Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Split Charge Diode

• 10-12-2009 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Is there anywhere in Dublin/Meath that would sell (cheap) split charge diodes?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Only places I'm familiar with is Maynooth Motorhomes or Charles Camping in Blessington. Don't know if they're cheap though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 joncollier

Are you sure you want a diode? and not a relay? If its a relay for split charging a 40amp automotive one will do. Try Maplin

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

Pretty sure it's a diode, more relyable. it's charging a 190Ah battery

stapeler wrote: »
    Only places I'm familiar with is Maynooth Motorhomes or Charles Camping in Blessington. Don't know if they're cheap though.

Thanks, I'll give Maynooth a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

A Heavy duty relay is more reliable . I use them all the time , for years .

• Advertisement

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    A Heavy duty relay is more reliable . I use them all the time , for years .

So just take a feed in from the altenator, out to the battery, what signal do I use to trigger the relay?

Hi, the small wire from the alternator is called the "D+" this can be used as the switching feed to the relay, other connections can come from the vehicle battery. Maybe you should google split charge relay wiring for a diagram.

joncollier wrote: »
    Hi, the small wire from the alternator is called the "D+" this can be used as the switching feed to the relay, other connections can come from the vehicle battery. Maybe you should google split charge relay wiring for a diagram.

Great, thanks for that! Bring on the christmas holidays and the chance to instal the sysetm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 pandos

Why a diode? a relay is, as far as I know the normal way in a camper.

Diodes cause a voltage loss and whilst I have one on my boat, it is used in a circuit where you have the possibility of starting the engine from the domestic battery bank.

In any case you would get one from motor factors or marine outlets but expect to pay money for one either way.

I intend to fit two automotive relays with fuses, adjacent to the engine battery, one wired to the fridge and one wired to charge the batteries, I did this in my previous camper and it worked fine for years.

We had 200 amps in the domestic bank but the critical issue is how much the alternator will actually push out and how much charge the batteries will actually pull in.

Fuse needs to be rated to protect the wire you actually use.

I've no real preferance as to what system I use, I just figured since a diode system would be more modern than a relay system it would be better, then again the relay system is less of a dark arts plus the diode needs .7 of an amp before it breaks down?! I think....

• Advertisement

An automotive relay is about €5 or less and will do the job perfectly, I use them in all of my conversions.

Advertisement