Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Sort of Life do the Complainers Lead?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭DERICKOO

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Smoking a blunt more like..

NO HE'S FOR REAL JUST PISSED OFF.Like most of us that want to much and will not except the reality.
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I've had to begin shopping in Lidl/Aldi and buying tesco brand products.

I can't afford to change my car

I'll have to take on more work next year

I dont have the disposable income to do all the things i want to do anymore and quite frankly, i dont like it.

It must be horrific having to shop for properly priced food, horrendous to drive a car that's not new, disgraceful that you have to work a bit more & downright despicable that a few luxuries must go to the wayside.

I'm heartbroken for you. Truly. You have it hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭aurelius79

Mortgage relief, then go to the bank and tell them you wont be able to pay to try get a freeze on payments for a while. Cut back on what you can and pay off what you can. Extend the mortgage. Sell up and rent somewhere, even if you take a hit on negative equity.

There's lots of options. Sitting around moaning is the worst one.

A freeze on payments? Are you having a laugh? Let's say the banks are generous enough to do that, the interest on the mortgage is still ticking away and you have no idea when you'll have a steady income again. Extend the mortgage? Yeah, because more debt will solve your problem. Sell up? Sell what? Sell to who? The bank owns your house.

This is the kind of thing that gets to me.
    I was in college from 2001-2007 getting a degree in Biochemistry and PGCE (H.Dip equivalent) in education. I started working in September 2007 as a sub teacher and subbed for 2 years all around the country and went unpaid for my summer "holidays" which are effectively enforced unemployment if you're a sub teacher.

I was "lucky" enough to get a one year contract this year so have some security until aug 31st of 2010. the contract will not be renewed and there are NO permanent jobs out there. there is this HUGE misconception out there that every teacher has a permanent job when it's simply not the case.

On top of that, we are teaching in bigger classes, with less resources and with no promotion prospects as A and B posts cannot be applied for due to the moritroium.

My current gross salary is 44,500 and i'm going to lose 5.8% percent of that from Jan 1st after already taking 11.5% of cuts in the last year.
    my net salary.
    I'll probably clear 30,000 net this year out of that 44,500.
    last year it would have been an awful lot more.

at the moment, im down 225 euro a fortnight on my net wages from this time last year. that will turn to being down 300 euro a week from Jan 1st.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still have enough to get by and im lucky that i'm only 26 and dont have a mortgage, i'm lucky that i live in the west of ireland with rent of 250 a month (although i pay about 400 a month in petrol costs going to and from work), but 300 a fortnight is a substantial amount of money. that would have paid for my petrol or gone into savings for a deposit on a house sometime down the line.

How are these cuts going to affect me?
    as people have already outlined, I've had to begin shopping in Lidl/Aldi and buying tesco brand products. I can't afford to change my car (fairly modest 03 corrolla). I'll have to take on more work next year, i.e. correcting mock exams, supervising state exams and correcting state exams, (all subject to application and approval, and believe me, they will all be highly competitive from now on you can be sure) things i wouldnt have done before.

Basically, and forgive me if this sounds like i'm throwing my toys out of the pram, my quality of life has been dramatically altered. I dont have the disposable income to do all the things i want to do anymore and quite frankly, i dont like it.

My final point on this would be that if more and more cuts keep coming in future budgets and mini budgets, teachers, and other public sector workers will begin to leave their jobs and leave the country.
    No one enters teaching to be rich. I entered teaching because i love doing my job and because it used to be bring with it a comfortable salary where i could have a good work/life balance.
    that doesnt exist anymore.

at the end of the day, if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys. do you all really want talentless teachers in your classrooms in 5/10 years?

Aplogies if some of this was rambling or a bit off topic

I wish a lot more of the people moaning about the budget were as honest as you. Truly pathetic.

Oh and when you leave Ireland, where exactly are you going to go to get paid more?

aurelius79 wrote: »
    A freeze on payments? Are you having a laugh? Let's say the banks are generous enough to do that, the interest on the mortgage is still ticking away and you have no idea when you'll have a steady income again. Extend the mortgage? Yeah, because more debt will solve your problem. Sell up? Sell what? Sell to who? The bank owns your house.

