Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand Canal Theatre

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Park for free on North wall Quay and walk across the new bridge (the Calatrava on).
    Handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 HELM

Many thanks :) we got parked no problem very near by and had a great time. Ballet was very good and venue was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

I had no trouble with the on-street parking either. I hear the car park should be ready for June.

I enjoyed Swan Lake, very professional. I also love GCT as a venue so I've booked tickets for La Boheme in June. The theatre should look pretty stunning on a summer's evening. I'm delighted to see another venue available for us opera buffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭JonnyBlackrock

What did you think of the acoustics? Do you reckon it will be suitable for opera?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

I'm delighted to see that there is an excellent new music venue available, but my fear is that our chance of acquiring a world class concert hall has died. The NCH had grandiose plans to build a 2,050 seater hall along the lines of the superb Berlin Philharmonic Hall (http://www.nch.ie/Redevelopment.aspx) but as construction "is set to commence in 2010" it looks like a goner.

Yet another missed opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

Dirigent wrote: »
    The NCH had grandiose plans to build a 2,050 seater hall - it looks like a goner.
    Yet another missed opportunity.

Is that a fact? I thought it was going ahead. NCH getting very tired looking over the last few years. Upholstery really shot, and rare to get a seat that isnt collapsed.

What did you think of the acoustics? Do you reckon it will be suitable for opera?
    I thought the acoustics were good, and I'm really looking forward to opera there. As OP has said, the NCH is looking a bit tired, the GCT seems so comfortable in comparison to the Gaiety & NCH. Would you believe, a colleague told me, there are 7 bars in the GCT! I found the Gaiety a bit too hot and uncomfortable (maybe no air con) during the recent performance of Romeo & Juliette.

I'm really interested in trying out other European venues for opera, so I'll take notes from earlier postings. Thanks for all the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Heading to the Grand Canal for Ray Manzarek..ticket prices all seem to be the same.

For those who have been there, which are the best seats ( upper cirle, circle, stalls )

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭hayser

Would anyone know if there are any good restaurants and / or car parking nearby?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

hayser wrote: »
    Would anyone know if there are any good restaurants and / or car parking nearby?

Restaurants are such a personal taste I won't comment on! But parking is quite straightforward, usually. The GCT is near the south quays and lots of streets are available for (after 7 pm) free on street parking. But check carefully: just one wheel touching a double-yellow will guarantee you a clamp when you get back!

• Advertisement

Plenty of restaurants nearby at Grand Canal Square. The only thing is, a lot of them can get heavily booked before a show. We had a nice pizza in Il Fornayo, just across the bridge opposite the National College of Ireland on Mayor St.

I have parked my car a few times on Guild St. just at the bridge. But be careful though, the last time my car was broken into at Guild St.

So just the usual advice, park in a well lit area, or use a car park.

Enjoy the theatre!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

I went to see Chitty Chitty Bang Bang here tonight

Excellent Venue and Excellent Show

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

going to see hairspray there in november.. not quite familar with the history of the place but presume it was built as part of a regeneration of the docklands/canal area scheme thing?
    I do wonder if it will be viable in the long run though..

Advertisement