Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Western Rail Corridor (all disused sections)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

eastwest wrote: »
    That's for sure. I've rarely seen such anger with politicians as I saw in Tuam yesterday. I talked to several people and they were all very aware of the way that they were shafted in the Council meeting on Monday.
    It will be a brave anti-greenway politician who will show their face in the town in the near future.

You wait until the people of Tuam find out that the cllrs who voted against the greenway and in favour of the further can kicking delay of the Canney Report, each received an email today from Claremorris Chamber of Commerce (yes Claremorris Chamber in Mayo) congratulating them on what they had done. Maybe the TD for Tuam is actually in cognito a TD for Claremorris he seems to be representing the view of Claremorris Chamber of Commerce ahead of Tuam Chamber of Commerce and businesses which all openly support the greenway - here is an email that got forwarded to me today sent by Claremorris Chamber of commerce, it was sent to Cllr Jimmy Mclearn, I ask you what is going on in the west whatever happened to parish pump politics! Why are Galway cllrs doing more for Claremorris than for East Galway!
    Date: 28 September 2017 at 14:33:48 GMT+3
    To: <jmcclearn@cllr.galwaycoco.ie>
    Subject: Thank you for protecting the WRC
    Dear Councillor McClearn,

On behalf of Claremorris Chamber of Commerce, we welcome the decision of the elected members of Galway County Council to protect and preserve the Western Rail Corridor for development as critical infrastructure.

The outcome of this vote is pivotal to the future development of the west. Were the WRC to be ripped up for a greenway, it would be a most serious setback for the region at a time when an Atlantic Economic Corridor is being planned.

To develop the western region to its full potential, we need a spine of top quality infrastructure - including road, rail, broadband and electricity. The vote at Galway County Council yesterday is a vital part of ensuring that and no doubt, you will be aware that Mayo County Council is strongly of the same view.

You may also be aware that Claremorris has developed a 5 km greenway as a result of a strong community effort and with support from Mayo County Council. In fact, our town’s greenway is about to get a 3 km extension. Most important of all, it goes nowhere near the town’s railway which proves that a greenway can be developed without tearing up transport infrastructure.

We would be delighted to share with all the people of Tuam and their elected representatives our experience in developing this greenway as we believe there is huge potential for Tuam to develop a similar kind of amenity without interfering with the railway.

Yours sincerely,

Management Committee,
    Claremorris Chamber of Commerce.

Some nice coverage of the press release put out by the Western Rail Trail campaign in Western media today,

https://www.oceanfm.ie/2017/09/28/the-proposed-extension-of-the-western-rail-corridor-is-unlikely-to-happen/

and

http://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2017/09/27/4146400-new-motorway-spells-end-of-western-rail-corridor-extension/

On the day the media focussed on the good news about the M17/18 extension it was good to see western media pick up on another aspect of the news story that the motorway was one more nail in the coffin of the WRC.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

westtip wrote: »
    You wait until the people of Tuam find out that the cllrs who voted against the greenway and in favour of the further can kicking delay of the Canney Report, each received an email today from Claremorris Chamber of Commerce (yes Claremorris Chamber in Mayo) congratulating them on what they had done. Maybe the TD for Tuam is actually in cognito a TD for Claremorris he seems to be representing the view of Claremorris Chamber of Commerce ahead of Tuam Chamber of Commerce and businesses which all openly support the greenway - here is an email that got forwarded to me today sent by Claremorris Chamber of commerce, it was sent to Cllr Jimmy Mclearn, I ask you what is going on in the west whatever happened to parish pump politics! Why are Galway cllrs doing more for Claremorris than for East Galway!
    That's unusual, to say the least. I'd say it won't go down very well in Tuam. People from Tuam elected councillors who then went on to support an organisation in another county, against the wishes of the people of Tuam!
    People are going to be really mad now.

That's unusual, to say the least. I'd say it won't go down very well in Tuam. People from Tuam elected councillors who then went on to support an organisation in another county, against the wishes of the people of Tuam!
    People are going to be really mad now.

