Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog has constant 'sleep' in eyes?

Options
  • 10-12-2009 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭

Hey all, have a female border collie cross, about 3 and half years old. In the last 3 weeks or so, I've noticed she seems to have an increasingly high production of 'sleep' at the edge of one eye. Its a gummy yellow like substance and I've kept thinking it would go away but it has not. Its come and gone in her other eye and appears quite minor but I wouldn't like to run risk of injuring her. I've noticed the eye is a little bit red today so sounds to be like the canine version of conjunctivitis maybe? Suggestions as to what I should do? I'm reluctant to bring her to vet if not required as money is tight but if its needed then willing to. What I do when I've gotten eye infection the odd time is to use distilled water and a cotton bud to sweep away from the edge of eye outwards along eyelashes (an old wives tale that actually works much of the time), is this something that could work with my pet or is it vet time? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭spiderdog

you can buy eye drops over the counter in your vets, using the cotton wool is a good idea as well to keep the area clean!!
    if you see no improvement though, bring her to the vet although the drops should do the trick!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

tommy21 wrote: »
    Hey all, have a female border collie cross, about 3 and half years old. In the last 3 weeks or so, I've noticed she seems to have an increasingly high production of 'sleep' at the edge of one eye. Its a gummy yellow like substance and I've kept thinking it would go away but it has not. Its come and gone in her other eye and appears quite minor but I wouldn't like to run risk of injuring her. I've noticed the eye is a little bit red today so sounds to be like the canine version of conjunctivitis maybe? Suggestions as to what I should do? I'm reluctant to bring her to vet if not required as money is tight but if its needed then willing to. What I do when I've gotten eye infection the odd time is to use distilled water and a cotton bud to sweep away from the edge of eye outwards along eyelashes (an old wives tale that actually works much of the time), is this something that could work with my pet or is it vet time? Thanks

My dad used to use cold teabags wiped across a dogs eyes to clear up excessive sleep in their eyes but this was usually just a cold the dogs had. If it is conjunctivitis you will need to go to a vet as he will have to prescribe eye drops. There could also be a foreign body in the eye, dirt or maybe a grass seed, this will also need veterinary attention too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Be careful of cotton wool in the eye area, it can leave fibres behind. If doing any cleaning around the eye you'd be better off buying some fuzz-free gauze at the chemist, the sort they use for wound dressings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

2 of ours got conjunctivitis a couple of months ago and the vet prescribed a sort of gel to be applied to their eyes.

Alternatively you could try the tea-bags as suggested.

And make-up removal pads are ideal for going at a dogs eyes as they don't leave any fibres behind ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Our guy has conjunctivitis at the moment in one eye and is on drops. When we went to the vets they put orange dye in his eye to check the surface for damamge. It drained out the tear duct and went bright green - a few strange looks on the way home! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 RedHotChiliman

Same prob with my dog ........... drops clear it up. Vet suggested it was from the dog been inside a lot ....... dry air etc. doesnt happen in the summer when i have the dog outside , so makes sence to me. You can buy "dry eye wipes" .... ive seen them in pet stores or the likes of atlantic homecare .

Advertisement