Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birthday cake assistance

Options
  • 10-12-2009 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Need to make my boyfriend a birthday cake. Im trying to make a skittle mountain. Can anyone give me any advice on how I should hold the skittles onto the mountain? Will thick icing do it or should I try marzipan or something else?

Ive already figured out how to make the cake into the shape of a mountain (either two bases or cutting a large cake around the circumference at an angle and cutting the excess into a peak shape and putting it on top if that makes any sense)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭DreamC

You could use thick royal icing or edible glue for that. Or melted white choco would be also ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

Ooooh white chocolate... thats an idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Normal chocolate at the bottom and white on top would make it look like a snow topped mountain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Ellechim

What about butter icing? very easy to make and colour and easier to work with than royal icing...or melted chocolate

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

I tried to make butter icing before and it was just pure grease. Would you have a recipe? Is it thicker? I'm trying to figure out something thick enough to hold the skittles in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭smallgarden

butter icing tends to be one part marg/butter to two parts icing sugar
    eg 50g marg 100g icing sugar which can taste like pure marg
    i normally use more about 50g marg to 150-200g,as it makes it nicer
    itd be thick enough to stick smarties on it,dont think melted choc would hold it in place

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭DreamC

Melted choc would hold anything in place (certainly, if you know how to handle it and know what you are doing :) )

Advertisement