Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Sort of Life do the Complainers Lead?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

there's no point moving closer to work as i wont be there after June 4th and rent is very cheap here in my hometown.

as for your second point, I wouldn't say I'm wielding a stick, it's just an option that is available to me.
    I am actively looking for a job in the UK and am pretty certain i will have one secured by the end of January the way things are looking.

I've a guy working for me who is in a pretty similar situation to you. If he left for the UK, I'd be delighted as I've another 5 people who'd be glad to take up his position, for less wages, more enthusiam & a whole lot of less whinging. If I could sack him tomorrow, I would, but I can't.

What sort of life do the complainers live? In some cases, a better life than they think they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

cson wrote: »
    Figuratively wielding a stick ;)

I understood the sentiment. I just meant that i'm not threatening to go to be churlish, im saying i will go if it's a good option
    cson wrote: »
    You seem to want to do something about it, so I say good on you. I do mean that.

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I can't stand people on 55-60K+ complaining about being in poverty and suffering hardship when they are in the top fifth of earners in the country. The thing that gets me is that they don't even realise they are relatively well off compared to the bulk of the country. They are so out of touch they think they are the big victims in all of this, completely oblivious to the real hardship that exists.

If I could sack him tomorrow, I would, but I can't.

you;d sack someone because he complains about losing a significant amount of wages?
    nice boss you are.
    What sort of life do the complainers live? In some cases, a better life than they think they do.

and that's the crux of the issue.
    everyone has their own opinion on things, and as long as their opinions are not racist/libelous etc, people should NOT be berated for having them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭aurelius79

I've a guy working for me who is in a pretty similar situation to you. If he left for the UK, I'd be delighted as I've another 5 people who'd be glad to take up his position, for less wages, more enthusiam & a whole lot of less whinging. If I could sack him tomorrow, I would, but I can't.

This is exactly the attitude that has our country in this mess. Greedy employers that would rather exploit foreign workers that send most of their money back home. Where did all the money from the boom go? Poland and China. I'm not blaming the immigrants, I'm blaming these employers.

Starbelgrade, I'm glad you could be honest about your position. Now I can happily ignore anything you ever have to say.

Edit: By the way, with that admission of barefaced greed I wouldn't be surprised if you were a tax cheat to boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

why didnt you quote all that section where i said i have a 03 corrolla, i dont want a new car, i want to upgrade to 05 diesel car so my daily commute of 90 miles round trip would be more economical.

So only newer cars than 03 are economical, sell the corolla and buy an older diesel.

you;d sack someone because he complains about losing a significant amount of wages?
    nice boss you are.

In my business, positivity leads to creativity, which leads to bigger profits & bigger pay increases for staff. If you are losing wages, you work harder & get more rewards.

If you sit around whining, you are deadweight.

and that's the crux of the issue.
    everyone has their own opinion on things, and as long as their opinions are not racist/libelous etc, people should NOT be berated for having them

Everyone is entitled to an opinion & if you express them, everyone else is entitled to express their opinion on them or challenge them. I have not berated your opinions, but merely expressed my feelings on them. If you have a personal issue with that, then so be it - I cannot control your emotions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

aurelius79 wrote: »
    Where did all the money from the boom go? Poland and China. I'm not blaming the immigrants, I'm blaming these employers.

Another gem! Keep them coming :)
    Senna wrote: »
    So only newer cars than 03 are economical, sell the corolla and buy an older diesel.

Bangernomics ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

I watched most of the budget as it happened yesterday and to be quite honest, I didn't think its was the brutal budget that everyone was really fearing it would be.

Then I see all the newspapers this morning and I had to remind myself, those headlines are only there to sell papers, not everyone really thinks the budget was THAT bad.

Speaking as a young person, I think it was good that the SW was slashed so drastically for 20 - 21 year olds living at home. While there are a leechers out ( and they are the one's complaining! ) its the genuine cases that I'd feel for, which I'm sure there is a few.

My father is the only breadwinner in the house. My brother works with him but doesn't really contribute to the house from what I believe. He's self employed in TV aerial services and it can get REALLY slow at times and then there are times where he is trying to do too much work in too little time, especially coming up to Christmas, where they are working 7 days at present.

We're not wealthy, not at all but we are able to get by. I don't mind the idea of buy stuff from Lidl, Penny's, places like that either. Then again, I've always being a bit of a cheap skate and with rare exceptions, would not splash out on expensive items.

I also actually SAVE if I want something bad enough or have something coming up. The idea of taking loans to cover stuff, with the sole exception of covering possible English college expenses down the line just doesn't appeal to me.

And I know I'm going to get slack for this but I live off my parents. I haven't had a job of any kind in a few years ( I'm 23, I live at home and am in college ) and the choice of possible part time jobs around where I live is poor. I don't claim dole, though. I'm not keen on having to leech off the state either. I'm not that greedy.

Sure there are plenty of expensive things I want but know realistically I can't have and I am mostly OK that. What have right now, in terms of gizmo's is serving me well as of now don't need urgent upgrading.

