Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50cents per item for medical card users.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

MaceFace wrote: »
    That would require a lot of reform as the pharmacist would have to do the doctors job (check the baby and see if they look like they need Calpol).
    What is to stop me asking my relative without kids to go and get it for me for free?

Why would they. People with no medical card go to chemists everyday and buy stuff like this, that is way it is sold over the counter without prescription.

What stops you is that you register with the chemist the same you do with your GP, once that's done, there easy. i know of mostley mothers who go to the doc to ask for head lice treatment, Calpol, etc and don't necessarily bring the child with them, and they still get the prescription.

With a bit of though it could be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

For crying out loud, it's a couple of euro max. Try shelling out a couple of ton between GP fees and medication every time there's a bug in the house!

That said, it would have been far better to tackle the sourcing of medication in this country. When compared with prices abroad, it's painfully obvious that someone is making a lot of money from the provision of pharmaceuticals at exorbitant rates.

The health service, as we all know, is an absolute shambles, with frontline workers carrying the can. If said workers were to protest in defiance of the endemic ineptitude of the system rather than grumbling over wages and conditions, there are very few who would not understand or by sympathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

tudlytops wrote: »
    Wouldn't the goverment save more money if medical card holders didn't have to go to the doctor to get a prescription for non prescription items.

Say i want Calpol for my child, so instead of being able to go to my chemist who would have my medical card on record and just get the Calpol = Goverment pays for Calpol, i have to go to my doctor and get a prescription for it = goverment pays doctor and Calpol.

They would save big on doctors fees, but then that would upset the doctors can't have that

That is done very successfully in Scotland - one of our most progressive neighbours when it comes to entrusting pharmacists with more responsiblitites.

The Irish Pharmacy Union has been campaigning for a form of minor ailments scheme, which is what is detailed above, for a while but to date have had no joy

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

iPink wrote: »
    back to the topic at hand... 50c per item for med. card holders....

I think it's a good idea to have to pay a nominal amount for prescriptions but I think a 'per item' cost may be a bit of a problem for some people

I see my Father for example, he has a heart condition and high blood pressure with it amongst other things... he could have anything from 15 to 20 items on any given prescription, it adds up to quite a lot

Also people who are on long-term illness... could be a lot for them to bear also...?

Long term illness are not effected by this new charge, long term illnesses are just having there prescriptions refilled on a by-weekly bases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭danman

Long term illness are not effected by this new charge, long term illnesses are just having there prescriptions refilled on a by-weekly bases.

As far as I know, there are only around 7 illnesses listed on the longterm illness scheme.

I've had a chronic illness for over 20 years. Chronic means there is no cure, yet it doesn't qualify as long term.

Those with a medical card should count themselves lucky. Over the past 12 months, my illness has cost me 1,200euro in prescriptions and over 1,200euro in hospital visits. This doesn't even include doctor appointments. That's just 1 year. multiply this by over 20 years past and Gods knows how many in the future.

50cent per item is very little to ask for. It's also been capped at 10euro per month, or 2.50euro per week. If someone can't afford that, they need to look at ow they are budgeting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

As far as i understand that's the situation.
    Now consider this.
    An ill person on low income needs their medication on a mon/tue.
    But they are broke.
    'What? You might say '50cents? Get real'
    Well suppose there's four or five items on it.
    'So what 2.50. No biggy.'
    No i have worked with and seen medical card (low income) holders completly broke on a mon/tue, or whatever.
    'So what, borrow it.'
    Not always possible.

So you have a potential situation where a person who needs medication can't access it until payday, with attendant risks therein.

I think the govt are walking themselves into a possible legal mindfield.

Thoughts?

Community Welfare Officer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

danman wrote: »

Those with a medical card should count themselves lucky. Over the past 12 months, my illness has cost me 1,200euro in prescriptions and over 1,200euro in hospital visits. This doesn't even include doctor appointments. That's just 1 year. multiply this by over 20 years past and Gods knows how many in the future.

Its a fair whack of money, but at the same time its probably nowhere near the actual cost. I`m on the DPS myself, and I looked up the actual cost some of the stuff I take, I would be paying 10k. Looking at both examples 50c is nothing to pay per item, and in many countrys you would get nothing.

Advertisement