Not only do they own your house - if you do sell it at a loss, they will own you until you pay off the debt.

• Advertisement

They're all valid options. You're facing difficulty at this point in your life and you're looking for a freeze/extension so even though the interest is still ticking away - you hope that you'll be in a better position financially soon to pay it.

What would you prescribe? For the bank to just forget about the mortgage? For the government to just pay it all off?

Not only do they own your house - if you do sell it at a loss, they will own you until you pay off the debt.

Can anyone say modern day indentured servitude?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Extending the mortgage to reduce your current monthly payments can make sense once you're responsible to negotiate a return to a shorter mortgage once your financial situation improves. It's non-ideal but since you can't wish away the debt you've signed up for already it's better than trying to flog a house in the current market.

They're all valid options. You're facing difficulty at this point in your life and you're looking for a freeze/extension so even though the interest is still ticking away - you hope that you'll be in a better position financially soon to pay it.

What would you prescribe? For the bank to just forget about the mortgage? For the government to just pay it all off?

The government just bought all the banks bad loans for billions right? Wouldn't this have included mortgages? Government buys the mortgages and the owner doesn't have to find a bedsit to rent. Government sits on the mortgage interest free while the owner pays "rent" (rent to own like social housing). Why wasn't this done?

nesf wrote: »
    Extending the mortgage to reduce your current monthly payments can make sense once you're responsible to negotiate a return to a shorter mortgage once your financial situation improves. It's non-ideal but since you can't wish away the debt you've signed up for already it's better than trying to flog a house in the current market.

That all depends on if the bank decides to give you an extension and not just take your house. What do you think the banks are doing?

• Advertisement

Can anyone say modern day indentured servitude?

I can say it, damn, I can even pronounce it perfectly, but I'm f*cked if I know what it means.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

These people I speak of were told time and time again how safe it was to borrow money because Ireland's economy was built on a solid foundation and would continue indefinitely.

Theres nothing safe about a 100% mortgage.
    This is the kind of thing that gets to me.
    I was in college from 2001-2007 getting a degree in Biochemistry and PGCE (H.Dip equivalent) in education. I started working in September 2007 as a sub teacher and subbed for 2 years all around the country and went unpaid for my summer "holidays" which are effectively enforced unemployment if you're a sub teacher.

I was "lucky" enough to get a one year contract this year so have some security until aug 31st of 2010. the contract will not be renewed and there are NO permanent jobs out there. there is this HUGE misconception out there that every teacher has a permanent job when it's simply not the case.

On top of that, we are teaching in bigger classes, with less resources and with no promotion prospects as A and B posts cannot be applied for due to the moritroium.

My current gross salary is 44,500 and i'm going to lose 5.8% percent of that from Jan 1st after already taking 11.5% of cuts in the last year.
    my net salary.
    I'll probably clear 30,000 net this year out of that 44,500.
    last year it would have been an awful lot more.

at the moment, im down 225 euro a fortnight on my net wages from this time last year. that will turn to being down 300 euro a week from Jan 1st.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still have enough to get by and im lucky that i'm only 26 and dont have a mortgage, i'm lucky that i live in the west of ireland with rent of 250 a month (although i pay about 400 a month in petrol costs going to and from work), but 300 a fortnight is a substantial amount of money. that would have paid for my petrol or gone into savings for a deposit on a house sometime down the line.

How are these cuts going to affect me?
    as people have already outlined, I've had to begin shopping in Lidl/Aldi and buying tesco brand products. I can't afford to change my car (fairly modest 03 corrolla). I'll have to take on more work next year, i.e. correcting mock exams, supervising state exams and correcting state exams, (all subject to application and approval, and believe me, they will all be highly competitive from now on you can be sure) things i wouldnt have done before.

Basically, and forgive me if this sounds like i'm throwing my toys out of the pram, my quality of life has been dramatically altered. I dont have the disposable income to do all the things i want to do anymore and quite frankly, i dont like it.

