need alcohol, just came down (should have been doubled)

• Advertisement

baubl wrote: »

blame the greens and other hippies for this. Btw did gas go up at all? i taught it was exempt somehow

if we dont need it then why do hundreds of thousands drive across the border to buy cheaper drink? youd rather Her Majesty get the money or the Revenue?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Och ..you and your doom and gloom :rolleyes:

We're fine, everything is grand, Brian Lenihan said so himself:

The worst is over, we are now on the road to economic recovery

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

The issue of €4b savings could have been tackled in other ways.

I presume that you're aware of how much the public sector spends on "consulting" services to the Big 4?
    Let me give you some numbers : RTE, receipient of licence fee from all
    citizens, spent in 2007, €2.3 million on fees to PWC.
    What was this expenditure for? To monitor expenditure and to verify the increase in the licence fee application.
    So not only do RTE pay fees to PWC €2.3m - those fees also result in the eventual increase in the licence fee!.

Replicate this across all State/public sector agencies and there are millions which could be saved.

What about hospital consultants fees?
    Paid from the public purse, our hospital consultants earn €250k pa working in the public health service.
    French consultants are paid €90k pa.
    British consultants average £100k pa.

What about the packages paid to the heads of various govt departments/bodies?
    Michael Somers as head of NTMA had a package €900k pa.
    The head of the ECB gets paid €330k pa.

What about pensions paid to retired civil servants?
    Gardai when they retire get 66% of their retiring wage.

All of the above paid from the public purse.

How about the govt trying to expand the tax net?
    what about doing away with artists/writers income tax exemptions?
    Horse breeding sector isn't taxed at all - how about taxing them?

There are an entire sector of areas where taxes could, and should be imposed.
    There is the urgent need to see how funds given to run the public sector is spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

OP you hit the nail on the head! I would call 50% cuts savage! the so called savage cut of 5% is nothing, when you account for deflation those on social welfare are better off! I wish they would just shut the bloody hell up! there are no alternatives! Maybe the few that are still working, should cough up even more to fund people that dont work or the overpaid PS!

if anyone thinks this budget is savage

then they should look at UK (where they are planning to cut the PS big time btw, and no tip toeing with unions) in last few years

everyone was made 30% poorer, equally! thru devaluation, a form of straight stealth tax

in order to keep houseprices up and get labour reelected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

This comparison gets thrown around so much but rarely takes into account how much cheaper everyday things are in the UK. (Lets not forget how many Irish people are heading up North to shop this time of year)

With loosing your job being a pretty unforseen circumstance, its not a thing most people are going to be prepeared for. And I know that if I lost my job and was without work for more than a month or two I'd be rapidly going under with only a 100 euro a week. I would have personally liked to see blanket cuts rather than penalising one age group and I see this essentially forcing a lot of them move back to their parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Even that doesn't quite tell you the scale, since the state of California on its own has the ninth-largest economy in the world, with a GDP of $1.8 trillion in 2006 - where ours was $219 bn.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Where are all those posters who argued that you cannot tax your way out of a recession? The reasoning is that you should not throttle demand.

The same reasoning applies to cuts. You cannot cut your way out of a recession.

While it is necessary to tackle the exchequer deficit, the government is between Scylla and Charybdis. In consultation with the ECB, it is trying to find the middle way. Let's not run our economic policy on the basis of disliking public sector wasters and dole spongers. And let's not allow DF's Greek gifts delude us into dismantling the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This comparison gets thrown around so much but rarely takes into account how much cheaper everyday things are in the UK.

answer this

why are things "cheaper" in UK?

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    answer this

why are things "cheaper" in UK?

Economies of scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Great post Donegalfella.
    Had to laugh at the catapult comment :D

Baubl, its not about alcohol promotion.
    Its a strategic move about protecting tax bases. (a weak one imo)

If the main attraction to the North was cheap coffins; then the government would try to stem the flow of money out of that industry too, by incentives; it doesn't mean they are advocating suicide as an artificial stimulus (regardless of what Bertie has to say about it).

hinault wrote: »
    Economies of scale.

nothing to do with low minimum wages, welfare and PS costs? :rolleyes:

talk about narrowing in on the mouse while missing the dancing elephants in the room

nothing to do with low minimum wages, welfare and PS costs? :rolleyes:

talk about narrowing in on the mouse while missing the dancing elephants in the room

No mate.
    It's your kind who fail to notice the bigger picture.

