Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer 2010 - Working in Greece

• 10-12-2009 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    New to this whole travel and working thing but me and a couple of friends were thinking of heading to Greece to see if we could get a job for the summer and need some advice! I 've found a website that organizes everything apart from the flight
    http://www.globalchoices.co.uk/work-programme-260.php
    Is it better to go for a set up like this one or is it better to just go over and wing it? If anybody has advice about working out there or have used global choices before please reply

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 c19

Hey, yeah im th same, any information would help too!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bonnie1810

Hey c19,
    Im just after emailing them asking if they offered any help if the employer doesnt pay and a couple more questions about registering for social security and that. They didnt seem to know anything about the IKA (social security) but did say that if the work was not what was in the contract that they would find us another job which sounds handy enough.
    Heres where i got the stufF about the IKA
    http://www.in2greece.com/english/factstrivia/facts/working.htm

Thanks Bonnie1810!
    Can't believe theres not more help and interest for this, have you paid up and all?? Im gonna make the deposit this week...Do you reckon global choices are good?

Do you know wheather the 500-800 salary is monthly?
    What happens in case of emergency you have to leave, do you lose job etc?
    Do you know the whats the story with accomadation exactly? as in would it be better keepin job but stayin in hostel or something?
    Hostels in greece are usually only a few euro a night...

Sorry for all the questions but they wont mail me back until I pay, all theyve said so far is that theres jobs for male students...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Sounds very dodgy to me - paying out a third of your wages for your entire 'working holiday' just to get a casual job. I've lived in Greece for the last year and a half and €500 would be the upper end of the salary scale for these jobs with food and accomodation thrown in. The 800 figure is likely to be the exception and I suspect inclusive of tips.

90% of this type of work will be 7 days a week during the summer. That's the norm. You'll be very lucky to get one day off per week.

IKA is very expensive. Employers will be reluctant to pay if for casual workers.

Better off booking a ticket for the start of the season and finding casual work in a bar or restaurant when you get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Tazz T

c19 wrote: »

Do you know wheather the 500-800 salary is monthly?

Definitely monthly.
    c19 wrote: »
    Sorry for all the questions but they wont mail me back until I pay

That would set alarm bells ringing for me.

• Advertisement

Cheers Tazz T,
    So you think 2 week package holiday for start of June would be better idea (try get work then and there, worst case scenario just come back to Ireland after two weeks if cant find suitable work and/or accomadation)? Where would you recommend (island/town)? I was thinking crete would be the best option.

Any info on your expieriences would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bonnie1810

Hey,
    Was thinking the global choices place sounds a bit dodge!! thanks!

Advertisement