My final point on this would be that if more and more cuts keep coming in future budgets and mini budgets, teachers, and other public sector workers will begin to leave their jobs and leave the country.
    No one enters teaching to be rich. I entered teaching because i love doing my job and because it used to be bring with it a comfortable salary where i could have a good work/life balance.
    that doesnt exist anymore.

at the end of the day, if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys. do you all really want talentless teachers in your classrooms in 5/10 years?

Aplogies if some of this was rambling or a bit off topic

So your standard of living has dropped a little? So has everyone elses, get on with it.

The government just bought all the banks bad loans for billions right? Wouldn't this have included mortgages? Government buys the mortgages and the owner doesn't have to find a bedsit to rent. Government sits on the mortgage interest free while the owner pays "rent" (rent to own like social housing). Why wasn't this done?

Cool, well seeing as it's public taxes that will be covering this interest free mortgage, do we all get one? Sounds good to me!

That all depends on if the bank decides to give you an extension and not just take your house. What do you think the banks are doing?

not taking houses that are worth nothing and preferring to get the full amount of money they lent in the first place back?

I can say it, damn, I can even pronounce it perfectly, but I'm f*cked if I know what it means.

Indentured servitude was when a person in severe debt would essentially sell himself into slavery to pay off the debt. It was outlawed in the 19th century. It's exactly the same thing that's going on today in Ireland except employers aren't hiring (buying).

cson wrote: »

So your standard of living has dropped a little? So has everyone elses, get on with it.

You don't get it, do you.. these days, the poor b*stard has to shop in Lidl & buy non-branded products. That's nearly as bad as living in a poor country.

Cool, well seeing as it's public taxes that will be covering this interest free mortgage, do we all get one? Sounds good to me!

Sure, why not? It's called affordable social housing. I wonder how many empty houses there are in Ireland right now? I wonder how many Irish citizens are facing homelessness right now. Every single person in this country deserves a home. What's so difficult with providing one? Oh yeah, landlords would be f**ked if nobody paid rent right? Would make a change to landlords f**king everyone else.

You don't get it, do you.. these days, the poor b*stard has to shop in Lidl & buy non-branded products. That's nearly as bad as living in a poor country.

How will he ever survive without using Tesco brand beans instead of his beloved Bachelors? :p

Indentured servitude was when a person in severe debt would essentially sell himself into slavery to pay off the debt. It was outlawed in the 19th century. It's exactly the same thing that's going on today in Ireland except employers aren't hiring (buying).

Well, just as well that we seem to have progressed since those ancient times then. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

It must be horrific having to shop for properly priced food, horrendous to drive a car that's not new, disgraceful that you have to work a bit more & downright despicable that a few luxuries must go to the wayside.

I'm heartbroken for you. Truly. You have it hard.

I never said i had it hard.
    Im being very honest in a thread that asks how people are being affected by the cuts.

why didnt you quote all that section where i said i have a 03 corrolla, i dont want a new car, i want to upgrade to 05 diesel car so my daily commute of 90 miles round trip would be more economical.

I wish a lot more of the people moaning about the budget were as honest as you. Truly pathetic.

Oh and when you leave Ireland, where exactly are you going to go to get paid more?

How is it pathetic to be honest about how your standard of living has been affected?
    do you think i should apolgise for once having a job that was well paid?

as for your last question, the amount of money received isnt the issue, it;s how much bang you can get for your buck, and you can get a lot more bang for your buck in the UK for example as the cost of living is an AWFUL lot less.

• Advertisement

Liam, just ignore them. All they can do is mock those who took a beating in the last year or two. They have no concept of the reality for thousands of Irish citizens facing abject poverty and homelessness. The reality of yet another massive emmigration that will cripple this country even further.

How will he ever survive without using Tesco brand beans instead of his beloved Bachelors? :p

That depends upon how long the indefinite strike that Jack O'Connor threatened today actually last for.

Im being very honest in a thread that asks how people are being affected by the cuts.

why didnt you quote all that section where i said i have a 03 corrolla, i dont want a new car, i want to upgrade to 05 diesel car so my daily commute of 90 miles round trip would be more economical.

