Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dail Procedure

Options
  • 10-12-2009 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Only since the budget have i become aware of the online services of the Oireacthas on viewing the Dáil or senate.
    But watching there and there seems to be a call for Quorum and it took 10 mins for the government TD's to take up a seat so that it could be called quorate before leaving again before the minister had finished her first sentence.

Is this common practice in the Dáil? If so thats absolutely scandalous.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

Some just turn up for the head count.
    Also if an issue is on the table, way ahead of voting party members would be told about it, so some wouldn't bother actually sitting in on these sessions.
    Most times opposition will be arguing to mostly empty seats, but both sides usually know well ahead of time what way something is going to swing, but they need to voice their side for the records/TV etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 onedoubleo

Thats just an awful waste of time then, I am mightely impressed with the service to view the Dáil nut my god does something have to be done to make it bearable.
    There should also be an easily accessed agenda for the day, the one on the site took me 30 minutes to find and it was massively changed by 11am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

You usually see the amount of time (lowest/highest) they spend in the Dail published in the papers once a year or so. The most favoured excuse for absense are the local clinics. Even though those in my area only meet once or twice a week depending on the politician (Councillor/TD).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Dail debates are a waste of time tbh. The party whip system insures that all debates are won before they take place. I've watched many votes where, like the above poster says it's just a TD listening to the sound of his own voice with a token presence on the other side, nearly just out of courtesy to the speaker more than anything else. They turn up for the vote and surprise surprise the bigger whip (gov side) wins.

I wouldn't necessarily complain about a TD if they had a low dail attendance. In reality it probably means they're doing something more productive.

Advertisement