Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MEMUP Mediadisk FX 500 GB/ Xp Wont detect the Media player

• 10-12-2009 8:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭

My mate has a MEMUP Mediadisk FX 500 GB http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/3970224/art/memup/mediadisk-fx-500-gb-media.html

He recieved it from pixmania and when he plugged it in to the laptop, their was the "Ping" noise, for when the computer detects a new hard ware thing being connected, but in explorer the drive doesnt show up!

Ive been searching all over the net cant find anyhting, and was hoping anyone here has an idea to fix it, as from what I gather the pixmania crowd customer service is ****e!

He has a HP laptop, Windows XP...

There was a disk with the HD but it only had instructions on it, so not sure if drivers are needed or anything?

Cheers for replys guys!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Is that drive solely powered by the USB cable or does it have it's own power supply cable ?

If it's only powered by USB, then it's probably not getting enough power from the USB connection. You may need to use a USB powered hub, or alternatively one of those double ended cables, where 2 plugs go into 2 of the computers sockets and feed back into the single-ended cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tialmiranda

hello,

I'm having the same problem that "flynner13" posted here. The problem is not the lack of energy, because the drive has it's own power supply cable. Does anyone know what to do in this situation?

Thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

Hi,

Ended up getting this fixed, the drive which detects the External HD was named the same as the C drive... So just renaming the drive works... heres a link to a few peoples possible problem solving...
    Windows XP wont recognize Ext HD

Pay particular attention to this post, as I think thats how my mate fixed it in the end, just renaming the ext HD... funny thing was he found another 160GB free on his laptop that he never knew was there!

Hope it helps!
    I had vista OS before, I formatted and installed Windows 2003 server. When I tried connected External hard drive (western Digital Mybook) it would'nt recognize it.
    After reading all the answers, I went into Administrative tools->Computer Management->Disk Management. I could see all the drives there with the alloted size. There was one drive without any letter alloted to it. I knew it was MYBOOK external drive. So all I did was assign a Letter ( E in this case) and it worked Great! ( I had to give new letter to dvd drive to F, as it had E before). Thanks guys! paritosh.

Hi,

Thank you "flynner13", your tip was really helpfull. Problem fixxed. :)

Best regards.

No Worries! Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 hunter8

Recently purchased this item from Pixmania and have had similar problems to flynner13 and tialmiranda ie my computer won't pick up the hdd , it seems to keep trying but drops out with the ping noise.Tried looking in Disk management but doesn't tell me anything. Trying to get back to Pixmania and Memup.com for support is a nightmare, any further help would be appreciated

hunter8 wrote: »
    Recently purchased this item from Pixmania and have had similar problems to flynner13 and tialmiranda ie my computer won't pick up the hdd , it seems to keep trying but drops out with the ping noise.Tried looking in Disk management but doesn't tell me anything. Trying to get back to Pixmania and Memup.com for support is a nightmare, any further help would be appreciated

There a hopeless company for customer support, based in france...

Did you mananage to change the drive information in disk management... it seems most peoples problem is with that! The link I posted above should give a few more fixes... but more than likely you'll just have to rename the drive for the ext HD and it will format it for you etc.

Checked disk management on my Laptop as opposed to my Desktop above and find the hdd , it is an Hitachi and says it is unallocated in the box but don't know how to give it an allocation. Has anyone any suggestions

When you see where its saying its unallocated try right clicking or clicking into it, possibly in properties, Im not 100% cause I dont have it here with me! Mess around a bit with the allocation and it should work hopefully!

Hello,

Try this steps:

Panel control -> Administrative tools-> Computer Management-> Disk Management

Click with the right button on Hitachi disk -> Select “partition” (I don’t know if this is the correct technical term in english. I’m doing the translation of the portuguese term “partição”) -> follow the steps of the windows assistant of “partition”.

At the first or second step it will allow you to choose a letter that allocates your Hd.

You must format the HD, otherwise you will see that your Hd has 0 (zero) megabytes of memory. You can do it, selecting the “quick format” during the “partition” process. Doing this your HD will appear with all its memory.

• Advertisement

flynner13 wrote: »
    When you see where its saying its unallocated try right clicking or clicking into it, possibly in properties, Im not 100% cause I dont have it here with me! Mess around a bit with the allocation and it should work hopefully!
    Thanks fo your time Flynner13 I have messed around a bit ,got into properties but it says its working ok , I have discovered that it is in C Drive my os drive , but can't figure how to move it out afraid of messing to much incase I infringe my warranty.Notice when I right click there is a box called new simple volume which opens up a volume wizard but once again afraid of infringing my warranty. Have managed to get email of to Pixmania customer care which has been acknowledged so will see what they say.
    Once again thanks for your help so far.