How is it pathetic to be honest about how your standard of living has been affected?

as for your last question, the amount of money received isnt the issue, it;s how much bang you can get for your buck, and you can get a lot more bang for your buck in the UK for example as the cost of living is an AWFUL lot less.

When wages go down, so will prices.

Sure, why not? It's called affordable social housing. I wonder how many empty houses there are in Ireland right now? I wonder how many Irish citizens are facing homelessness right now. Every single person in this country deserves a home. What's so difficult with providing one? Oh yeah, landlords would be f**ked if nobody paid rent right? Would make a change to landlords f**king everyone else.

Right so the rationale employed above works like this;

John takes out 100% mortgage to buy €400,000 semi detached house in Sallins.

John comfortably pays his €1000 per month mortgage whilst lying at home watching his 50 inch plasma that has the Sky World package. He just drove home in his 06 BMW 3 Series from his job plastering in Ranelagh where he earns about the same every week as your average hospital consultant.

Johns watching as the economy goes down the ****ter taking his plastering job with it.

John can't pay his €1000 a month mortgage anymore. Oh ****.

John's house gets taken off him by the bank.

John rejoices when a new government policy designed by aurelius gives him his house back under the guise of social housing.

John can't believe his luck, he has his house back with no mortgage. Suckers.

Now that's an exaggerated example, but you can see where I'm going with it. It's a nonsensical idea what you've suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Folks, lets try to keep this on topic and lets quit with poking fun at other posters.

A 90 mile commute would make me seriously think about moving to where I work. Thats a big drain on your resources and you'd be well advised to seriously consider moving.

No one is asking you to apologise. What they are asking you to do is to stop whinging about your personal circumstances when compared to others you have it good. And as I've said to countless people who wield the emigration stick; go and do it if you feel so strongly about it. If you think you can earn more or attain a better standard of living in the UK then go there.

Liam, just ignore them. All they can do is mock those who took a beating in the last year or two. They have no concept of the reality for thousands of Irish citizens facing abject poverty and homelessness. The reality of yet another massive emmigration that will cripple this country even further.

There's a big difference between a 26 year old on a €40k plus wage who has taken a modest pay cut, no mortgage to pay & no wife & kids to support, who is complaining about not having a newer car, having to shop economically & missing the odd luxury as compared to those facing poverty & homelesness.

There is a BIG difference.

A 90 mile commute would make me seriously think about moving to where I work. Thats a big drain on your resources and you'd be well advised to seriously consider moving.

No one is asking you to apologise. What they are asking you to do is to stop whinging about your personal circumstances when compared to others you have it good. And as I've said to countless people who wield the emigration stick; go and do it if you feel so strongly about it. If you think you can earn more or attain a better standard of living in the UK then go there.

there's no point moving closer to work as i wont be there after June 4th and rent is very cheap here in my hometown.

as for your second point, I wouldn't say I'm wielding a stick, it's just an option that is available to me.
    I am actively looking for a job in the UK and am pretty certain i will have one secured by the end of January the way things are looking.

There's a big difference between a 26 year old on a €40k plus wage who has taken a modest pay cut, no mortgage to pay & no wife & kids to support, who is complaining about not having a newer car, having to shop economically & missing the odd luxury as compared to those facing poverty & homelesness.

There is a BIG difference.

when your net salary a week has gone down by 18.5%, that is NOT a modest cut.

• Advertisement

Are we talking about Ethiopia here or something? Abject poverty and homelessness...
    there's no point moving closer to work as i wont be there after June 4th and rent is very cheap here in my hometown.

as for your second point, I wouldn't say I'm wielding a stick, it's just an option that is available to me.
    I am actively looking for a job in the UK and am pretty certain i will have one secured by the end of January the way things are looking.

Figuratively wielding a stick ;)

It's a common modus operandi of people who complain about their standard of living and are of the opinion that the grass is greener elsewhere. Most only use it as a comparison and the threat is empty. You seem to want to do something about it, so I say good on you. I do mean that.

Advertisement