Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off we go......

• 10-12-2009 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭

First, I too wish to join the "10,000" club -10000 km of distance and 10000m of climbing in 2009 - that's goal numero uno, although I exepct the second part to be a lot easier than the first part! Overall, I think it'll be achievable. I've a round trip commute of 100km. Once the light comes back in the evening I'll be upping that commute from once per week to thrice per week.

Second, complete the Wicklow 200 in less than 7 hours (saddle-time, not total time). I'm not sure how do-able that is yet so this one is subject to revision.

Third, complete 5 other sportives (apart from the W200), including the Sean Kelly and the Tour of Louth.

Fourth, increase my average speed by 10%.

Fifth, get the weight down by another 10lbs.

As a forfeit, if I fail to hit the 10,000km mark I'll auction off my boards jsersey for charity!!

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,932 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Jawgap wrote: »
    First, I too wish to join the "10,000" club -10000 km of distance and 10000m of climbing in 2009 - that's goal numero uno, although I exepct the second part to be a lot easier than the first part! Overall, I think it'll be achievable. I've a round trip commute of 100km. Once the light comes back in the evening I'll be upping that commute from once per week to thrice per week.

Second, complete the Wicklow 200 in less than 7 hours (saddle-time, not total time). I'm not sure how do-able that is yet so this one is subject to revision.

Third, complete 5 other sportives (apart from the W200), including the Sean Kelly and the Tour of Louth.

Fourth, increase my average speed by 10%.

Fifth, get the weight down by another 10lbs.

As a forfeit, if I fail to hit the 10,000km mark I'll auction off my boards jsersey for charity!!

I'd aim at losing that 4.54545454545kg before trying to tackle the WW200 in under 7 hours if I were you!

Is the jersey personalised? What size? (may as well plan ahead, just in case:D)

Hopefully we'll be able to share some of those km between Blakes X and Swords

Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Beasty wrote: »
    The only used jersey I'd buy knowing that someone might have cycled 9999km in it would be Jens Voigt's, and I'd never wash it and I ... I really should stop now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I'd aim at losing that 4.54545454545kg before trying to tackle the WW200 in under 7 hours if I were you!

Hopefully we'll be able to share some of those km between Blakes X and Swords

Good luck

In the interests of "Euro-ness" I'll revise the relevant objective to read 5kg. The jersey is personalised and is XL - but it's feckin' huge on me.
    The only used jersey I'd buy knowing that someone might have cycled 9999km in it would be Jens Voigt's, and I'd never wash it and I ... I really should stop now.

I can also confirm that I will not be wearing the same jersey for all 10,000km without washing it - it'll be washed at least every 1000km:)

Finally, if I manage the 10000km I'm going to treat myself to something - haven't decided what yet though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

if I manage the 10000km I'm going to treat myself to something - haven't decided what yet though.

Cake

Cake

I think cake is one of the major food groups when it comes to fueling up for cycling so I don't regard it as a treat, but I might see if someone can make of these for me:-

cyclist-sm.jpg

• Advertisement

So far, so disastrous!

The last time I cycled was the 31st December and since then the bike has sat snugly and warmly in the house while I've checked the roads in the futile hope I might get a few lousy kilometres in!

So, I've taken the plunge and bought a turbo. I'd originally decided not to get one but to try and tough it out over the winter on the road, figuring it would toughen me up, plus I like the rosey glow you get after a hard cycle on a cold day!

But the ice has meant no cycling and with no let up in sight I decided to purchase - so the question is do kms on the turbo count?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,156 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

But the ice has meant no cycling and with no let up in sight I decided to purchase - so the question is do kms on the turbo count?

No, but time does.

Or you can get fancy and start combining time and effort into calculations of training stress, but best to keep it simple. Only 80 days until the clocks spring back...

Lumen wrote: »
    No, but time does.

Or you can get fancy and start combining time and effort into calculations of training stress, but best to keep it simple. Only 80 days until the clocks spring back...

I was going to use the Garmin (obviuously with the GPS off!!) and calculate as follows:-

time (in mmins) x average rpm x wheel circumfrence

Or I think with the GPS off the Garmin will use the wheel sensor to calculate speed and distance -we'll see.

On the clocks going back - I try to be a bit more optimistic!! Every day means an extra two minutes of daylight!! On the 24th January nautical twilight will be starting by 7-00am!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Only thing the matters on a turbo is time and effort imo, hr probably being the best indicator of effort unless you have a power meter.

I was going to use the Garmin (obviuously with the GPS off!!) and calculate as follows:-

time (in mmins) x average rpm x wheel circumfrence

Or I think with the GPS off the Garmin will use the wheel sensor to calculate speed and distance -we'll see.