The Claremorris TD might yet be removed from Tuam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Those that want the greenway in Kiltimagh won't take on the IRD who are pushing the velorail through, you should do to Kiltimagh and dig out some of the history, to find out why. I am not going to engage any further on this issue, I suggest you take a trip to Kiltimagh and ask a few people about the community activists you refer to, and BTW for your information Mayo coco recieved 300 submissions on the county plan asking for greenway not one asking for the velo rail which the "community activists" are pushing at the behest of West on Track.

Re the other comment, You can accuse me of whatever you want on the anonymity of boards, I don' give a fiddlers.

I live in Kiltimagh and have done all my life so dont suggest to me that i dont know what im talking about, i think i might just have wee bit more inkling of what goes on here. As to y other point i just dont understand why you and like minded parties don't establish a proper campaign on the ground. There probably is widespread support for it but there is no vehicle to articulate t or for people to channel their energies into it

The Claremorris TD might yet be removed from Tuam.

He's doing a good job on that himself, but he will still delay the greenway by another year with his antics.
    He won't stop.it though, there is a huge momentum in Tuam and Athenry for this facility.

I live in Kiltimagh and have done all my life so dont suggest to me that i dont know what im talking about, i think i might just have wee bit more inkling of what goes on here. As to y other point i just dont understand why you and like minded parties don't establish a proper campaign on the ground. There probably is widespread support for it but there is no vehicle to articulate t or for people to channel their energies into it

I don't live in Kilitimagh, as you well know, If you want to set up a group, and I am not sure where your views lie on this based on your last sentence then by all means set up a local group, in the meantime the views of KM are confined to the internet - and a rather extensive petition asking for a greenway sitting on the desks of all the Mayo cllrs. I personally cannot set up a KM group, for my own reasons, mainly time and energy and the fact I don't live in KM. Regarding your earlier comment re writing on social media, well that is an interesting view, and if anything I have learnt from this campaign that social media is a useful channel for individuals to express views and opinions that were previously confined to the fourth estate, which ordinary people had limited access too. With no wish to solely blow my own trumpet, but I first started writing on this subject in a simple post on boards.ie on the original thread, I think my first post may have been over ten years ago. I had no idea it was going to balloon into what it has. I kept writing, people read and listened and thought about it. I then moved onto facebook with the SMG page, which has become a funnel of thought about this idea. I live in Sligo and single handed campaigned for a greenway to Sligo county council - that one man campaign resulted in the first crack in the armour of West on Track with the idea of the greenway written into the county plan back in 2011 which met with a lot of West on Track oppostition. I kept campaiging single handed in social media, print media and the constant written word to councillors, TDs and Ministers who I have met and discussed this project with. My persistence led to some ordinary good folk who liked what I was writing coming to me and saying we would like to set up a local organisation to fight for this idea. That was how the Sligo Greenway Co-op was formed. Another group with similar thinking was emerging in Tuam, they too had been reading what I was writing on the internet and we met up and shared ideas, the Tuam Greenway Group was set up. I cannot be the spearhead of these local groups but they share a common goal. In Mayo, so far we don't have a formal pressure group, there are internet groups who support the idea of a greenway and these are influential. Now if you want a group in KM go and form one, I cannot do it for you and the good people I have so far spoken to in KM for one reason or another don't have the energy time or inclination to take on the battle that will be required with a county council that simply won't engage on this idea. However I can assure there is simmering support for the idea in Mayo.

I am rambling now. For which I apologise. I am merely a conduit of ideas, offering an intellectual thought process on the idea of a greenway on the closed railway, because I genuinely believe it will be of huge benefit to the areas it passes through. My aim is to influence others. I think so far, I have done a reasonable job at that, and by the way when I say influence others, I mean influence good ordinary people, Councillors, TDs, Ministers and the media. As mentioned, patting my own back, I think I have done a pretty good job at it along with others whose names I won't mention, but who have been a resolute standfast help to me without whom I would not have stuck at it.

If you want to set a group up in KM please do so, I would be more than happy to come and give you a presentation and some guidance and then say get on with it. But please don't give out to me about what is happening in every village and town along the route. I do what I do. Write and influence, It seems you read what I say so thank you for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

They are Gathering for the Greenway in Tuam on Saturday. Looking at their event stats I'd say they'll be hitting the 600's again and probably more. Businesses offering free refreshments! Two out of the three constituency TD'S will be speaking. Any chance Fr Ted & Dougal might make the trip down from Claremorris to try and spoil the party?

