Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can someone please tell me where the cost of living in Ireland has come down??

Options
  • 10-12-2009 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Can someone please tell me where the cost of living has come down? this year my car insurance, health insurance, house insurance, mortgage protection and life insurance went up!! the doctor still costs the same as does the dentist, however I will admit that a few things in the supermarkets came down but not alot! The cost of travel ie on trains has gone up, the cost of taxing the car is the same, paying the refuse is the same, I cant honestly say that any of my bills have reduced this year,as a matter of fact they have increased, the cost of fuel for the fire is the same, diesal for the car is the same, can someone point out where has the cost of living come down?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

bmmck wrote: »
    Can someone please tell me where the cost of living has come down? this year my car insurance, health insurance, house insurance, mortgage protection and life insurance went up!! the doctor still costs the same as does the dentist, however I will admit that a few things in the supermarkets came down but not alot! The cost of travel ie on trains has gone up, the cost of taxing the car is the same, paying the refuse is the same, I cant honestly say that any of my bills have reduced this year,as a matter of fact they have increased, the cost of fuel for the fire is the same, diesal for the car is the same, can someone point out where has the cost of living come down?

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

The cost of petrol is the one thing that bothers me, I haven't seen any real price drop despite the price of oil plummeting during the recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

check the CSO, not asking for hearsay on Boards
    http://www.cso.ie/releasespublications/documents/prices/current/cpi.pdf

The most notable changes in the year were decreases in Housing, Water, Electricity, Gas & Other Fuels (-24.7%), Clothing & Footwear (-13.9%), Food & Non-Alcoholic Beverages (-7.6%), and Furnishings, Household Equipment &
    Routine Household Maintenance (-4.3%).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

interest rates on mortgages have gone down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

zootroid wrote: »
    The cost of petrol is the one thing that bothers me, I haven't seen any real price drop despite the price of oil plummeting during the recession.

I'd disagree with that. At the height I think I paid €1.45 per litre of diesel. After the drop I got it for €0.92/ litre. It's now €1.07 in my local petrol station (although that's probably changed since last night:pac:).

Bear in mind that most of the money for you litre of petrol goes to the government that's why when the price of oil drops by 50% you don't see a 50% drop in the pump price (they can only drop the price of the profit they make not the amount the government takes).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 bmmck

I didnt benefit from the interest rate drop as mine is fixed, I fixed them when they were going higher and higher, you cant win...... I do save a bit more but that is because I started to do the bulk of my shopping in lidl or aldi, because Dunnes etc is still dear enough, the biggest rip off is Supervalu.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Shop around for all of the items you listed.

If people moved with their feet they would get the savings necessary. You existing providers are NOT going to knock at your door offering savings. Pick up the phone and shop around. Its easy. But guaranteed that you will save.

Oh and dont stop there do it again next year. Thats business for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

listermint wrote: »
    Shop around for all of the items you listed.

If people moved with their feet they would get the savings necessary. You existing providers are NOT going to knock at your door offering savings. Pick up the phone and shop around. Its easy. But guaranteed that you will save.

Oh and dont stop there do it again next year. Thats business for you.

How can people still be that thick that they don't realise that if you keep going back to the same people regardless of the price they charge, the price will go up!

Its like upwards only rent reviews FFS. The price only goes one way if you go back and say please sir can I have some more. Go to the guy offering it for 5c less even if it does have a different name on it and the first guy will wake up soon enough.

Only in Ireland do people refuse to shop around and wonder why prices won't go down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 bmmck

I agree about shopping around and I have done so with all my insurance this yr and managed to keep the premiums at the same as last year, apart from health insurance, thats gone through the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I assumed everyone had the cop on to change their insurance etc. all the time, don't think my dad's been with the same car insurance company two years in a row in the last 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Costs have come down nearly everywhere were the government do not have an input into.

The exceptions are Insurance because they took a tanking when the downturn hit due to bad investments, followed up by events like the flooding and people claiming on things like mortgage protection when they lost their jobs.

I have moved shopping from the bigger chains to Aldi/Lidl and I am saving a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

Rent on residential property has decreased over 2008/9 ( by at least 20% in my experience )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

bmmck wrote: »

Everything and anything to do with health or health insurance will go up for ever and ever amen. Let's just park that one.
    My car and house insurance goes up every year on receiving my renewal notice. I go online. Get best offer I can. Call back my usual, demand the beat my best online quote. Always works.
    How in blazes can your life insurance go up?
    Petrol is definitely cheaper!!
    Home heating fuel / gas is cheaper. Remember here that the ever weaker US dollar is restricting the fall in cost of fuel. It would be even cheaper still compared to last year if dollar remained on a par with last year.
    Electricity is cheaper.
    Food is cheaper.
    Booze is cheaper.
    General cost of cars and car maintenance is cheaper. My regular car service is a good 50% lower than 2 years ago.
    In my area competition between local hardware shops is fierce. There is a significant drop in lots of prices.
    Resturaunts way down in price for those that go there. Not me.
    Wife and daughters tell me clothes much better value, but choice more limited.
    Too many Irish people are too lazy to shop around and for that matter haggle with local suppliers for big ticket items. I always say, haggle like f,*k

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ceret

Rent on residential property has decreased over 2008/9 ( by at least 20% in my experience )

Yeah rent is one thing that's come down a lot. Thank god.

Advertisement