I'm just glad I didn't buy into the whole ' buy now, pay later ' mentality that seemed to prevail in the so-called ' Tiger Years. ' If there is one thing I learned from my family, is that if you want something, you need to earn it honestly.

Just my two cents for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Buy now, pay for the next 50 years more like.

• Advertisement

This is exactly the attitude that has our country in this mess. Greedy employers that would rather exploit foreign workers that send most of their money back home. Where did all the money from the boom go? Poland and China. I'm not blaming the immigrants, I'm blaming these employers.

I own & run a design company. I do not exploit foreignn workers or indeed emmigrants. If they are worth the money, they are well paid. I only discriminate between good employees, creative employees & lazy ass creative employees who disrupt the creative process.
    Starbelgrade, I'm glad you could be honest about your position. Now I can happily ignore anything you ever have to say.

Edit: By the way, with that admission of barefaced greed I wouldn't be surprised if you were a tax cheat to boot.

Ignore me if you so will to choose, but please note that not only do I pay my own taxes, but also taxes & PRSI for my employees & service charges to the local council, and on top of that I use the goods & services of local, national & international goods & service providers to carry out my daily business.

My business creates money, employment & taxes. Greedy employer? Tax cheat? So what do you do...

Greed? Thats business, employers aren't there to keep staff happy, they are there to make money (for themselves, the economy and the goverment) and creating employment is a by product.

Tax cheat:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

That all depends on if the bank decides to give you an extension and not just take your house. What do you think the banks are doing?

Banks won't take your house unless they genuinely believe you won't be able to get decently paid work again in the medium term (i.e. next decade). Right now repossessing homes is pointless, who'd want to try and sell a house in the present market? They're not stupid, they'll make more money by helping you through the rough times and getting the mortgage paid back in full eventually with all the other banking services you'll route through them over the time period than by screwing you over now.

nesf wrote: »
    Banks won't take your house unless they genuinely believe you won't be able to get decently paid work again in the medium term (i.e. next decade). Right now repossessing homes is pointless, who'd want to try and sell a house in the present market? They're not stupid, they'll make more money by helping you through the rough times and getting the mortgage paid back in full eventually with all the other banking services you'll route through them over the time period than by screwing you over now.

That could all change if the amount of defaulter continue to rise, there is a point where banks wont be able to keep rolling over interest repayments.
    Better to get 100k now on a 400k loan especially seen the individual can be perused for the outstanding balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Senna wrote: »
    That could all change if the amount of defaulter continue to rise, there is a point where banks wont be able to keep rolling over interest repayments.
    Better to get 100k now on a 400k loan especially seen the individual can be perused for the outstanding balance.

Yes and no, since so long as the loan is on the books it counts as an asset of 400K (kinda). If the bank can generally it'll try and negotiate a lower repayment option with a client before writing off the loan.

If you default a loan to the point of going to court, then prison, is the loan then written off against the jail sentence?

If you default a loan to the point of going to court, then prison, is the loan then written off against the jail sentence?

With our pre-historic bankruptcy laws, probably not.

nesf wrote: »
    Yes and no, since so long as the loan is on the books it counts as an asset of 400K (kinda). If the bank can generally it'll try and negotiate a lower repayment option with a client before writing off the loan.

I agree if the person is making any form of regular payment, then the bank will not pursue in the current housing market, but if no payment is being made, banks will have to start repossessions. The only luxury the person with a PPR will have is the banks will pursue investment debt before homes, providing some delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 slackerdude

Interesting thread. If the Union Leaders are to have any credibility in terms of addressing the economic crisis, instead of moaning about cuts to all their members they should be cutting away the dead weight that exists in the public service, much of which is very well paid but oh no unions represent everyone the lazy as well as the productive. What the public service needs is a Michael O'Leary type who will not stand for any nonsense and will create a lean efficient machine instead of the costly underperforming service we have. If this had been done during the Celtic Tiger we could have avoided much of the hardship imposed by the budget. Happily many public servants retired early to avoid the budget axe and we have to hope that a good number of these were of the lazy underperforming type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

44,500 a month is your gross income, AFTER an 11.5% paycut? Did I read that wrong?and you've another 5.8% paycut on the way, and no mortgage, and you've got to change your life?
    What were you doing? I'm on 30,132 a year after taxes, pension and levies (jeez that's a depressing figure!) with a mortgage and a 5% paycut in Jan.I drive a '98 car that eats petrol. And I'm quite happy that I can survive after Christmas, with my paycut.I also spent from 2001 -2006 getting a good degree and I now work 50 hours a week min, no overtime and no pay rises.And I don't use my credit card, because quite frankly, I can't afford it.So my only "debt" is my mortgage..the irony..!
    What are people doing?????I just don't understand!