Muckyboots wrote: »
    They are Gathering for the Greenway in Tuam on Saturday. Looking at their event stats I'd say they'll be hitting the 600's again and probably more. Businesses offering free refreshments! Two out of the three constituency TD'S will be speaking. Any chance Fr Ted & Dougal might make the trip down from Claremorris to try and spoil the party?

Is the TD for Claremorris daring to show his face

• Advertisement

Is the TD for Claremorris daring to show his face
    Organising a counter rally the disused phone box. Wants them reinstated as well.

Organising a counter rally the disused phone box. Wants them reinstated as well.

Well if they have them up in Dublin, why not?

I hear it was a great meeting well done to all involved and hear there is a new political slogan on the streets of Tuam

ABC...Anyone but Canney!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I hear it was a great meeting well done to all involved and hear there is a new political slogan on the streets of Tuam

ABC...Anyone but Canney!

What makes a meeting a great meeting? I passed through Tuam around that time and thought it looked like a slack enough turn out.

What makes a meeting a great meeting? I passed through Tuam around that time and thought it looked like a slack enough turn out.

Good crowd for teatime on a Saturday, you couldn't get up or down that side of the square.
    Huge anger regarding Canney in particular, I notice they've taken the gloves off now. People are really sore about being shafted last Monday.

But you have so many opinions and so many questions, yet a Government Minister and an opposition front bench spokeperson speak in person on the matter and you "passed through". Doesn't quite add up, I'm afraid. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

But you have so many opinions and so many questions, yet a Government Minister and an opposition front bench spokeperson speak in person on the matter and you "passed through". Doesn't quite add up, I'm afraid. :confused:

I'd have liked to stay and listened but unfortunately I had other things to do and I was with somebody who has zero interest in the issue - I wasn't going to force them to stay.

Maybe it was a big crowd for what was expected. It probably wasn't a great time in fairness. I just expected it to be bigger but I'm definitely not an informed person on this. I'm more of a curious onlooker and come onto this thread to try be more informed. I know very very little of greenways or railways. I know Tuam well though. And of the crowd I saw, there were a lot of local faces.

I know Tuam well though. And of the crowd I saw, there were a lot of local faces.

Not hundreds bussed in then! And SF/WOT didn't bus in any disruptors from Claremorris!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I was in Tuam for the meeting and there was a strong, if not overwhelming, turnout, not bad at all for teatime on a Saturday evening.

There were a few speakers and the meeting was over in 30 minutes or so. Ciarán Cannon and Anne Rabbitte were both there and were very vocal in their support of the local campaigners. No sign of Seán Canney, surprise surprise, he was probably being entertained up the N17 in Claremorris by his WRC cohorts. Mind you, he would be ill-advised to ignore the depth of feeling in the town about this issue. The motorway opening this week had both strengthened Tuam as a possible transport/commuter hub, weakening the case for the train service to be restored but also highlighting that businesses in the town need the extra footfall a greenway would bring to throw a lifeline to the struggling local economy. It's even more frustrating when other parts of the country have seen the light and are exploiting the massive potential of greenways. It beggars belief that another local councillor (and hotel owner that basically went bust after the boom) could have voted against the feasibility study last Monday.

Anyway, Tuam people have their gander up and momentum is increasing rapidly. This is one issue that won't be swept under the carpet by the men in suits.

MayoForSam wrote: »
    I was in Tuam for the meeting and there was a strong, if not overwhelming, turnout, not bad at all for teatime on a Saturday evening.

There were a few speakers and the meeting was over in 30 minutes or so. Ciarán Cannon and Anne Rabbitte were both there and were very vocal in their support of the local campaigners. No sign of Seán Canney, surprise surprise, he was probably being entertained up the N17 in Claremorris by his WRC cohorts. Mind you, he would be ill-advised to ignore the depth of feeling in the town about this issue. The motorway opening this week had both strengthened Tuam as a possible transport/commuter hub, weakening the case for the train service to be restored but also highlighting that businesses in the town need the extra footfall a greenway would bring to throw a lifeline to the struggling local economy. It's even more frustrating when other parts of the country have seen the light and are exploiting the massive potential of greenways. It beggars belief that another local councillor (and hotel owner that basically went bust after the boom) could have voted against the feasibility study last Monday.

