Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

engineering dregree but want to get into secondary teaching

• 10-12-2009 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

i've just completed a 3 year coarse in electro-mechanical engineering but my interest is in teaching secondary level mathematics.. im wondering can i use my degree to get into teaching maths and whats the quickist way to do this part-time?? :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭Eoin D

staffy69 wrote: »
    i've just completed a 3 year coarse in electro-mechanical engineering but my interest is in teaching secondary level mathematics.. im wondering can i use my degree to get into teaching maths and whats the quickist way to do this part-time?? :rolleyes:

I'm no expert in this matter but it's my understanding that you need a H.dip in order to teach. I also qualified in Engineering and briefly considered teaching maths but decided against it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

... what, you saw the budget and thought, ah, yeah, I'd like to be where all those paycuts are?! ;)

Check Teaching Council website to see if your specific degree contained enough maths to count for teaching purposes.

Re: Grad Dip, it's one-year full-time (including teaching practice) OR if you're already teaching you could go for something like the part-time one at DCU (don't know if other places offer that) - I'm not sure if you can do it part-time unless you're already in an educational setting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Moved from Postgrads.

The teachers here will be able to give you a feel for what it really is like out there at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭niall3r

Just out of curiosity where did you go that you could get a three year degree in engineering? I have friends who graduated from all the uni's and most of the IT's and it was four years across the board, or so I thought. . . damn my omniscience is acting up :)

check the below website to see if your degree is recognised. If it is then apply for the PGDE. You want to do it part time: then DCU is the place for you in that its part time over two years instead of full time for one.

http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/_fileupload/TC_RegCtee/Autoquals_Updated_9thOctober2009_55076717.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

I'd just like to warn you that I have a 4 year degree in engineering, and my degree is on the teaching council's list. They let me do the dip, but then sent me a letter a few months after finishing saying that my degree wasn't eligible after all.

Be dog wide.

• Advertisement
Advertisement