If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seen the best picture possible today........

Options
  • 10-12-2009 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭

...running through harvey normans (dont worry, I was just picking up a DSi!!) I caught a Philips tv out of the corner of my eye, it had the Dark Night playing and it was literally like looking through a window - I've never seen a picture that good before. It was a strange shape though, it was advertised as a 56" but it was definitley not as tall as a normal lcd/plasma. I'm already concocting plans to sabotage the 50" sammy sometime next year to get one of these, what are they going for now? (dont even know the model number)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭GirRobot

That sounds like the Cineos (i think) screen. Its at a much wider resolution than a normal tv. Its the same as a cimema screen. It lets you watch movies in the proper resolution without the black borders. It is definitely the nicest TV I have laid my eyes on in a shop. They are pretty expensive though. Around 4k euro I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭kingaaa

thats actually what it reminded me of, a cinema screen. How does standard definition/tv play on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭vestanpance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

I wonder how the imax scenes in that movie would look on it?

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

GirRobot wrote: »
    That sounds like the Cineos (i think) screen. Its at a much wider resolution than a normal tv. Its the same as a cimema screen. It lets you watch movies in the proper resolution without the black borders. It is definitely the nicest TV I have laid my eyes on in a shop. They are pretty expensive though. Around 4k euro I believe.

Yep boys look and weep - it's a beauty - it's a native resolution 21:9 (2.39:1 actually to be really pedantic...see wide screen displayed correctly for once!)

I installed one in a dream beach home in Brittas Bay recently and it just looks like the dogs dangly bits - completely amazing - it's not even the picture quality - it's just the format - it looks so damn right!

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/5/56pfl9954h_12/56pfl9954h_12_pss_eng.pdf

Thats the link to the technical Specs - we have one running full time in The Philips Shop and if you want to have a good look at it we will always pop your own Blu-Ray on for you (we are even happy to get it into the Demo room and run it with a denon or the new Philips 9500 Blu Ray if you want a serious critical demo.

It's funny watching it in The Philips Shop - because we have it displayed with 2 standard 16:9 screens beside it but when a movie starts noone can watch the standard 16:9 as they just look so wrong next to the 21:9.

On the price front - perversely whilst it's damn expensive - it's actually excellent value in Ireland when compared to the UK pricing - most places in the UK sell it at between £3999 and £4500 - in Ireland it sells at €3999.99 and that includes a 5 year warranty - and if you talk nicely to Ash he will give you your Boardie Philips Shop 10% Boardie discount which takes the price down to €3599.99 - almost painless ;).

Anyway Kingaaa - I hear that a Glass of Babysham over christmas accidently popping into the 50" Sammy is all it takes and we will have the Cineos ready to deliver in time for Christmas day!

Thanks again and drop us a line if we can assist (or with the delivery address of course)

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.