Anyway, Tuam people have their gander up and momentum is increasing rapidly. This is one issue that won't be swept under the carpet by the men in suits.
    I got a definite feeling that the people have been pushed too far, and they're stating to push back. Canney isn't stupid though, I'd say he'll drop his few cronies in Claremorris in favour of keeping his seat.
    If he doesn't, he's toast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I got a definite feeling that the people have been pushed too far, and they're stating to push back. Canney isn't stupid though, I'd say hello drop his few cronies in Claremorris in favour of keeping his seat.
    If he doesn't, he's toast.

Funny you should say that, but another onlooker there this evening was a certain Paddy McHugh, who people might remember was another independent TD elected for Tuam a few years back. Poor Paddy, he didn't do much for the town, good or bad, but he was promptly removed at the subsequent election. Seán Canney is on far shakier ground right now than Paddy McHugh ever was.

• Advertisement

FSeán Canney is on far shakier ground right now .

If this ABC cry Anyone But Canney starts getting into popular talk locally then there is a political slogan in the town that is going to stick, it will hurt him as it will start sinking into voters minds, once this starts happening he is on the backfoot explaining himself, that is when a politician starts suffering. It will be interesting to see how the local paper reports on this, this week, how they pick up on the Claremorris influence on the council and the fact that the local TD wants to do more for Claremorris than he does for Tuam. If this gets reported in the local paper it will do Canney untold damage, but he is a tough campaigner, don't underestimate him and it is still a while until the election, certain politicians have a knack of riding a storm.

FSeán Canney is on far shakier ground right now .

If this ABC cry Anyone But Canney starts getting into popular talk locally then there is a political slogan in the town that is going to stick, it will hurt him as it will start sinking into voters minds, once this starts happening he is on the backfoot explaining himself, that is when a politician starts suffering. It will be interesting to see how the local paper reports on this, this week, how they pick up on the Claremorris influence on the council and the fact that the local TD wants to do more for Claremorris than he does for Tuam. If this gets reported in the local paper it will do Canney untold damage, but he is a tough campaigner, don't underestimate him and it is still a while until the election, certain politicians have a knack of riding a storm.
    Listened to all the speakers on the Tuam Greenway Group FB page this morning in full. Would be very uncomfortable viewing for Sean Canney and he'd be over the moon to get a crowd like that at a political rally, but I also heard olive branches being offered by each of the speakers, all of which indicated that they would talk to him to seek progress. . You can safely bet your house that all three constituency "colleagues" will be talking to each other next week. It's how it goes. The real negotiations will go on in the Dail bar & lobby. Opportunity knocks.

Before writing him off, beware the old adage, "there's no such thing as bad publicity".

Canneys name being in the news constantly, albeit for all the wrong reasons, still gives him a massive advantage over any challenge.

Add to that his 50/50 ministerial position where he tooted his own horn many times about fixing flooding issues for Galway farmers

Combine the two and he looks very good for re-election.

To be honest, if you really want to know, you need to go place a bet in the local bookies. They won't be long telling you which way the wind is blowing for him

Listened to all the speakers on the Tuam Greenway Group FB page this morning in full. Would be very uncomfortable viewing for Sean Canney and he'd be over the moon to get a crowd like that at a political rally, but I also heard olive branches being offered by each of the speakers, all of which indicated that they would talk to him to seek progress. . You can safely bet your house that all three constituency "colleagues" will be talking to each other next week. It's how it goes. The real negotiations will go on in the Dail bar & lobby. Opportunity knocks.

He won't accept any olive branches I reckon. The smart side of him might, but he seems to be almost entirely controlled by West on track in Claremorris.

Before writing him off, beware the old adage, "there's no such thing as bad publicity".

Canneys name being in the news constantly, albeit for all the wrong reasons, still gives him a massive advantage over any challenge.

Add to that his 50/50 ministerial position where he tooted his own horn many times about fixing flooding issues for Galway farmers

Combine the two and he looks very good for re-election.