This approach will get you absolutely nowhere - you must forget about distance altogether. Resistance on a trainer (linear, for a given resistance level) is nothing like resistance on the road (linear rolling resistance + exponential aero drag). You might coincidentally achieve the same resistance at a given wheel speed, but speed up or slow down and the relationships change.

• Advertisement

I agree with what both of you have said, but in regards to distance I was only using it to claim kilometres against my declared goal of cycling 10,000 km in 2010 (10 in 10!!).

I know I'll need to be a bit creative to get benefit from the turbo - I was going to work on it using HR zones - again I thought with the Garmin and the heart strap I could usefully do that.

I'd love a powermeter, but I've nowhere near enough ability to justify one, even if the bank balance could sustain it.

I figured I'd use the turbo to keep me on the right side of sanity until the roads clear up.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,932 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

so the question is do kms on the turbo count?

Yes, yes and yes (they do in my target anyway)

So far this year, nothing on the road for me, but 100km on the turbo. I was also in London this week (supposedly only for one night, but Aer Lingus couldn't get me home yesterday, so I ended up there an extra night), and did another 50km in the Hotel gyms. Hence I now only have 9,850km to go:eek:

I'd love a powermeter, but I've nowhere near enough ability to justify one, even if the bank balance could sustain it.

Ability is irrelevant - if you have the money, spend it (no point in leaving it for the kids to squander)

Yes, yes and yes (they do in my target anyway)

So far this year, nothing on the road for me, but 100km on the turbo. I was also in London this week (supposedly only for one night, but Aer Lingus couldn't get me home yesterday, so I ended up there an extra night), and did another 50km in the Hotel gyms. Hence I now only have 9,850km to go:eek:

50km on a gym bike - impressive!! I think anything on a gym bike especially a hotel gym bike should count double!!

Ability is irrelevant - if you have the money, spend it (no point in leaving it for the kids to squander)

I'll spend it alright!!! There's still plenty of fun stuff to buy!

50km on a gym bike - impressive!! I think anything on a gym bike especially a hotel gym bike should count double!!
    I may need that "interpretation":D. Fortunately it was over 2 nights just over an hour on Tuesday, and around 45 mins on Wednesday - now just need some motivation to get back on the turbo tonight!

I didn't want to lodge an update until I'd some decent to report.

January was a dead loss; between work, study and weather I only logged 14 rides for a grand total of 257.1 km, plus a significant proportion of that mileage was on the turbo.

February, though is looking up. In the last week I've logged 291km because I've been able to get back to doing some full commutes and some spins on weekends.

The outlook is also good. Longer evenings and a more predictable work schedule should make for better and longer cycles. My immediate objectives are to be doing >300km per week on a routine basis; to do more climbing; and set some new PBs for some of my favourite routes.

Also since the start of February I've managed to lose 2.75kgs of unwanted beefiness - but I've had to revise my target in this area following Christmas.

To summarise then, my targets for 2010 were
    • 10,000km - 647 km done, but I reckon I'm about 800km off where I should be at this time of year. The increased commuting opportunities should see that deficit eliminated soon enough.
    • 10000m of climbing - 1215m done - well ahead of target!
    • Drop 4.54kgs - over half-way there already, but I'm revising this to a target weight and I've 6.8kg to go before reaching it.
    • Increase average speed by 10% - average speed since Jan 1st about 6% up on long run average for 2009 but this may be the "turbo factor."

A second week that can be filed under the "good" cartegory. Between commuting and a couple of spins last week I managed to log 337km - so I'm obviously pleased with that.

My current plan at the moment is to continue pushing distances until I've made up the deficit accumulated through January. I should have about 1370km done by today but at the moment the total stands at 984km - which is a bit irritating as if I'd known how close I was to the 1000km mark I'd have done some extra distance to achieve that landmark.

So as it stands, I'm 386km or 2 weeks behind on where I need to me.

The climbing target of 10,000m may have to be revised as I've already completed more than a quarter of it.

Weightwise - I've dropped 3.63kg meaning I'm over half-way to the weight loss target (4.54kg) I set myself, but just over 9kg to go to the target weight on which this was based. Total loss for this week was just under 1kg.

The outlook for next week is good although I doubt I'll top the distance figure for this week as family commitments mean I've to swap a spin for a turbo session. Once I've made up the deficit my plan is to cut the distances cycled to about 200km per week in favour of some "lumpier" spins.

The last week has been somewhat of a mixed bag. Distance-wise I was about 100km short of the previous week, but still ahead of the weekly kilometreage I need to maintain to hit the headline target of 10000km.

