Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

licence "reviews"

Options
  • 10-12-2009 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭

my cousin rang me today to ask me if i got a letter about my firearms applications/renewals as he had received one today, i haven't so far ,

the letter he got was from the super saying he wouldn't be renewing his licences until mid-january at the earliest as he was going to be doing reviews .his licence extensions have been up since the end of october like mine and i have heard nothing either .

is this the latest load of trouble to come from the gardai / doj ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Its not just the standard we have recieved your application letter is it? that gives a date 3 months after the date of the Garda Letter for it to be evaluated.
    Its a bit late if you sent it in after before the end of October to be recieveing it now but has it spent some time in the local station or did they look for additional information?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

There's nothing in law to allow a delay like that really - if the application was in by July 31, the decision is due by October 31. If the super doesn't reply until after that three month limit, legally it's a refusal. Regardless of whether or not he says he's delayed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭pedroeibar

Sparks wrote: »
    There's nothing in law to allow a delay like that really - if the application was in by July 31, the decision is due by October 31. If the super doesn't reply until after that three month limit, legally it's a refusal. Regardless of whether or not he says he's delayed.

Yes Sparks, but this is Ireland. My extensions are up 31/12, my apps are in since 17 Sept. (a Dublin district) and I've got nothing yet. Called the local station again today and was told everyone's is delayed, "hundreds" of them to process, etc. But, says I, I'll be illegal from Jan 1st. "Don't worry, it'll be allright, shoot away and if you're stopped tell them to contact me." My guess is that my apps have not even left the local ststion yet.

Now, do I pi$$ off the guy (who is nice, friendly and says I'll have no problem) by writing him a letter or do I let it slide, a la Mangy Moggy Ireland? I've decided on the latter.
    FWIW
    P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

From the NARGC site:

The question has been constantly raised as to whether firearms licence holders have to hand their firearms in to a firearms dealer if their licence applications/renewals had still not been processed by the end of the period of extension which was granted by the Garda Commissioner.

This matter was addressed by the Head of the Firearms Policy Unit at Garda HQ, Superintendent Fergus Healy, at a meeting of the Firearms Consultative Panel in the Department of Justice on October 6th 2009. At that meeting he stated that the Gardai would be taking a pragmatic approach to this matter and elaborated that it would be the same approach they had historically taken in relation to the payment of licence fees i.e. even those who paid late were not required to surrender their firearms.

Because of continuing questions on this subject as a result of some Garda stations telling licence applicants that they would have to hand in their guns if the licences were not processed at the end of the extension period, NARGC Director Des Crofton raised the issue again at a meeting he had with Superintendent Healy and other officers at Garda HQ on November 5th 2009 and Superintendent Healy not only repeated what he had said at the FCP meeting on October 6th, but went on to say that the matter had been discussed with the Garda Commissioner who had agreed to this approach. He agreed we could quote this by way of publication of the assurance given.

Therefore, if licence applications are in the system at the end of an extension period but not yet issued, guns do not have to be handed in. If however the applications have not been made at the end of the extension period, then that is a different matter and the guns do have to be handed in. Also, if a refusal to grant has been made, even before the extension period has expired, the gun owner must dispose of the gun or hand it in to a dealer pending the determination of any appeal to the District Court.

This re-enforces our previous urging of gun owners to get their applications in as quickly as possible. There are now literally thousands of licences being processed every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

My extensions ran out on 31st Oct, applications submitted mid Sept. I have been in touch with the Garda every week since mid October and still nothing. In the meantime I cannot go to the range, I cannot buy ammo and am getting extremely pi**ed off. :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement

BornToKill wrote: »
    From the NARGC site: etc., etc.

Thanks BTK,
    Good to know.

Sfakiaman - why not just go to the range? If you are known I suggest that you would not have a problem buying ammo for use there. I've bought both 12 & 20g without a problem on my IFP even though it is out of date.
    Rs
    P.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

sfakiaman wrote: »
    My extensions ran out on 31st Oct, applications submitted mid Sept. I have been in touch with the Garda every week since mid October and still nothing. In the meantime I cannot go to the range, I cannot buy ammo and am getting extremely pi**ed off. :mad::mad::mad:

Same boat, Acknowledgement letters and thats all. They were very efficient refusing my 9mm.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

pedroeibar wrote: »
    Thanks BTK,
    Good to know.

Sfakiaman - why not just go to the range? If you are known I suggest that you would not have a problem buying ammo for use there. I've bought both 12 & 20g without a problem on my IFP even though it is out of date.
    Rs
    P.

Proably because it would be illegal for him to shoot there,and for the range to allow him to shoot there as well ,even though he is a member.Not to mind it no doubt would be a nice "catch " for the gardai to leak to the media and do us no favours either.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Same boat lads haven't received anything but im still shooting away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

sfakiaman wrote: »
    If they are non-restricted firearms, you can get a permit from your Garda Station to possess and carry under 2(3)(a) and if your club has an authorisation under either 2(4)(d) or 4A then you can use them there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

rrpc wrote: »
    If they are non-restricted firearms, you can get a permit from your Garda Station to possess and carry under 2(3)(a) and if your club has an authorisation under either 2(4)(d) or 4A then you can use them there.

Thanks RRPC, the postman brought good news on the non-restricteds today so I am somewhat relieved. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

I got an extension on my license 24/02/10

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Got a bunch of my unrestricted confirmation letters of recipt of applications today. But the dates are mad for decision times!! All lodged on Aug 26th 2009!!

21/12 2009[today] for the Combo ,[Nothing else sofar today]
    and semi auto shotgun,
    30/12/09 for the pump
    5/01/2010 for the bolt action .22
    Nothing on the restricted,a 9mm, Semi rifle and bizzarely a remington1100 shotgun.Yet the pump and semi are restricted as well????

The chaos and wait continues...;)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

I now have received the "receipts" of my 3 shotgun applics., dated 10/12, posted 23/12 so that is almost exactly 3 months after I dropped them in. Letters say I have to wait the three months for evaluation. No sign of the receipt for the restricted rifle.............
    P.

Today's mail brought me three approvals for the shotguns! :) Nothing yet on the restricted rifle. Hoping that I can get my EU pass renewed on these letters as I'm off to shoot in England at end of month.....
    P.

Advertisement