Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On board QWERTY/virtual QWERTY keyboard

• 10-12-2009 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how ye find typing text msgs etc on qwerty keyboards? I've never had a phone that had one, so am a little anxious as to whether i'll be able to type as fast.

I've never used predictive text either as I like to type shorthand like the following "2day....2many...wud..." and I presume that the predictive txt would only type the full text.

Anyways...basically I never really learned how to type with predictive text :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Komplett: Marc

I'm using the HTC hero and I have to say it's virtual keyboard been really kind to me, but when I make a mistake I often don't notice until it's too late :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Someone admitting they like using txt spk :eek:
    *gets fire*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

Its about time that Qwerty keyboards were done away with altogether in this day and age. They were invented during the printing press days and specifically kept the most used "punch" keys apart so as they wouldnt wear out the one area being punched all the time and also had the word "typewriter" aloong the top row so salesmen who couldnt type could easily show customers how it worked with one finger. Its in no way handy and we could easily adjust now before its too late..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have a Samsung Jet and find the touchscreen qwerty is a lot faster to use than a normal phone with numeric/alpha keys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

at the moment im using an onscreen qwerty.. i used it for the first few months with predictive off, for the same reason as you but then i changed to predictive because u can add words to the dictionary and it uses the words you type most often.. but thats with android and i dont know what other OS keyboards are like?

The only drawback i would say i found with an on screen qwerty keypad is that when you type you have to lift your finger off the screen after every key press unlike on a physical keypad or number pad where you can "feel" your way around the keyboard without having to look at..

But if your deciding between an on screen and a hardware qwerty then i would go for the hardware one as i found i made less mistakes on it..

Although i think this on the omnia 2 and this would solve those mistake problems.. hopefully!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTooBnKAdSw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

C-Shore wrote: »
    at the moment im using an onscreen qwerty.. i used it for the first few months with predictive off, for the same reason as you but then i changed to predictive because u can add words to the dictionary and it uses the words you type most often.. but thats with android and i dont know what other OS keyboards are like?

The only drawback i would say i found with an on screen qwerty keypad is that when you type you have to lift your finger off the screen after every key press unlike on a physical keypad or number pad where you can "feel" your way around the keyboard without having to look at..

But if your deciding between an on screen and a hardware qwerty then i would go for the hardware one as i found i made less mistakes on it..

Although i think this on the omnia 2 and this would solve those mistake problems.. hopefully!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTooBnKAdSw

Yeah whats that "Swype" program about?

Someone admitting they like using txt spk :eek:
    *gets fire*

whats text speak? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭steelbar

Qwerty and on virtual keyboards makes it alot harder to text while driving,or so I have heard,as we all know its against the law!

And if you have big fingers it gets frustrating,its like Homer in that episode where he is so fat he has to mash the keypad on the phone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Hardware keyboards are addictive - I've got an E61 that I can't seem to replace.

The iPhone's on-screen is very usable, but for me it gets annoying if there's any serious text entry to be done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

rushnaldo wrote: »
    Its about time that Qwerty keyboards were done away with altogether in this day and age. They were invented during the printing press days and specifically kept the most used "punch" keys apart so as they wouldnt wear out the one area being punched all the time and also had the word "typewriter" aloong the top row so salesmen who couldnt type could easily show customers how it worked with one finger. Its in no way handy and we could easily adjust now before its too late..

That's a ridiculous thought, there's no reason whatsoever to get rid of QWERTY keyboards. Anyway one of the reasons was not to prevent them getting worn, it was prevent the type levers catching each other and getting stuck preventing them returning to their resting place, something that still happens anyway with certain keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dr Rod Doom

rushnaldo wrote: »

Errr, I'd venture to say it is a bit too late, plus, have you ever tried to type something on an alphabetical keyboard? (i.e. some Xbox text entry screens) It's a lot more awkward.

I used the virtual keyboard on my 5800 for a while and it was nice as a novelty, but in the end I found myself drifting back to the alphanumeric keypad with predictive text, just worked out more accurate for me.
    But I think physical keyboard is the way forward - alphanumeric keypads or onscreen virtual keyboards just aren't good enough for writing anything more than texts and very short emails

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

Yeah whats that "Swype" program about?

Swype is the best keyboard by a long shot! I installed it on to my HTC HD2 and have not looked back. If you want to type a word in you just drag your finger around the keyboard, to type boards you just press on B and slide over the other letters. It's so cool!!

untitled-2.jpg

GigaByte wrote: »
    Swype is the best keyboard by a long shot! I installed it on to my HTC HD2 and have not looked back. If you want to type a word in you just drag your finger around the keyboard, to type boards you just press on B and slide over the other letters. It's so cool!!

untitled-2.jpg

Never heard of this before!! And if you just swipe you finger...how does the program know which buttons you want pressed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

Never heard of this before!! And if you just swipe you finger...how does the program know which buttons you want pressed?

Same way as predictive text, except it knows for sure the first and last letters. So it just needs to figure out from your selection the in between letters. It can figure out other definite letters by direction change, eg the letter O, A, R and D. :)

Advertisement