All told, I did 231 km, for a running total of 1215km, putting me about 347km behind target or 13 days. About 30% of the milage this week was on the turbo as I needed to combine childminding duties with cycling.

Tuesday's commute home was a bit of an epic affair (at least it felt that way) of two hours into a stiff north wind and driving rain and sleet, but it felt great when I got home and settled into a hot bath and a cold beer.

Yesterday, I had to drive to work, but the snow made the traffic so bad I turned around, went home, phoned in a day's leave and headed off on the bike for a bracing spin. The worst part of it was coming back over Bellewstown and I decided to take a road down the hill that I'd not previously travelled before.

As a result, I think one of my new laws of cycling is never to descend a hill you've not first climbed or at least recced. There were two quarries on the road so it was muddy, gravelly and full of potholes. I hit the first corner and came wide (not difficult considering the width of the road) to be confronted by a dumper truck manfully trying to get up the hill - it was near miss to squeeze by at speed on the "outside."

After that I pretty much sat on the brakes the whole way down as it was quite a twisty road and I didn't want to arrive home with "Hino" embedded in reverse on my forehead.

Climbing-wise, I'm well ahead of my target having completed over a third of the 10000 metres, so I'm officialy doubling this target.

The other top target was to lose 4.54 kg of weight - as of today I've lost 4.3 kg, shifting about another 0.75 kg since last week. In respect of my target weight I've still 7.5kg to go. Although again I'm thinking of revising this. I've been getting lots of (positive) comments on what I've lost along with a few "I-hope-you-are-not-going-to-go-as-skinny-as-you-did-last-year" comments. 7.5kg more of weight loss might be a bit much.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

That's great going, I wouldn't worry so much about being behind on the kms but obviously don't let it escalate either. The good weather starts soon and you'll have more opportunites to get out and make up. I want to shift a bit of weight also but I'm cool about it as I know I'll be increasing the distance in the next couple of weeks, but fair dues to you sir for shifting 4kg.

KEEP IT UP :)

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

The other top target was to lose 4.54 kg of weight - as of today I've lost 4.3 kg, shifting about another 0.75 kg since last week. In respect of my target weight I've still 7.5kg to go. Although again I'm thinking of revising this. I've been getting lots of (positive) comments on what I've lost along with a few "I-hope-you-are-not-going-to-go-as-skinny-as-you-did-last-year" comments. 7.5kg more of weight loss might be a bit much.

Pics or GTFO. ;)

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    Pics or GTFO. ;)

I know what you define skinny as - and I ain't never gonna reach that level of anorexia!!! :)

I am now officially waaaaaaaay behind my distance target. I pretty much lost 4 weeks in March / April following a rugby injury of the most frustrating kind. Basically, while playing in a training match I was tackled, fell heavily and either bruised or cracked one or two ribs and tore up some intercostal muscles - the doctor said it was all academic as the treatment was the same - rest!!!

I couldn't cycle (not even on the turbo) - couldn't swim - couldn't run - in fact there's not a lot you can do without breathing - even holding your breath isn't fun because the longer you hold it the bigger the breath you take when you're done and the more it hurts. I don't even have some dramatic pictures to show!

After about a fortnight I felt fine - but it turns out there are degrees of feeling fine - I felt fine as long as I didn't exert myself. Any exercise that led to rapid or deep breathing hurt like hell.

But today I got back on the bike on the road - it feels like I've lost all my fitness and I couldn't climb a pimple. I had some turbo sessions over the weekend and I was fine but this morning hurt a bit when I rattled over some of the less smooth areas of our fine Irish roads.

It looks like I'll be taking it easy on the bike for a few days more, but the track back to fitness has started!

Sorry to hear of your accident, Jawgap. It sounds a bit of a nasty one. I think we can allow you to adjust your targets accordingly:)

I think it's a lot easier to regain lost fitness than get it in the first place, so hopefully you will soon make up the lost ground

You've not started on the full 100km round commute, have you? Those roads are continuing to deteriorate with plenty of new and enlarged potholes - not the type of terrain to be testing youself when just back from that type of injury, so try to take it easy until you feel comfortable.

Sorry to hear of your accident, Jawgap. It sounds a bit of a nasty one. I think we can allow you to adjust your targets accordingly:)

I think it's a lot easier to regain lost fitness than get it in the first place, so hopefully you will soon make up the lost ground

You've not started on the full 100km round commute, have you? Those roads are continuing to deteriorate with plenty of new and enlarged potholes - not the type of terrain to be testing youself when just back from that type of injury, so try to take it easy until you feel comfortable.

Next time I'll just take the tackle rather than trying to break it!!:)

I'm going to stick with the targets for the moment - although I reserve the right to adjust them by 7.6923% (4/52nd's!!!!). There won't be much of a sense of achievement if they're easy!