You tried earlier to make the facetious comparison of dole rates in the ROI with dole rates in Northern Ireland to try to justify your view that dole rates in the Republic are too high.

It is apparent that you were not aware that 1 in 3 of all jobs in NI, are public sector jobs.

Maybe if HM's govt were not forking out some much in public sector wages, that dole amounts in the UK would be higher.

You continually make the mistake of trying to compare Ireland to the UK
    economically.

Apples and oranges amigo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 seeker099

The issue of €4b savings could have been tackled in other ways.

I presume that you're aware of how much the public sector spends on "consulting" services to the Big 4?
    Let me give you some numbers : RTE, receipient of licence fee from all
    citizens, spent in 2007, €2.3 million on fees to PWC.
    What was this expenditure for? To monitor expenditure and to verify the increase in the licence fee application.
    So not only do RTE pay fees to PWC €2.3m - those fees also result in the eventual increase in the licence fee!.

Replicate this across all State/public sector agencies and there are millions which could be saved.

What about hospital consultants fees?
    Paid from the public purse, our hospital consultants earn €250k pa working in the public health service.
    French consultants are paid €90k pa.
    British consultants average £100k pa.

How about the govt trying to expand the tax net?
    what about doing away with artists/writers income tax exemptions?
    Horse breeding sector isn't taxed at all - how about taxing them?

There are an entire sector of areas where taxes could, and should be imposed.
    There is the urgent need to see how funds given to run the public sector is spent.

Your point about blood stock industry is well taken but this is an industry and as a result provides growth and revenue and as far as i am aware the artists arent tax exempt anymore but i could be wrong. But yes there are areas that could provide needed revenue but with a massive public sector bill for a country the size of Manchester, this cut was modest and had to be tackled.

Benchmarking should provide those in the public sector with the same levels of pay as those in the private right? Well for some reason it only works in an upward direction.Why is that?

You can never tax your way out of a downturn this is why the eighties depression lasted so long. Promote growth and cut spending thats the only way to recovery. Tax breaks to sectors in the private sector that create jobs. Because with a strong priv sector there is no public sector.

Whether you like it or not the more tax breaks for the rich and big business the better. These people and companies create jobs and bring investment and wealth. This was the basis of the celt tiger. Providing us with Microsoft and Intel.

Another non popular point in that the foreigners who have come here are now more than ever needed in the economy. They typically dont have large mortgages or debts and can work for far less, this in turn helps business grow and provides you with cheaper services and products which in turn allows you to have a larger disposable income.

And as for them taking jobs, well if the only people who worked in Mc Donalds were irish then the price of a Big Mac would more likely be €12 to help pay there wage bill.

• Advertisement

No mate.
    It's your kind who fail to notice the bigger picture.

higher wages lead to higher prices, basic inflation
    we just live thru a large inflationary period
    while the UK didnt inflate as much
    hence they are cheaper

btw thanks! you just highlighted my point by saying that 1/3 in NI are in the public sector, the public sector in the UK get paid much less than here, hence proving my point

apples or watermelons, makes no difference considering that both are made of water, except one has much more of it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

this budget is encouraging more alcohol consumption, we have too big a problem with alcohol, why feed it
    too many homes wrecked by it
    too many kids made miserable because of it
    this product should be hiked

listning to the radio today,it is depressing, berties constituents have all received christmas cards, lots of us will not be able to afford to send cards this year,

I didn't realise people couldn't just go up North to get their alcohol when it becomes too expensive down South.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

4 billion is not enough for the cuts.. this government is spending something like 25 billion more than it is raking in

higher wages lead to higher prices, basic inflation
    we just live thru a large inflationary period
    while the UK didnt inflate as much
    hence they are cheaper

No one is denying that this country became over inflated in recent years.

However, historically Britain was always cheaper than Ireland.
    I can remember visiting the UK, for the first time, in the 1970's - and being amazed at how much lower everything was in the UK (lower wages, lower petrol prices - and that's when IR£ and GBP£ were linked, lower food prices etc).

