Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK issues new guidance on labelling of food from illegal Israeli settlements

Options
  • 10-12-2009 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Up until now one could not tell whether Olives from the West Bank came from Palistinian or Illegal Israeli settlements. They would be simply be labled "Product of the West Bank".

Now the the British government has called on all supermarkets to inform customers clearly when they are buying food which side produced it in the occupied West Bank.

This is a welcome move and should be also carried out in Ireland and across the EU.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/dec/10/guidance-labelling-food-israeli-settlements

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Rondolfus

Up until now one could not tell whether Olives from the West Bank came from Palistinian or Illegal Israeli settlements. They would be simply be labled "Product of the West Bank".

Now the the British government has called on all supermarkets to inform customers clearly when they are buying food which side produced it in the occupied West Bank.

This is a welcome move and should be also carried out in Ireland and across the EU.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/dec/10/guidance-labelling-food-israeli-settlements

Yea its a good move. I spent a bit of time in the West Bank and had my fair share of ecounters with settlers. Without a doubt the most unpleasant bunch of people/criminals I have ever come across in my life.

Unfortunately Israel often labels wine etc produced in such settlemts as "products of Israel." I can see them doing this more in response to this decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Proper order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Rondolfus wrote: »
    Yea its a good move. I spent a bit of time in the West Bank and had my fair share of ecounters with settlers. Without a doubt the most unpleasant bunch of people/criminals I have ever come across in my life.

Unfortunately Israel often labels wine etc produced in such settlemts as "products of Israel." I can see them doing this more in response to this decision.
    I spent 6 weeks there in the 80ies, pre wall and it was not good back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Good idea. Don't see the CT though.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Rondolfus wrote: »
    The Palestinians?

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    The Palestinians?

You think an illegally occupied people should just sit back and watch their land stolen? There isn't parity here. The Settler movement is as valid as the concept behind "Lebensraum".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I for one won't be buying Palestinian produce while they indiscriminately shower rockets at Israel.

Good move by Britain.Now at least we can make judgments.

I for one won't be buying Palestinian produce while they indiscriminately shower rockets at Israel.

....but the 40 year occupation and colonisation bothers you not a jot.

Nodin wrote: »
    You think an illegally occupied people should just sit back and watch their land stolen? There isn't parity here. The Settler movement is as valid as the concept behind "Lebensraum".
    Excuse me for not recognizing the term "Settler" and mistaking the User's comment to be directed at Palestinians, which is why I asked him to clarify.

You dont need to jump down my throat about it.
    ....but the 40 year occupation and colonisation bothers you not a jot.
    Theres somebody parking on your lawn; and then theres you shooting their dog in the backseat for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭aurelius79

Theres somebody parking on your lawn; and then theres you shooting their dog in the backseat for it.

There's somebody parking on your lawn, blowing up your house, shooting your kids through the window; and then there's you shooting their dog on the backseat for it.

Fixed it for ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

A long over due move this. Good to see some movement on this finally. The rest of the world needs to follow suit, so that the choice is left up to the consumer on whether they want to support colonialism or not.

aurelius79 wrote: »
    There's somebody parking on your lawn, blowing up your house, shooting your kids through the window; and then there's you shooting their dog on the backseat for it.

Fixed it for ya.
    Thats still Two wrongs and No Rights. The Palestinians can hardly play the victim if they are going to continue to do silly things like launch missile attacks at Israel.

Dont shoot the dog; call the cops. Shooting the dog then calling the cop isnt going to earn you that much sympathy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Thats still Two wrongs and No Rights. The Palestinians can hardly play the victim if they are going to continue to do silly things like launch missile attacks at Israel.

As a matter of interest when is the last time rockets were sent from the west bank into Isreal? I know this happens in Gaza but to me the West Bank have been largely peaceful. There hasnt been an incident of a sucide bomber in ages yet we are still left in the status qoe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

To me there can be only 2 solutions.

Either Israel gives ALL Palestinians Israeli citizenship and associated rights of religion and politics. This will then create an equal greater Israel that combines todays West bank, Gaza strip and Israel. (NOT GOING TO HAPPEN)
    Or the two state solution with east Jerusalem as the capital of Palestine. (Will happen once Israel stop these ****ing petty land grabs)

Peace is there for the taking for both sides but both sides especially the Israeli side would rather the status Que continue indefinitely until most of the west bank is settled. They have most to gain from the current impass so why change it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

jank wrote: »
    Peace is there for the taking for both sides
    It has been 'there' since 1948.

Good move by Britain.Now at least we can make judgments.

Thats a very simplistic view to take and is one that is all too common with casual obervers of the conflict. If you knew what Palestinians are subjected to on a daily basis maybe you'd be less quick to judge the actions of SOME.

