Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes to 3rd level fees in Budget 2010

Options
  • 10-12-2009 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭

I've had a look through the budget myself but haven't found any reference to 3rd level registration fees/3rd level funding etc. Is anyone aware if changes have been made to this?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,676 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

No, the Greens put an end to the tuition fees debate - for now at least. They are unlikely to come in the lifetime of the current government. Anyone currently in third level should be in the clear.

I assume any registration fee increase is up to O'Keeffe (although he was trying to pass the buck to the HEA a while ago) - he could announce it anytime.

The grant is being reduced by 5 percent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 siobhancoyle

Is there any truth in the rumour going around that if you are on BTEA or another social welfare payment you will not get a grant or your fees paid???

Ive heard that BTEA people wont get grant from january 2010.... theres no way I could do college without it...basically it means the grant/fees paid for those on social welfare is being scrapped if Im understanding it properly?

Does anyone know what the story is?:mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,676 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, he removed the automatic entitlement to both. However, afaik it only applies to new grant holders from next year. So if you are currently in receipt of both, you should continue to get both. But even in the case of new grant holders the government will still pay the registration fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Note that it's the automatic entitlement that's removed. I presume that if you qualify under the normal regulations you'd still get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

Guys,

I've just been talking to someone from RTE about doing a piece on Liveline later on today re: the unfair decision to cut the Maintenance Grant for BTEA holders.

If you'd like to take part in this discussion later on then please either e-mail to:

Joe@rte.ie

Or phone: 1850 715 815

The more we can do to raise awareness and highlight this issue the better!

• Advertisement
Advertisement