Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin free update/OSM

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

mackerski wrote: »
    For WAAS, "On" is actually what you want. BTW, I don't know if the Zumo has the option to switch off the snap to road - Nuvis don't - but if not, switching off the map itself is an alternative.

On the matter of "Smart" logging - unfortunately it's not so smart for OSM purposes, but logging on foot should help things a little.
    Will do, however, logging on foot is not going to be possible, as it's 50-60 miles of road. However, it's Christmas, so driving slowly in the car shouldn't be a problem (though I might get some strange looks/Garda enquiries!). I'll give it a go anyway, and worst case, it's a wasted day, wasted petrol.

Good choice of ski destination - I was out there 2 weeks ago training our reps (I'm in the business). You'll find it's very well mapped on OSM, as I've surveyed it in some detail this year and last year. I've left some GPS devices for rep use in their resorts so they can capture more POIs for OSM - we're using OSM maps for our emailed welcome packs and as an optional layer on our site which, for now, has Google maps too (click on the "Ski" layer and pan about to see the ski area).
    Hi Mackerski, any recommendations on how to get the Söll piste map data onto a Garmin GPS? I DL'ed the map data from Skidea.com as an IMG file, and uploaded it to mapsource/Garmin using mapset, but the results are certainly not a patch on your site, or browsing the osmarender layer on the OSM site. I think the Skidea maps for Söll maybe quite out of date. Thanks!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

In searching around to finally get the Yahoo! images working in JOSM for me I also came across OpenStreetBugs. Basically lets people that maybe don't wan't to risk messing with the map directly themselves mark errors that they spot for others to then go in and fix in JOSM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Hi Mackerski, any recommendations on how to get the Söll piste map data onto a Garmin GPS? I DL'ed the map data from Skidea.com as an IMG file, and uploaded it to mapsource/Garmin using mapset, but the results are certainly not a patch on your site, or browsing the osmarender layer on the OSM site. I think the Skidea maps for Söll maybe quite out of date. Thanks!

Sorry for the delay responding - I've been trying to come up with a useful answer. The comprehensive answer is that the mkgmap tool can be used with custom styles to enable any feature to be rendered on the Garmin and with the appropriate TYP file (basically a style sheet) you could have your pistes rendered in a good colour.

But there's a learning curve on all that that's a bit steep. I'm downloading the skidea map now to see how out of date it is. If my recent edits add a lot of value I daresay they would be prepared to regenerate it.

OK, good news on this front - Skidea have added the Skiwelt area (and some adjoining areas) to their map set. What's mapped now corresponds to my latest edits, so you should have essentially full coverage in Söll village.

• Advertisement

OK, good news on this front - Skidea have added the Skiwelt area (and some adjoining areas) to their map set. What's mapped now corresponds to my latest edits, so you should have essentially full coverage in Söll village.
    Thanks mackerski. Couldn't get Skidea's image files to upload to mapsource, but managed to upload one directly to the Garmin. Can see the elevation profile and lifts, so hopefully everything is there (it's hard to make out the different features, but should be easier at a much higher level of zoom at the resort).

Most of the lifts and many of the pistes in the Ski-Welt are already on OSM, though the Söll nursery slope T-bar isn't one of them, so a tracklog from that would be very welcome.
    Here you go. Hope this helps. I'll upload all my tracklogs directly to OSM when I return, but I can't figure out which pistes are and aren't mapped.

Here you go. Hope this helps. I'll upload all my tracklogs directly to OSM when I return, but I can't figure out which pistes are and aren't mapped.

Yay! Now mapped. Well done, that man!

Edit: I don't suppose you could capture the name of the lift too, could you? It's a very useful orientation feature for the map since all lift stations display a name.

Edit: I don't suppose you could capture the name of the lift too, could you? It's a very useful orientation feature for the map since all lift stations display a name.
    I'll go one better:

C69BDC7CCFD24556B43BBEFB83F7CF35-500.jpg

I'll go one better:

C69BDC7CCFD24556B43BBEFB83F7CF35-500.jpg

Fantastic, reference number and everything. Now duly mapped.

If you get a chance, please waypoint and photograph mountain restaurants and other fun stuff, we want it all on the map.

Happy skiing!

• Advertisement

If you get a chance, please waypoint and photograph mountain restaurants and other fun stuff, we want it all on the map.
    Flew back this morning, so unfortunately only pictures of scenery!

Advertisement