Up until a few weeks ago I was doing the mega-commute once or twice a week. Today I parked in Swords and went in via Malahide, Portmarnock & Sutton.

Got to Sutton and thought about going up Howth, but at that stage I was starting to feel sore enough so I just turned for town.

Despite that, it was great being back on the bike. And on the plus side I didn't put on too much weight while I was laid up.

How goes your own recovery?

How goes your own recovery?

Back on the bike a week, but I managed to get on the turbo just over a week after the accident, so maintained a lot of my fitness. My wrist is a bit sore, particularly on long spins (and dodgy roads), but otherwise seems OK. I don't think I will be able to use it as an excuse much longer;)

An update is well overdue so here goes.

I thought tapping out 10,000km on the bike over the course of the year would be a suitably ambitious target given the combination of work, family and study committments and while it was difficult, the added imapct of an injury has made it somewhat harder to achieve than originally anticipated:)

I was surprised at how long it took me to regain the fitness I lost while nursing my ribs and it was really the back end of May before I got fully into the swing of things again. However, work had other ideas and a combination of bad planning on my part and an over-generous nature led to the WW200 being missed and another decline in activity through the middle of June.

July, though, was much more promising. I missed a week because of family committments and still managed to do 1,426km and 8,157m of climbing. In one week alone I managed 616km and 3,132m of climbing.

So I'm revising my objectives. My total for the year (as of today) is about 3,500km which, as well as being pretty miserable, makes 10,000km look increasingly unlikely. So while, I've not given up completely on hitting the magic number, I have produced some interim targets:-

1. Between the 1st of July and the 31st August I'm aiming to complete 3,000km and 20,000m of climbing.

2. By Hallowe'en, I aim to have completed 5,000km (since the 1st July) and 35,000m of climbing.

My original weight targets are pretty much taking care of themselves. The weight I put on while off the bike is now largely gone and I'm hoping that by mid-September (my birthday), I'll have reached the target weight.

On a plus note, my average times for my favourite routes are coming down and I'ven noticed about a 7% increase in my "cruising" speed. Most climbs are now accomplished in the big ring and my times up my regular hills have also started to drop.

The mission to complete 3000km between 1/7 and 31/8 remains largely on track.

The distance is proving not too hard to come by. As of yesterday, I'd completed 371.4km for the month of August from 6 days of cycling. In July I completed 1426km, leaving 1574km to do in August or an average of about 51km per day.

I usually cycle on the basis of 4 day blocks – 3 cycling days followed by one rest day meaning I need to be hitting about 210km per block or 70km per cycling day. Anyway, whatever way you slice the cake, as of yesterday (8/8) I should have been up to 406km, to be on target to hit the 3000km so I’m about 35km behind target.

However, last week was a bit of a messy week. I only got one commute in, and between getting cars and bikes serviced, ferrying kids around and having to be home to let builders in, I did a lot of bits and pieces of cycles. This week looks more promising – in fact adding in this morning’s trip in leaves me only 16km behind my target. So by the time I sit down to dinner tonight I’ll be ahead of where I need to be.

Climbing, though, is proving to be a bit more difficult. Meath and North County Dublin are pretty flat so last week I only managed to generate 2,123 metres of ascent and most of that was either Howth or Bellewstown. In terms of metres per km cycled that works out at 5.72 m/km.

Last month the comparable figure was also 5.72 m/km, but this month I need to climb 11843m to hit the 20,000m figure meaning if I hit the 1574km distance target I’ll need to be averaging closer to 7.5m/km or I’ll just have to cycle for longer.

My average speed for last week was just 27km/hr compared to 27.5 km/hr in July although at this stage in July I’d done 120 fewer kilometres and climbed less than 2,000m.

If the week before last was characterised by me being wet and damp for most of it, then last week it was all wind. The NW and WNW winds seemed to be just in the wrong position for me to enjoy the bike up and down for Bettystown. Really, I prefer a prevailing southwesterly to push me home in the evening.
    Despite the annoying wind, I still managed to rack up a few kilometres – 441.1 of them to be precise from 5 days of cycling – with no cycling on Saturday or Sunday (bloody kids:)). This brings my monthly total to 815.5 or about 65km ahead of where I need to be to complete the 3k in 2 months. Average speed for the week was a pretty miserly 26km/hr, but I’m blaming that on the wind.
    On the ascent front, I added 1,744 metres to the 2,123 that I did in the first week and while I fully expect to hit the 3k, generating the required metreage for the elevation gain is proving problematic.
    This week is looking promising and there’s a distinct possibility of me putting in another 400+ km of road passing under the bike.............

Advertisement