Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job hunting

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

To any lad here wondering what kind "CV" job they are looking for, dont bother. I was the same, back home did a bit of restaurant sh1t in my college days, then a boring office job. Came here during the height of the recession paranoia in early 09 when NOBODY was hiring, did bits and pieces here and there. Dont bother- construcion general labouring is

a- easier to get. Just hang around hostels/ irish bars and make friends with people who will sort you.

b- Usually finished by 3:30. Often 6 days a week if you need it.

c- Way better pay than offices, often cash in hand- either cash or on whats called an ABN (get yourself an Australian Business Number, essentially your services are what you offer as your own company), where you are paid in full and as a self employed businessman and meant to declare your earnings at the end of the tax year, but nobody bothers and there is a 7 year backlog on reviews. God bless the chronically disorganised Aussies :) )

A year ago I wouldnt have thought I could ever work a site, I was sh1t at woodwork/ metalwork etc in school and reckoned Id be found out. To work labour in Oz all you need to know is that a crowbar is called a matic, a pick up is called a ute, breaktime is called smoko, and essentially you are sorted as long as you can sweep, knock in a wall or two and lift bags of rubble ;) Zero skill. Seriously, stay away from offices, they are death.

Good luck :)

Advertisement