Economy of scale always ensures that the UK will be lower than ROI.

btw thanks! you just highlighted my point by saying that 1/3 in NI are in the public sector, the public sector in the UK get paid much less than here, hence proving my point

Which wasn't the point you were making.
    You cited welfare payments in NI and tried to compare them with rates in ROI.
    Comparing apples and oranges.

If the UK cut the number of state jobs in NI - more people there would be in receipt of payments from the UK exchequer up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

blame the greens and other hippies for this. Btw did gas go up at all? i taught it was exempt somehow

Well according to some greens natural gas is not a fossil fuel ;)
    Remember that famous interview with Pat Kenny i think it was :D

Anyway back to donegalfella's point...

Yeah the cuts are too late. When the first hint of credit crunch was happening and construciton sector slowing down, the other country in Europe with massive construction buuble, Spain, had it's goevrnment back form their hoildiays making decisions.

Meanwhile our government were on holidays, burying their heads in the sand and stating they would make changes come the budget which was a about 5 months away at the time. :rolleyes:

It was the same with the bank deposits, they complained about Joe Duffy show bringing to light what everyone knew that the deposit guarantee scheme was inadequate.
    then low and behold things were so bad they decided to guarantee everything not alone the depositors and in the worst banks :rolleyes:
    Then we had an early budget that did nothing really and had to be follwoed by another one.

The reason I am dragging these things up is that the government, including the much lauded finance minister, are forever playing catch up.

I have no faith in their ability to scratch their ar*** nevermind make a decision and implement policies that will help us out of this mess that they got us into.

Why haven't the semi states being touched ?
    Why hasn't the ESB dropped it's prices and thus help both Irish business and the Irish households of public and private sector workers alike ?
    Oh wait it is because one of those quangoes, yet another regulator, has said prices have to be maintained in order to make it a competitive playing field for other providers. :rolleyes:
    Meanwhile we have some of the highest electricity costs in Europe. :mad:

AFAIK CIE do get a subvention from the state, why not cut the subvention ?
    Have CIE salaries being cut or is mr ogle still playing comrade stalin ?

Why hasn't one single quangoe being axed ?
    Oh wait they have yet another consultation body set up to report on these.
    What is it ?
    Perhaps a quangoe to oversea the axing of fellow quangoes ?

Cuts need to be made now, not tomorrow, not next December.

We are still hemorrhaging millions everyday and the government and it's deluded supporters seem to think it is great that we have put a fecking band aid on the wound. :rolleyes:

The floods make me think of the image of biffo clowen taking his thumb out of his ar**, and sticking it into the massive gaping hole in the damm and he actually thinks he is saving the town even though water is pouring through all around him.

Of course we all know that image is laughable, since clowen doesn't go very near flooded areas. :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭funnyname

Me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me

Please look at the bigger picture and forget about looking after yourself, everyone one needs to make sacrifices!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

There are areas of the public sector who wages are far too high, DF.
    Hospital Consultants, Head of NTMA, CEO of the Central Bank, Head of Govt Departments, are all far too high.
    Cuts in their salaries and packages are required.

Remuneration at the middle and lower levels of the public services needed to be examined.
    But the salary scale and package scale at the higher end of the public sector needs to be cut - and cut drastically.

Also how expenditure, on non-pay items, in the public sector needs to be looked at.
    Procurement proceedures for the big spending govt departments needs to be examined and amended to ensure value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

Where are all those posters who argued that you cannot tax your way out of a recession? The reasoning is that you should not throttle demand.

The same reasoning applies to cuts. You cannot cut your way out of a recession.

While it is necessary to tackle the exchequer deficit, the government is between Scylla and Charybdis. In consultation with the ECB, it is trying to find the middle way. Let's not run our economic policy on the basis of disliking public sector wasters and dole spongers. And let's not allow DF's Greek gifts delude us into dismantling the state.

But surely if the some members of the public sector are overpaid, which the ESRI highlighted that they were, then any cuts to their pay can be used elsewhere to get a greater return?

Not to mention the interest that is being paid on what we're borrowing....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭funnyname

There are areas of the public sector who wages are far too high, DF.

lol

Advertisement