Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas tree + puppy= disaster????

Options
  • 10-12-2009 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hey,

My new puppy is four months old (a lab) and I was just wondering would i be mad getting a christmas tree? my partner does not want to get one as he thinks the dog will chew on the tree and wires??? just wondering if this is what happens? I know he will require supervision when in the room. any thoughts????

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 merc998

Try and get a couple of boxes open them out and surrond the tree with the boxes so he cant get near the tree.or get a kennell and leave him outside but somehow i think the 2nd option isnt an option.Best of luck p.s you cant have xmas without a xmas tree its not right at all!!!!!!the dog must go before the xmas tree does.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

It's not christmas without a tree :eek:

Get a fireguard. I know he might be able to push it over, but it will give him a visual idea of how close he can get. Supervision obviously and correcting him if he goes too close.

Last year my fella was too small to cause much hassle, he couldn't knock the fireguard. This year I'm hoping he's old enough to be told to leave it and thats that. (wishful thinking I'm sure!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Our tree will be in the other room where our 5 month old golden retriever can't get his little paws on it! The cat climbing up it was bad enough - I know the puppy would knock it down and try to drag it into his 'den' :p

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Similar thread to this one came up recently.
    Use the leave it command anytime the pup goes near the tree. Same as you would if they were chewing on the couch or table etc. He will eventually get that he is not allowed near it. Eventually!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Our guy is months old now, so obviously this is his fist xmas. Got the tree over the weekned, he took one sniff, and walked away hasn't been back since. And its where his bowls usually are in the living room. But he's not what I would consider a chewer, he's only chewed one thing he shouldn't have since we got him at 8 weeks.

He's a pic of the both of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Blogger50

funkyjebus wrote: »
    Our guy is months old now, so obviously this is his fist xmas. Got the tree over the weekned, he took one sniff, and walked away hasn't been back since. And its where his bowls usually are in the living room. But he's not what I would consider a chewer, he's only chewed one thing he shouldn't have since we got him at 8 weeks.

He's a pic of the both of them

Cute!!

Same here OP, our girl is fourteen weeks and is big for her age. Put the tree up on Monday (she slept through the whole thing - was looking forward to her playing with everything :()

Anyhoo, she took a sniff or two and tried a chew but was told leave it and she has ever since! Obviously wouldnt leave her alone in the room with it! Its massive and would squash her if she pulled it :D

Ah you have to have a tree for Christmas! Give it a try, your dog might surprise you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

We had a six month old pup last christmas and this year he's 18 months and we have a seven month old pup too.
    Just put the tree up and all good so far, the pup was spayed today so bit sleepy to show any interest, Ollie couldn't care less.
    Last year Ollie liked to lay under the tree and when he had a bath he hid in it(see pic), but was very good, we just acted like it was normal and said leave it if he tried anything. He does seem to have a fondness for tinsel:o, likes to roll in it or be wrapped in it(my daughter thought it was hilarious to wrap him from head to toe, didn't get a pic before it fell off)
    I wouldn't be without a tree because of what might happen.
    Happy Christmas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

Try having kittens & a tree! Plus one massive dog that tries to steal all of the choccies hidden at the top! Most years we tie the tree to the ceiling to stop the cats pulling it down! Mind you its very cute when you look at the tree & see several sets of eyes watching you back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

so true Fayesy, first year we got out cats they chased each other up and down it the entire time it was up, wrecked the tree in 2 days. kittens and trees don't go, cats still play with lights and baubles.

Maybe last year the dog was guarding it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Brook (5 months) hasn't shown the least bit of interest in the tree, she slept through me putting it up and has ignored it ever since!!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭LBD

I agree it ain't christmas without the tree!!!

We had a five month old basset last year..... he used to grab the decorations and tinsel and run off with it.....few days into having the tree all the decorations on the bottom had slowly been moved to the middle and the top (which left us with a fairly funny lookin tree) :D:D was very funny and more of a source of amusement than a hassle!!! Pups will be pups :p

This year we have the same lad and another 8month old basset so we'll see if the tree will have to get the same treatment!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

in the same boat here,,a 14 week old and a newly decorated tree,,basically keeping her away from it as much as i can but she has managed to mangle a few trinckets so far.....oh well:rolleyes:,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭rororoyourboat

My dog is 8 yrs old now but when he was a puppy, he fell asleep under the tree, got completley tangled up in wires and presents etc etc...anyway he woke up with a jump and realised he was trapped...legged it as far as he could around the house, dragging the tree and everything with him...it's only funny now...8 yrs later! Prevention is the best solution OP!! Fireguards seem to be the best one, or maybe put the tree in a corner your dog can't get in to (if possible!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 disneymum

We have a 'nursery gaurd', one of the big bixy fireguards that go around the whole hearth. They can clip onto the wall too so one of these might be a perfect solution to your problem. We have a young pup here (17 weeks) and he has had a nose at the decorations at the bottom of the tree but thats about it. Now....when the kids take them off the tree and leave them lying about well thats a different matter, he saunters off with them and before you know it they're in tatters!:D

I agree, you can't have Christmas without a tree!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 dublindogcare

you need to get xmas tree! :)

but do be cautious , a fire guard is a good idea, or even get yourself a smaller tree and maybe put it on a little table. Or maybe start the decorations a little higher up ?

just make sure the light wires are covered up and out of reach !

good luck , I have the same problem myself , my cockers first xmas and she is a chewer im afraid !

Just get used to saying 'leave it leave it , leave it' , as I think we will be saying this more times this xmas than 'merry xmas' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

My first child was due 10 days before xmas so with me in the hospital and my hubby running around like a headless chicken there wasn't a very keen eye being kept on our then 6month old dobbie,,so on the day i arrived home from hospital with my new baby girl i was welcomed home to a leveled xmas tree chewed decorations broken lights and mangled pressies:rolleyes:,,, needless to say i was in no shape to go christmas shopping AGAIN,,so my poor family got chewed pressies that year:D oh well lesson learned,,:)

Advertisement