Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long does a Railway Order stand for?

• 10-12-2009 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

http://www.rpa.ie/en/news/Pages/MetroWestDesignUpdateNo2.aspx

RPA are still working on this even though it hasn't a hope in hell of being built any time in the next 5 years. Or quite possibly any time in the next 15. I think it's a good idea to have these things ready to go in case of an upturn as long as the railway order doesn't expire. Can they expire? Suppose I could look it up myself but I'm sure someone here could tell me faster.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

armada104 wrote: »

RPA are still working on this even though it hasn't a hope in hell of being built any time in the next 5 years. Or quite possibly any time in the next 15. I think it's a good idea to have these things ready to go in case of an upturn as long as the railway order doesn't expire. Can they expire? Suppose I could look it up myself but I'm sure someone here could tell me faster.

The Railway Order would only be applied for by the RPA (Or CIE for Dar Underground) when they are 100% certain they have the cash funds and will of the Department of Transport behind them. There will be a timescale on the Order but it will be laid down in it's terms when applied for. In the Dunboyne project, seven years was given. What you refer to is work that has to be done as it would be essential planning information for the order and it's hearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭armada104

Is it not possible though that the the railway order could be applied for in the knowledge that the project wouldn't necessarily go ahead immediately upon permission being granted?

If CIE or the RPA are instructed by the government to seek planning permission for something and given the funds to do so (e.g. paying staff members to show up at hearings) why wouldn't they? To all intents and purposes that's what's happening with Metro North at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Typically 5-10 years.

To a degree it makes sense to apply for all the railway orders in sequence to obtain a benefit from the critical mass of projects and not having to re-invent the design teams every few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Is it not possible though that the the railway order could be applied for in the knowledge that the project wouldn't necessarily go ahead immediately upon permission being granted?

If CIE or the RPA are instructed by the government to seek planning permission for something and given the funds to do so (e.g. paying staff members to show up at hearings) why wouldn't they? To all intents and purposes that's what's happening with Metro North at the moment.

In theory yes but in practice no as a massive amount of the capital cost of a project is the legal and planning costs. A Railway Order also provides for CPO of any sites/properties needed so capital costs to follow these through will be needed up front or prior to immediate construction. There is too much work put into an Order for it to be applied for on the off chance; bear in mind professional fees etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭armada104

Thanks for your response, Ham but it still doesn't match up with what's happening with Metro North at the moment. I assume that the railway order for the interconnector will be applied for at some stage next year and I've read about Dempsey commenting that the two projects should be brought to the stage where they're ready to start construction and that then a decision can be made.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Metro west is still along way off from being read to go to construction. In a couple of years time they might be ready to go in front of the Board

Advertisement