To be honest, if you really want to know, you need to go place a bet in the local bookies. They won't be long telling you which way the wind is blowing for him
    Canney can't get elected without getting a sizable share of the town vote. Overall he seems to have difficulty understanding the concept of density. Actually I think he understands it very well given his qualifications but rather misjudged the mood. He'll be there abouts at election time but would be kicking himself if 100 votes lost him the town. To put it into context that's just one extended town family.

Canney can't get elected without getting a sizable share of the town vote. Overall he seems to have difficulty understanding the concept of density. Actually I think he understands it very well given his qualifications but rather misjudged the mood. He'll be there abouts at election time but would be kicking himself if 100 votes lost him the town. To put it into context that's just one extended town family.

He's unpopular in Tuam now, but wait until next year's election. If there isn't firm movement on the greenway by then he'll be crucified.
    Remember that his opposition will be quick to point out that he had a golden opportunity to deliver the greenway or some other big project for Tuam when he effectively held the balance of power in talks for government formation. Anything he asked for, within reason, he would have been given. And what did he ask for, what was his 'red line' issue? A feckin piece of paper to keep a few trainspotters in Claremorris happy.
    Talk about folding your best ever hand!

I'd say Anyone But Canney rang in his other two "colleagues" ears as an opportunity to secure a few hundred votes from Tuam, neither of the other two have Tuam base, ABC has a solid base that is being challenged now in Tuam on this one issue, if he is to lose first preferences on this issue, they are there to be taken. The independents will be the key target seats at the next election, can't see Rabbitte or Cannon cosying up to ABC they will see this as an opportunity to rid the constituency of this nuisance. If I was in head office of either FF or FG I'd be saying which of the independent alliance TDs has a weakness we can target, they have found a weakness in Canney, If they focus on this the greenway issue could become very damaging for Canneys first preference vote and make him very transfer unfriendly and very vulnerable despite his claims to have fixed the floods. I think Canney has totally misread this one, the only thing that can save him now is a complete about turn or maybe.....rely on his own report to kill off the WRC and be able to say, I tried my best for the railway but all independent reports point to the fact it won't happen so for the time being we will accept the greenway, a weak about turn, but nevertheles one that could save him.

I'd say Anyone But Canney rang in his other two "colleagues" ears as an opportunity to secure a few hundred votes from Tuam, neither of the other two have Tuam base, ABC has a solid base that is being challenged now in Tuam on this one issue, if he is to lose first preferences on this issue, they are there to be taken. The independents will be the key target seats at the next election, can't see Rabbitte or Cannon cosying up to ABC they will see this as an opportunity to rid the constituency of this nuisance. If I was in head office of either FF or FG I'd be saying which of the independent alliance TDs has a weakness we can target, they have found a weakness in Canney, If they focus on this the greenway issue could become very damaging for Canneys first preference vote and make him very transfer unfriendly and very vulnerable despite his claims to have fixed the floods. I think Canney has totally misread this one, the only thing that can save him now is a complete about turn or maybe.....rely on his own report to kill off the WRC and be able to say, I tried my best for the railway but all independent reports point to the fact it won't happen so for the time being we will accept the greenway, a weak about turn, but nevertheles one that could save him.
    Smartest move FG coukd make would be to have ciaran Cannon deliver the capital funding for the greenway, but the council would have to be on board.

Smartest move FG coukd make would be to have ciaran Cannon deliver the capital funding for the greenway, but the council would have to be on board.

Ciaran Cannon has already promised the capital funding. Perhaps if he waves an actual cheque in front of the Council they might act differently. There would be a riot if they stonewalled it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Claude Wilton

Ciaran Cannon has already promised the capital funding. Perhaps if he waves an actual cheque in front of the Council they might act differently. There would be a riot if they stonewalled it again.

A Kaiser Chiefs or Girls Aloud one?

