Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quick Visa question

Options
  • 10-12-2009 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi, I'm going over to australia in January and staying for six weeks.
    Thing is I'm thinking if I like it and don't wanna come home I'll stay for a month or two and see if I can find work.
    So was going to get a tourist visa first of all (don't wanna waste the WHV if I come home) and then if I stay apply for a WHV when I'm there
    Can this be done?

Thanks in advance for any help!!!
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Not sure

Should be easy applyin for the visa, u do it online

But it has to be activated on ur arrival to Australia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

You have to be outside of Australia when applying for the WHV, so you'd have to leave and come back anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

uns12345 wrote: »
    Thing is I'm thinking if I like it and don't wanna come home I'll stay for a month or two and see if I can find work.
    :)

You cannot look for work while under a Tourist VISA. Sorry mate. Besides you would want to be sh1t hot at what you do or are applying for for someone to even interview you without a work visa for Australia.

Grow a pair and just decide to come over for a year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

You could always nip over to NZ for a few days and apply for a WHV there.

But Zambia is correct if you start actively start asking around for work on a Tourist visa and some employer tipped off DIAC you could be deported.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Beachband

Ya mandrake04 is on the money there, more or less.
    You would kind of have to have some form of qualification/experience that is highly needed to excel in finding work on a tourist visa.

I am going on a tourist visa, was going to look for sponsorship if I get bored, now my feeling is...feck it...I will just go busking for awhile(with a big placard saying...do not give me money...I'm just bored on a tourist visa and escaping the Irish gloom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 uns12345

Thanks for the advice everyone, just gonna get the WHV then..
    Was never gonna look for work on the tourist visa, as Im gonna be traveling for the first month and probably wont have much time in each place to look for work. just wanted to know if it was possible...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

Dave! wrote: »
    You have to be outside of Australia when applying for the WHV, so you'd have to leave and come back anyway.

afaik, this isn't true. do you have any info to confirm it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

afaik, this isn't true. do you have any info to confirm it?
    http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/how-to-apply.htm

First Working Holiday visa

You must be outside Australia:

* when you lodge your first Working Holiday visa application
    * for the visa to be granted.

Advertisement