Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kennel Bedding

Options
  • 10-12-2009 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭

Hi,
    Just looking for some advice for bedding to pt in my dogs outdoor kennel, we had been using pillows, towels and sheets but with the bad weather there frequently damp and sometimes even mouldy - any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Vet Bed - from any decent pet shop. Easy clean, wicks away moisture and they can't shred it so easily...

Loads of it on eBay too.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

I'll second the vet bed. You can get it on eBay relatively cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Incheerocket

Definetly vet bed, try bronteglen, or loads on ebay, I've had pieces for 15 years that are still going, and have been in and out of the washing machine week in week out in all that time, stays dry on the top for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Agree vet bed is great.

Although I would check the kennel itself it shouldn't be damp or mouldy.
    It's letting in water somewhere, perhaps putting a blue tarp over it for extra protection.

In dry weather paint the kennel with Ronseal wood stain (the pet safe one) to prevent water damage and so will prevent mould.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bookerboy

I've been using straw for the past couple of weeks.I also screwed a board accross the door or the kennel about eight inches high.
    This makes the dog have to step over it to get into the kennel,makes the door smaller(and kennel warmer)and also prevents the dog from dragging the straw out.
    He really loves it and is always nice and warm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭cianer

mine have waterproof mattresses, they have a tog quality and are scratch resistant, they love them. You can hose them down if they get dirty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭sofia11

We always use shredded paper, loads of offices glad to get rid of it. The dogs love it and it shines their coat when newly changed. It can be recycled in paper waste when it gets dusty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭traceybere

Thanks all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I tried shredded paper once, but it went all over the place. Hay could be an option but poor quality hay can carry mould spores so ensure it's sweet smelling. I also tried water resistant mattresses they were grand but didn't hold much heat and condensation can build up on the bottom of them.

Advertisement