Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post Primary teaching appointments in chemistry??

• 10-12-2009 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi all,

This is my firsttime using this website and alot of good information is passed around here so I'm hoping I can get a general answer to my question?

I intend completing the PGCE in the near future and hope to qualify in chemistry.
    Is this subject likely to increase/decrease my chances of to gaining a part/full time position?
    Is it attractive to schools seeing as there appears to be a shortage of science teachers.
    All advice most welcome. Thanks:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

There is not a shortage of science teachers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Chemistry isn't offered in my school and in four others that I can think of but that's just anecdotal.

Where did you hear about a shortage of Science teachers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

I doubt there's a 'shortage' of teachers of practically any subject these days ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

There aren't many jobs out there in any subject at the moment. Chemistry won't increase or decrease your chances. Having said that if it's your only senior subject (ie no Biology/Physics/Maths), it could limit you a bit. Chemistry is not the most popular, numbers have been dropping for the last while now and you will generally find if a school has chemistry on the curriculum they only need one chemistry teacher. I teach in a school of about 400 and we offer chemistry and it only in the last 2 years has it seen any sort of stability. It used to run every second year due to lack of interest. Two of us are qualified to teach chemistry, me being one and I haven't had it for 3 years as the other teacher has.

Also remember on top of PGDE graduates in Sciences, there are also BSc Science Education graduates in UL and DCU. I did the UL course and I believe they take in about 60 students into first year every year now. The choice was Chemistry or Physics to be taken with Biology and Ag Science, and generally about two thirds of a year would take chemistry. So there are quite a number of graduates coming out with it every year.

There isn't a shortage of science teachers either. Eg a friend of mine still hasn't secured a full time position since we graduated (2000). Work for her consists of one year contracts, maternity leaves and sick leaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 felix09

Thanks for all your advice.

What I should have said was chemistry teachers and NOT science teachers. But it appears I'm wrong there also. Thanks for setting this straight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭niall3r

You said you'd be doing the PGCE which implies English yeah? or intending to work in England at least, in which case there is a shortage of science teachers, aparently.

They are supposedly looking for teachers of all subjects and of science above all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

don't narrow your skills, always say you will do science, some maths, willingness to do cspe etc or else no school will want you for chemistry alone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

niall3r wrote: »
    You said you'd be doing the PGCE which implies English yeah? or intending to work in England at least, in which case there is a shortage of science teachers, aparently.

They are supposedly looking for teachers of all subjects and of science above all.
    A friend of mine, with a phd in science (bio), and a first class pgde (which are very rare) took 3 months to find a science teaching job in london.

Plenty of maths, though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

PhDs are not exactly favoured too much in teaching as the perception of being overeducated is sometimes seen and also the idea that someone with that level of education will leave and go elsewhere whereas a masters is seen as the new honours degree level this weather.
    Also, PGDE seems to be ignored once you have honours and of course, once you have it. Schools tend to look at your value added product as the subjects you can teach and discipline you can uphold in a classroom environment.

Advertisement