Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joomla - charging

Options
  • 10-12-2009 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Are there any legal issues with doing a website with joomla and charging for the service? I'm planning on using some of the free themes avaliable and I'm not sure if its prohibited to charge when joomla and the themes are free themselves.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Check the website you got the theme off, they'll usually give terms of use. Most allow commercial usage, but might require you to leave the footer intact or something like that.

There's no legal issues using Joomla and charging -- indeed some people base their entire web design business on selling Joomla or Drupal-based sites with little modification !

(this post does not represent legal advice !)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭juror

Ok, thanks very much. Very informative answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 amstrad

Dave! wrote: »
    Check the website you got the theme off, they'll usually give terms of use. Most allow commercial usage, but might require you to leave the footer intact or something like that.

There's no legal issues using Joomla and charging -- indeed some people base their entire web design business on selling Joomla or Drupal-based sites with little modification !

(this post does not represent legal advice !)

kildeal creations use Joomia and charge lots for it.Should not be allowed

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

amstrad wrote: »

We know, you told us this in your own thread, your best to keep it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 amstrad

yop wrote: »
    We know, you told us this in your own thread, your best to keep it there.

you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

juror wrote: »
    Are there any legal issues with doing a website with joomla and charging for the service? I'm planning on using some of the free themes avaliable and I'm not sure if its prohibited to charge when joomla and the themes are free themselves.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

You are charging for your time, not for Joomla. Don't know the license on the particular template though, you may not be allowed use it for commercial use.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

As Dave! said, check out the licensing details of the template. You might have to keep a link in the footer / not claim it as your own work etc. There is absolutely nothing wrong with charging for your time - just make it clear to the customer what the licensing / IPR implications are.
    amstrad wrote:

Why not? I don't think you should confuse your experience with a company to having the right to get paid for your time. Suppose you asked a company to install a copy of OpenOffice (free software) on your computer. Should they do that for free just because the software itself doesn't cost anything?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

amstrad wrote: »
    you think?

Yes I do, your beginning to look foolish. You have a problem with them, you discussed this in another thread, there is no point in bringing this into every possible thread which MAY have something to do with what a company does or uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

I remember a friend of a friend paying someone to set them up a Blogspot blog. If that's not robbery, I don't know what is :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭donnaille

Bono Vox wrote: »
    I remember a friend of a friend paying someone to set them up a Blogspot blog. If that's not robbery, I don't know what is :eek:
    Imagine that they charged for their time.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

donnaille wrote: »
    Imagine that they charged for their time.:rolleyes:

Yeah, €300 for a whole five minutes :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭donnaille

Bono Vox wrote: »
    Yeah, €300 for a whole five minutes :rolleyes:

There was no mention of a price in your previous post, I just pointed out that there is nothing wrong with charging someone for a service you provide, it may not be to everyones needs to pay for the service but I'm sure your friend had the option.
    This isn't saying that I don't think your friend was taken advantage of with regards the amount charged.

donnaille wrote: »
    There was no mention of a price in your previous post, I just pointed out that there is nothing wrong with charging someone for a service you provide, it may not be to everyones needs to pay for the service but I'm sure your friend had the option.
    This isn't saying that I don't think your friend was taken advantage of with regards the amount charged.

Yeah, no worries should have mentioned the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

Hi There!

I recommend you take a look at the Joomla License: http://help.whatyadoin.com/LICENSE.php and also read this carefully:
    These restrictions translate to certain responsibilities for you if you distribute copies of the software, or if you modify it. For example, if you distribute copies of such a program, whether gratis or for a fee, you must give the recipients all the rights that you have. You must make sure that they, too, receive or can get the source code.

I hope this solves your issue :) .

Advertisement