Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why can not two users use the same computer ?

Options
  • 10-12-2009 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭

In many homes and businesses and institutions , two or more people may have access to the same computer. Why can not two different people, each with their own e-mail address and user name, be members of boards.ie ? I have been banned from one section of boards.ie and have been told the reason is because someone else was a member too. Highly unfair methinks.

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

No, you were told the reason is because you signed up a second account to circumvent a ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

oscarBravo wrote: »
    No, you were told the reason is because you signed up a second account to circumvent a ban.

I certainly did not sign up a second account to circumvent that 2-week ban - I am not that desperate to post in that section and did not mind doing so for the 2 weeks. I believe the second account was set up by someone else. The 2 weeks had well passed and I was posting and then - WHAM - I find I have a permanent ban. Why can not two different people, each with their own e-mail address and user name, be members of boards.ie ? Why am I banned ? If I was banned for something I wrote, fair enough - but I am not. Neither did I attack other posters, although one or two attacked me , and got away with it. If I was arguing the case for the public sector unions, others have said I would not be banned.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I don't believe you - which is why I banned you - but I'll let another admin review the situation. The only mistake was not increasing the 2-week ban to a permanent ban at the same time the second account was banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

I am happy if you let another admin review the situation. Its your website, you make and enforce the rules, I am not going to lose any sleep over it. Its a great website ( grovel grovel ! ) and while I do think I had strong opinions on the politics thread, I think time is proving me right over the past number of months, and more and more people are accepting the need for cuts in public sector pay + pensions now compared to say 6 months ago.
    I do realise my signature may get up the noses of some people , so if I am re-admitted to the politics thread I am willing to delete it / have no signature. I also am willing to post less and / or have a ban until January. I would not mind getting banned if it was something I said or done - but as I said before I generally went for the ball, not the player, unlike some others who got away with consistently saying things about me. I did probably post too much, but to get banned for someone else registering and posting is a bit unfair I think. I checked my email address and I only registered once.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I've had a look at this and concur with oscarBravo. I don't believe you and the other account were different users.

• Advertisement
Advertisement