Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP ADVICE ON MAINS SMOKE DETECTORS WITH BATTERY BACK UP NEEDED URGENTLY!!!!

Options
  • 10-12-2009 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

OHHHH MYYYYY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MY HOME IS A DEATH TRAP!!!!!!!!!!!
    Just read a post on "Tech/Security" about a smoke detector beeping constantly! Got me off my arse to test our two alarms following problems earlier this year that I thought the land lord had fixed.
    Neither alarm worked when I tested them! Both looked like they were attached but they were not.
    Reattached the first one, when I reattached the second one the first started alarming (this was our problem earlier this year.)
    Have had to leave the second one unattached to stop it!! The first is now intermittently beeping!!!!!

Had replaced both batteries earlier in the year so know they are working fine.

Am so over this over priced town house and my cowboy of a landlord!

Reported multiple times that we have waterstains on walls and ceilling indicating water leaks from the bathroom, he has ignored our concern for HIS property!!! Am now wondering if the leaking water is getting into the alarm and shorting it!!!!!!!!!!eek.gifmad.giffrown.gif

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

The intermittant beeping comes when the battery is running down , you may have changed the batteries but new batteries can be in the shop a long time & sometimes don't last in the smoke detectors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

As above

But sometimes with the interlink the smokies are actually telling you one of them is faulty. Excessive dust can be a cause of this for example if you were sanding and did not cover the alarm with a dust cover.

But most likely I would say it is indeed the baterries though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

Try new batteries first.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Hi All,Thanks for the advice. Will try changing batteries again. Was told by someone to switch off the power supply when doing this. Should there be a specific fuse in the fuse box for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

make sure you get the duracell ultra anyhow .some wont work properly with other batts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

kiwipower wrote: »
    Hi All,Thanks for the advice. Will try changing batteries again. Was told by someone to switch off the power supply when doing this. Should there be a specific fuse in the fuse box for this?

If these are mains and battery powered alarms, then yes, disconnecting the mains would be advisable.
    Otherwise, if they are the standard EI-home units, they aren't likely to have mains power.
    They are unlikely to be on a separate fuse as they are low-current devices.
    You may find that they are on a wall-socket (ring) or alarm fuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

Usually when you hinge them down, it disconnects the mains plug, iirc.

No harm to knock them off first though, as stated :)

Advertisement