Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mildew solution - what steps?

Options
  • 10-12-2009 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

I have a slight mildew problem in a room which has been getting worse recently. Last night I could get a slight smell of damp in the room. I reckon its because of lack of ventilation in there. I have just bought a dehumidifier so what now?

Do I run the dehumidifier and take all moisture out of the room and then use a bleach solution to rub down the walls where the mildew was?
    Or do I rub away all the mildew before I run the dehumidifier?
    Or does it make any difference!

Should I have the heating on in the room while the dehumidifier is going?

Once I run it for a day (or however long it takes) how often do I need to run it after?

Apologies for the amount of questions!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

Clean the walls first, I would use an antibacterial spray instead of bleach just for the smell. Run the dehumidifier then. we run our dehumidifier every day during the daytime, when we are out of the house as its a little noisy, turned about half way up ( the sensor will turn it off when the humidity falls). Be sure to empty it in the evenings and don't dry any clothes in the house. Make sure if you have an adjustable cooker hood that it is extracting to the outside ( and use it when cooking!) and that you have a working extractor fan in the bathroom.

Advertisement