• Advertisement

He'll have to promise it louder, as in having Shane Ross make an announcement that this wrc blather has gone on too long and that the government is stepping in to do what the councils are unable to do -- to build a greenway from Athenry to the Fermanagh border. 
    But therein lies the problem. Ross is a member of the party that isn't a party, the IA, and Canney has him by the S&Cs, threatening to bring down the government if he says anything against his owners' little cabal in Claremorris. Ross would have to take him on but he is unwilling to do so over something down in the sticks, a place that is a mystery to him most of the time.
    The tragedy is, Michael Fitzmaurice would step in if Canney ran away in a huff, so this whole thing could still be sorted at government level, if there was a will to do it.
    That's the nut that Cannon has to crack, and he's probably the best hope to do it. If he does, he'll have a job for life in this area.

He'll have to promise it louder, as in having Shane Ross make an announcement that this wrc blather has gone on too long and that the government is stepping in to do what the councils are unable to do -- to build a greenway from Athenry to the Fermanagh border. 
    But therein lies the problem. Ross is a member of the party that isn't a party, the IA, and Canney has him by the S&Cs, threatening to bring down the government if he says anything against his owners' little cabal in Claremorris. Ross would have to take him on but he is unwilling to do so over something down in the sticks, a place that is a mystery to him most of the time.
    The tragedy is, Michael Fitzmaurice would step in if Canney ran away in a huff, so this whole thing could still be sorted at government level, if there was a will to do it.
    That's the nut that Cannon has to crack, and he's probably the best hope to do it. If he does, he'll have a job for life in this area.

Ross will continue to avoid answering the question Where is Canney report. Canney will avoid getting anythin done until the election. when we may get rid of the Claremorris TD Canney but end up with an FF SF gvt. The whole thing is being derailed by galway cllrs doing more in favour of claremorris than Tuam and Athenry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Has there been any suggestion of a feeder bus from Tuam to Athelney or, better yet, a P&R where the motorway crosses the rail line?

This would be relatively cheap and would not require any additional trains as existing services would be used. Obviously there are restrictions on the level of service that could be provided to Tuam on the existing single track were the Tuam line to reopen so any service to Tuam would almost certainly be a shuttle anyway.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Has there been any suggestion of a feeder bus from Tuam to Athelney or, better yet, a P&R where the motorway crosses the rail line?

This would be relatively cheap and would not require any additional trains as existing services would be used. Obviously there are restrictions on the level of service that could be provided to Tuam on the existing single track were the Tuam line to reopen so any service to Tuam would almost certainly be a shuttle anyway.

New licences would have to be issued for Tuam-Athenry but the Galway service currently offered by Burkes fulfils the needs of Tuam people in a way that Rail or P&R could never match. Plans to extend the old N17 bus corridors will speed up the bus journey times even more. People in Tuam will never accept getting a train to Athenry to get to Galway city centre and then face another onward journey to out Parkmore, NUIG or Mervue. A Luas style service on the N17 alignment has been touted and makes perfect sense was it not for the existing bus corridors and bespoke service already provided.
    Galway City needs a Black Ash, Cork, style park & ride from the south of the city. But that's their problem.

Not sure but I know I did suggest a long time ago on one of the roads threads that the interchange at Rathmorrisey would be an ideal spot for a bus interchange station, with North South buses and East West buses simply pulling off the motorway two minutes into a simple multi bay style bus station or even the kind with through bays to allow flow through as opposed to park in and reverse out to create better speed through the station with basic needs met, a small cafe, shelters, toilets etc and realtime information boards - oh and through ticketing!!! and could be used as an interchange for passengers going in all directions.

There could even be a Galway city-Rathmorrisey shuttle bus service, the town to to see urban buses in superb operation like this is Luton. With a lot of those smaller buses, not mini buses but not the big jobbies either urban buses could do the job.

Who knows one day it might happen, my guess is all the land near the junction has been snapped up by landbank hoarding developers.

Not sure but I know I did suggest a long time ago on one of the roads threads that the interchange at Rathmorrisey would be an ideal spot for a bus interchange station, with North South buses and East West buses simply pulling off the motorway two minutes into a simple multi bay style bus station or even the kind with through bays, with basic needs met, a small cafe, shelters, toilets etc and realtime information boards - oh and through ticketing!!! and could be used as an interchange for passengers going in all directions.

Who knows one day it might happen, my guess is all the land near the junction has been snapped up by landbank hoarding developers.
    Also a great centrally located place for park-n-ride.

