Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Average speed traps. You cant say they dont work.

• 10-12-2009 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭

Was in England last weekend and i can honestly say Average speed traps are the single most effective thing I have ever seen on a road network. Not a single person going over the speed limit.

I dont know why they arent employed in more places on accident black spots. That said i hope to god they dont bring them in here but they are certainly more effective than any garda ambush traps ive seen used here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yep, they make you paranoid about whether you were over the limit for 30 seconds back there, then you need to go that much under the limit for 30 seconds to make it up!

You could always pull over for a coffee just after the first camera, then drive as fast as the car will go :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I like them a lot more than I like the fixed speed cameras anyway.

My main problem with speed cameras in general though is their positions. Don't put them on the safe roads before you put them in the accident black spots !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Yup, I love the idea of average speed cameras if implemented sensibly..

Would love if they were cheap enough to replace speed bumps on rat runs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,926 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They're great, they leave the outer lanes on the M42 empty for Irish reg cars ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

samsemtex wrote: »
    Average speed traps
    That's the best thing about them - there's no trap. As above, an excellent alternative to speed bumps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Drove over to Scotland during the summer past. Went via belfast and then over on the ferry. The old Garmin warned you if you exceeded the average speed, this was annoying but handy at the same time. It also knew about every fixed camera and temporary camera spot. I don't understand why this can't be done here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

average speed cameras are mostly used at road works location and , as said, are very effective and most welcome when workers safety is the issue.

They also have notices TELLING you when they arent in use so I assume if there isnt a notice , they are live all the time.

The most effect a speed camera of any kind can have is deterant rather than punitive.Driving in the UK makes you very aware of your speed and has to be a positive contributuion to road safety. (didnt stop me getting a ticket though...38 in a 30 zone...)

I hope them rotten yokes never get into this country. I had enough of them in the short time I lived in the UK.

On a side note, the theory I have for them not using them everywhere is simple. Everyone will obey them and therefore the income from speeding fines will all but disappear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

We could waste millions implementing an average speed camera system on our motorway network (which in reality, is the only place it can be used) or we could spend this money making our secondary road network much safer (where the vast majority of crashes are happening) and to improve driver training.

I know what I'd chose.

Good for roadworks I guess though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭rohatch

They do not work. All you have to do is change lanes each time you pass one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

rohatch wrote: »
    They do not work. All you have to do is change lanes each time you pass one.
    I really wouldn't count on it. Yes, I have heard that reported wrt some of these cameras, but I really wouldn't bet on it unless you know somebody who has actually tested the theory on that set of cameras. It's the easiest problem in the world to fix - now that the exploit is known, I'll bet that no camera deployed in the future will have this flaw.

Advertisement