Since 2001 apporox 13 people have been killed by rockets fired into Israel. In that same period over 6000 Palestinians have been killed. Obviously these figures don't tell the full story, however, it puts into perspective the "rocket situation" which has been used by both the American and Israeli media to justify their campaign against the Palestinians. FYI far more innocent Palestinians have been killed by Israeli settlers ( who usually escape charges), than people killed by rockets. If your stance was truly based on opposing political violence, then you would surely boycott settler goods??

Dont shoot the dog; call the cops. Shooting the dog then calling the cop isnt going to earn you that much sympathy.

Occassionally I wonder.......

The political route -via the UN, the UNSC and sanctions - has been blocked by the US veto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Hear hear! Time to cripple these criminals economically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

dlofnep wrote: »
    Hear hear! Time to cripple these criminals economically.

Yes! Since olives are such a huge part of Israel's agricultural sector, which in itself is such a large part of its economy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agriculture_in_Israel

Hit em where it hurts, babay!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

Positive move alright. Ideally the EU would ban all imports from the settlements. I'm sure there's a legal basis for it somewhere.

• Advertisement

Occassionally I wonder.......

The political route -via the UN, the UNSC and sanctions - has been blocked by the US veto.
    Because the US still points to Hamas as a Terrorist organization.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

This has been the case since before Hamas even existed. Anyway, it's off topic.

America also stands by Israel, despite the fact that it has breached more UN resolutions than all the other member countries put together.

Looking deep into America's structure of alliances with states and organisations, its hardly consistant or moral for that matter. They oppose Hamas, not becuase its use of violence or terror, but because that violence is not perpetrated in the name of America's and Israel's interests.

How Israel can comment on "terrorism" is beyond me considering it is a state born out of terrorist activity by groups such as Irgun and the Stern gang. Their current political system is directly connected to such groups and still operates according to their extremist idealogy i.e if you are part of the "chosen people", you can bomb hotels , carry out assasinations, and kill civillians, you are not a terrorist but a "freedom figther." Where else could Ariel Sharon, a man dubbed the butcher of Beirut, be elected as a popular leader?? A man who openly wanted to forcibly remove Palestinians from the occupied territories??

Compared to groups like Irgun, Hamas look like boy scouts.

http://www.hrw.org/en/news/2009/08/06/gazaisrael-hamas-rocket-attacks-civilians-unlawful

Hmm.... have to say if I was under that kind of stress I wouldn't be too well disposed to Hamas either.

Firing at civilians!!!

How do they expect sympathy??

The US has supported Israel unilaterally since the early 1970's. Hamas was only founded in 1987.
    Firing at civilians!!!

How do they expect sympathy?? .

Comedy hour again?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

http://www.hrw.org/en/news/2009/08/06/gazaisrael-hamas-rocket-attacks-civilians-unlawful

Hmm.... have to say if I was under that kind of stress I wouldn't be too well disposed to Hamas either.

Firing at civilians!!!

How do they expect sympathy??

So, I take that you believe HRW are a accurate source? Presumably, then you also take there report on Israel to be accurate:

Rain of Fire
    Israel: End Arbitrary Detention of Rights Activist

The Israeli's are hardly innocent little flower children here, but in the end the actions of Hamas or Israel in the link you and I provided, are completely irrelevant to the topic at hand.

I take it by your posts you have a issue with correctly labeling products in this instance, as you have pretty much went on the attack right off the bat and are trying to avoid the issue now. Last I checked the "settlements" are illegal under international law, so I don't see the issue here, hell I am sure there could even be a case for banning them completely due to the direct violations of these "settlements" of international law.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7818122.stm

Unfortunately those who use innocent civilians as a cover for their action,as Hamas do,will always draw public opinion against those trying to stamp out terrorism.

This tactic fools a lot of misguided people but not this poster who will still eat Jaffa oranges with a clear conscience,whatever Britain's food labeling process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7818122.stm

Unfortunately those who use innocent civilians as a cover for their action,as Hamas do,will always draw public opinion against those trying to stamp out terrorism.

This tactic fools a lot of misguided people but not this poster who will still eat Jaffa oranges with a clear conscience,whatever Britain's food labeling process.

That article accuses both Israel and the Palastinians of using human shields:
    Israeli troops had forced Palestinian civilians to stay in their homes after taking them over as sniper positions or bases, it said quoting sources in Gaza.
    "This increases risk to families and means they are effectively being used as human shields," the group said.

Hamas fighters also put civilians in danger by firing from homes, it added.

I am well aware of that and do not condone either side doing that.

My point is that it is happening.

• Advertisement

I am well aware of that and do not condone either side doing that.

My point is that it is happening.

Your point was to condemn Palestinian violence, and announce that you'd boycott their goods. You seem somewhat indifferent to Israeli actions, and offer excuses for them.

Personally, I don't think your entirely serious, however that kind of 'obstreperous for the sake of it' humour tends to make these threads worse.

Advertisement