I doubt any actions like that would mess with the warranty. You just have to go in and change the name of the drive, it wont delete anything and im sure it can be reverted if it goes wrong... but it is as far as i know a matter of changing the name of the volume of the HD... just dont delete anything and you should be fine.

When you select a new drive say for example F: it will ask you to format the drive which is fine as its brand new... just be careful not to format your OS...

Hi all
    Finally getting somewhere, waited to see if support coming from Pixmania but as yet nothing so "bit the bullet". After following the disk management route and right clicking on properties then selected simple volume wizard and it allowed me to change disk allocation. This action separated the disk and then I could copy file from my main computer. But I'm only half way there , I cannot copy from external hard drives , it starts copying and then says cannot find location. It would appear that there is some cross link to my OS drive. Went back into disk management and right clicked again and see a term saying convert to Dynamic Disk. Don't know what this means . Opened it and message box says "If you convert to Dynamic disk you will not be able to start installed operating systems from any volume on disk(except the current boot volume) are you sure want to continue"
    Possibly this is the the final step. What do you think? I'm dissapointed that Memup/Pixmania sent out equipment that wasn't properly formatted

• Registered Users Posts: 6 154876

im having a problem with my player i formatted it to clear its content & know when it loads up the menu & i want to go into hard drive it no longer allows me. if anyone knows how to fix this advice would be appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Dont mean to open up a dead thread here but didnt wanna make a second one either.

I bought one of these for me da there at christmas and one for a mate more then a year ago.

Me da s one has just stopped working when i plug it into a tv it will bring up the menu but say no device in the corner of the screen.

On the pc it will not load up along with rest my internal and external drives.

Ive follow some of the steps mentioned earlyer in the thread *Im using win7 so only so much i could do*

Right now im stuck as anytime i plug the drive into my pc it will cause most system tools to crash or run slow. Disk management no longer loads so i cant get in there i can view the drive in its dead state threw devices and printers but again even a right click on the drive will either lagg or freeze the screen.

Any ideas at all im really stuck and as far as ive heard getting back to pixmania is going to be a nightmare. Memup are also impossible to get hold of.

Dont mean to open up a dead thread here but didnt wanna make a second one either.

I bought one of these for me da there at christmas and one for a mate more then a year ago.

Me da s one has just stopped working when i plug it into a tv it will bring up the menu but say no device in the corner of the screen.

On the pc it will not load up along with rest my internal and external drives.

Ive follow some of the steps mentioned earlyer in the thread *Im using win7 so only so much i could do*

Right now im stuck as anytime i plug the drive into my pc it will cause most system tools to crash or run slow. Disk management no longer loads so i cant get in there i can view the drive in its dead state threw devices and printers but again even a right click on the drive will either lagg or freeze the screen.

Any ideas at all im really stuck and as far as ive heard getting back to pixmania is going to be a nightmare. Memup are also impossible to get hold of.
    Hi I'm afraid I haven't any solution to your problem. My problems all stemmed from the fact that Memup had not formatted disc in the 1st instant and it seemed currupted. However I moved quickly by emailing them and sending back within the 1st seven days. They checked it out and agreed it was faulty , I got full refund including postage. However if you don't send it back within the 7 day period you will not get postage refunded (€40 ) even if they agree goods are faulty. At this point you should email customer service and explain your problem and they will advise what to try. Sorry can't help

Hi I'm afraid I haven't any solution to your problem. My problems all stemmed from the fact that Memup had not formatted disc in the 1st instant and it seemed currupted. However I moved quickly by emailing them and sending back within the 1st seven days. They checked it out and agreed it was faulty , I got full refund including postage. However if you don't send it back within the 7 day period you will not get postage refunded (€40 ) even if they agree goods are faulty. At this point you should email customer service and explain your problem and they will advise what to try. Sorry can't help

Thanks for the reply :-) was it pixmania or memup u emailed cause I've no idea how get touch with memup.

Yeah it was pixmania but apparently they returned it to memup to verify problem. Like you I bought for someone else as a surprize present , luckily I tried out before giving. Since then you can now purchase cheap dvd players with USB ports and play media via compter hard drive or external HD or small data sticks without the need for Expensive Media players

Poxy Pixmania twice i have asked them and twice get same automated reply. Does anyone have any idea how to contact Memup??? cause i cant find details for them anywhere.

Advertisement