Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Canteen

• 10-12-2009 3:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

http://cpdoffice.nuim.ie/news.shtml

So there was no conspiracy after all...

Looks to be some nice outdoor seating there too! sweet

+ covered cycle stands

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

Looks decent. Have they got planning permission already or do they need it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

The plans for the new 'restaraunt', and the whole of north campus leading down to the new library, are amazing. This includes the new arts block. They're not publicly available yet because they're still being finalised, but wait until you see them. Amazing stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Thank GOD they realised up is teh way to go. I was terrified they'd just plaster in another ground floor only sty for mucking us student types.

Any word on an expected dates yet? These are only propsals as well, oui? I assume this means they're subject to quite a bit of change.

Yeah, probably loads. There's a planning permission sign up by the north campus entrance along the Moyglare Road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Will any of us still be in college when this stuff is up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Yeh, I'm never leaving. I went to Kilcock by accident yesterday and I felt ill. It's not safe to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

banquo wrote: »
    The plans for the new 'restaraunt', and the whole of north campus leading down to the new library, are amazing. This includes the new arts block. They're not publicly available yet because they're still being finalised, but wait until you see them. Amazing stuff.

A new arts block? Thought the current... thing... was due to be kept as-is for the next 10 years at least? Or are you referring to the new building next to Hume?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

On the facebook site they said that their initial deadline is going to be Jan 2010, also an "all-student" email will be sent tomorrow about all the details. It supposedly will seat 600+(all info regurgitated from facebook)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

A new arts block? Thought the current... thing... was due to be kept as-is for the next 10 years at least? Or are you referring to the new building next to Hume?
    The building that's going up beside Hume is the new arts block, don't know what the old building will be used for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I heard that the building going up beside JH is a new research building and that NIRSA and An Foras Feasa are going into it, but then again everyone seems to have heard its for different things.

The plans for the new canteen look great :) I imagine I'll be long gone before it's built though, even if I plan on staying here as long as possible :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

I heard that the building going up beside JH is a new research building and that NIRSA and An Foras Feasa are going into it, but then again everyone seems to have heard its for different things.
    In first year orientation last year we were told that there was going to be a new arts block started that year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

cian1500ww wrote: »
    In first year orientation last year we were told that there was going to be a new arts block started that year.

Oh right :) a new Arts block would probably make a lot more sense too.

On the second floor balcony, there's a luxurious private dining area for president john Hughes overlooking the whole ground floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 goonyougoodthin

The plans for the new canteen look great :) I imagine I'll be long gone before it's built though, even if I plan on staying here as long as possible :P
    I got an e-mail about that new building, can't see it atm but I'll have a look for it tomorrow if I get the chance, it's going to have a 350 seat lecture theatre and 3 new research labs and I think it said something along the lines of a seating area with wifi, meant to be finished in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

It's going to host three research institutions, but students too and probably other facilities

http://communications.nuim.ie/050509.shtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Plans are up, looks nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Burn it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

cian1500ww wrote: »

Well it's not the building next to Hume. It's primarily a research building that also has a new lecture hall- so sorta like the Hume Building but minus all the extra teaching rooms. The Arts Block is, as far as I know, still the Arts Block and will be for the foreseeable- 10 years or more probably.
    LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Burn it!

Can you account for you whereabouts when the canteen vaporised? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

On Facebook (Maynooth SU page) people are suggesting (I cant open the PDF for some reason at the minute) that the President has a private dining area in the new canteen? Brilliant, John Hughes was always in the old canteen eating Ham Sambos with the little people after all :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nision

I really really really hope thats a joke. Its sad that i really cant be sure...
    Dr. Galavan will probably get one too, he seems to be well connected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

lol, private dining area. Just according to keikaku.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭leopoldbloom

Private dining room for the president, yes.

SU Shop to replace the one in the old canteen, no.

Shame... It does look lovely though, I'm not all moans!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭leopoldbloom

Also the new building beside John Hume, which I've taken to calling the Bertie Building, is a post-grad building, accommodating c. 200 students and a few of the Research Institutes, ie. an Foras Feasa etc. There is a plan for a new arts block but not until we're all gone...

PrivateEye wrote: »
    On Facebook (Maynooth SU page) people are suggesting (I cant open the PDF for some reason at the minute) that the President has a private dining area in the new canteen? Brilliant, John Hughes was always in the old canteen eating Ham Sambos with the little people after all :rolleyes:

I think there's a private dining room but I would guess it will serve as a general visitors dining room for things like official visits, inspections, funding body schmoozing and so forth. That last one being particularly important since they're the guys who toss us the money to build more canteens. And other buildings.

Don't be so hard on old President Hughes- he's far better than the last fella we had. He wanted a new whole new library named after himself, or so I am told.

Advertisement