• Advertisement

dan_d wrote: »
    44,500 a month is your gross income, AFTER an 11.5% paycut? Did I read that wrong?and you've another 5.8% paycut on the way, and no mortgage, and you've got to change your life?

that's just wrong.
    the wage is 44.500 per annum not per month.
    who is on 44,500 a month?
    I wrote that my net salary for the year would be 30,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

Let me see...
    Nice house in an estate, paid about 400k for it, now worth 200k
    Paid €400,000 up-front?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Ciarán_Dublin

I'm curious as to what sort of life those people who have been on television complaining about the budget lead. Apparently life is going to be extremely difficult for them, having to shop for budget food, second hand clothes, not taking foreign holidays etc.

At the height of the good times I was earning a modest 30k working in retail while my other half was earning about the same working for a bank. By all accounts we had a nice lifestyle, taking a foreign holiday or two, going to restaurants now and again, treating ourselves to luxuries such as nice clothes, electronics etc. We looked at buying a house or apartment in Ireland but agreed that the prices were ludicrous so with the money we saved we bought an apartment in Poland as a long term investment. Our mortgage is modest and it makes sense for us as the other half is Polish.

For varying reasons my lady left the bank and after about 8 months or unemployment she got another job. It wasn't exactly what she wanted so she went part time and used the rest of the time to study. She wasn't earning as much money as she was in the bank and I had taken a paycut at work as has been the norm in the private sector. Despite this we have still managed to save a significant amount of money for a deposit on a home here and while not what it once was our lifestyle is still pretty good.

Granted we don't have children but, if my lady had stayed working in the bank (it was her decision to leave) we would still be enjoying a high quality of life. Children wouldn't be a problem, the mortgage would be covered had we bought something and foreign holidays wouldn't be a struggle.

Our wages were modest so I am assuming that these people I see complaining are earning at least what we were and in alot of cases probably alot more. So what kind of lifestyle are they living that cutbacks in the budget are supposedly going to wreak havoc on their lives virtually forcing them onto the breadline?

People like me maybe!

I earned 34000 in the public service this time last year. I've a degree and work in IT.

I've had a 65% drop in wages in 12 months, still got hit by the 5% in the budget, I earn 12,150 euro a year now. I have no job security, I work on pretty much 3 month contracts at a time, I've been placed on a part time contract so nothing is being paid into my pension, I'm out of contract over xmas so I don't get paid, I do most of my shopping in the 'going out of date' section in Dunnes. I haven't paid rent/bills in 6 weeks, I can't claim dole because I work 5 days a week.

When on 34000 I'd have no problem taking the hit, the pension levy didn't bother me, there were people on the dole who needed the money more then I did, I'd have had no problem taking the 5% hit either if it meant I was in a safe job and knew I had 30k at least coming in, but thats not how it is at all! Theres thousands of people earning little or nothing in the public service who got a wage deduction yesterday.

And for the record, I didn't strike last month either, but I will now.

And the hardest part is looking at the people earning 60 -200k a year, sitting behind there desks doing NOTHING! And these are the people who will never ever be let go from the public service. I worked with people who didn't know how to do their jobs and their 3year contracts were still honoured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr Kamikazi

People like me maybe!

I earned 34000 in the public service this time last year. I've a degree and work in IT.

I've had a 65% drop in wages in 12 months, still got hit by the 5% in the budget, I earn 12,150 euro a year now. I have no job security, I work on pretty much 3 month contracts at a time, I've been placed on a part time contract so nothing is being paid into my pension, I'm out of contract over xmas so I don't get paid, I do most of my shopping in the 'going out of date' section in Dunnes. I haven't paid rent/bills in 6 weeks, I can't claim dole because I work 5 days a week.

When on 34000 I'd have no problem taking the hit, the pension levy didn't bother me, there were people on the dole who needed the money more then I did, I'd have had no problem taking the 5% hit either if it meant I was in a safe job and knew I had 30k at least coming in, but thats not how it is at all! Theres thousands of people earning little or nothing in the public service who got a wage deduction yesterday.

And the hardest part is looking at the people earning 60 -200k a year, sitting behind there desks doing NOTHING! And these are the people who will never ever be let go from the public service. I worked with people who didn't know how to do their jobs and their 3year contracts were still honoured.

Now that does suck. it's the worst of both worlds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

SkepticOne wrote: »
    I can't stand people on 55-60K+ complaining about being in poverty and suffering hardship when they are in the top fifth of earners in the country. The thing that gets me is that they don't even realise they are relatively well off compared to the bulk of the country. They are so out of touch they think they are the big victims in all of this, completely oblivious to the real hardship that exists.
    You obviously do not have many commitments. If you were paying out for a mortgage, running a car or two, children in college and now a holiday home tax as well, you would see that 60K does not go far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

People like me maybe!

I would have thought a contractor for the PS wouldnt be in the union. If your not I can`t forsee your contract being renewed. I sympathise, but it sounds like your in the same boat as many private sector contractors.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

recedite wrote: »
    You obviously do not have many commitments. If you were paying out for a mortgage, running a car or two, children in college and now a holiday home tax as well, you would see that 60K does not go far.
    Padraig, is that you???

Advertisement