Also a great centrally located place for park-n-ride.

Indeed that could be integrated into it, also a great location for people dropping off students on way back to Dublin on a Sunday or collecting point on a Friday; it is all about applying the logic of supply chain logistics. But imagine if every Dublin Galway bus had to pull in there as part of their licence how useful it would be.

I think I also promoted the idea on some other thread a long time ago how using the landbank of Galway airport with a fast link road to the new motorway would be an ideal location to relocate the city centre University regional hospital, it would release a huge city centre landbank for commercial and student residential accommodation .

It would place the regional hospital in much better location for the region, whilst still in the confines of the city and the space on the old airport would allow for hospital staff accommodation, student and residential accommodation etc etc.

This is the kind of thing that will make the new road deliver a better quality of life and services, not sure the Western Rail corridor will do anything for the region apart from allow two extra freight trains a week to trundle through Tuam late at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

My question about a P&R where the motorway crosses the rail line was more as a sop to WOT and Galway CoCo, offering a realistic way of linking Tuam to rail. Spending €X00m on reinstating the line is not realistic, particularly when there are few paths available on the single track line it joins. It should be 'take it or leave it' and plough on with the greenway. I'm sure that if it was examined in Canney's report, it would be a far more favourable option than reinstatement.

A P&R provides a public transport link at little cost and utilises existing services. It would almost certainly attract more passengers (greater catchment) and would help rail services there by providing a passing point. It would do more for rail than reopening the line to Tuam and at less cost. If they are looking for another location for a MSA north of Ennis (seeing as the interchange one isn't happening and one is planned on M6 closer to Oranmore), I would build it and P&R on opposite sides of the motorway, accessed by the one junction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A MSA on the roundabout was refused - a bus station would have the same issues

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    A MSA on the roundabout was refused - a bus station would have the same issues

Sorry but MSA is?

I'm sure that if it was examined in Canney's report, it would be a far more favourable option than reinstatement.

this is the issue about the mythical Canney Report to come on the Western Rail Corridor, what will the brief on the canney report be? who will be the "independent" consultants to write it? Will the public and all stakeholders have input on the questions to be addressed? Will it look at all the options (including greenway)

I think the reference point should be the report Sligo county council had commissioned on future options for the WRC in Sligo. This report which was not commissioned with any bias came clearly down on the side of the idea of a greenway. It also unequivocally stated the view of irish rail on the greenway option vis a vis the reinstatement of the railway, this is what it said on that subject:
    Page 48 of the Sligo Report published in June 2016 (copy attached to this post) says this "Communication with Irish Rail and other greenway projects has repeatedly highlighted the absolute requirement of a clause in the greenway licence that requires the revocation of the licence if the line is reopened at any stage. This is strictly enforced and reemphasised by Irish Rail, who also require, where necessary, additional costs to be incurred in the development of the greenway to ensure future-proofing in the event of a reopening of the line."

Personally I don't think the "Canney report" will ever happen, it is just a can kicking exercise to stop the greenway, its the old adage of sure we can't get anything done till the report telling us to do nothing is published.

Complete waste of time the whole shambles of Government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Sorry but MSA is?

Motorway service area AFAIK, like Barrack Obama Plaza for example.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Motorway service area AFAIK, like Barrack Obama Plaza for example.

Ah yes of course!!! Bizarre one wasn't allowed off this interchange! Two motorways crossing over each other, an ideal spot for people to meet for exchange of passengers, eg children at weekends of separated parents! to have business meetings, to have a travel lodge style budget motel with meeting facilities to rent, etc etc.

Also save the need for dual service stations on either side of the motorway - an MSA here off the junction would have provided for East West North South traffic usage - ie 4 flows of traffic instead of the usual one flow of traffic if it's an MSA on one side of a motorway!

Potential for true 24 hour facilities as opposed to closed after midnight and only get fuel service through a serving hatch!

Not to mention my bus interchange idea!

Reckon it would have created upwards of a hundred service related jobs in East Galway......

Dont the people who design these things actually consult with the people who are going to use them?

Anyway back on subject here is a report from this weeks Tuam Herald. The headline says it all about the kicking the can down the road.

"Ross refuses to clarify status of Athenry to Claremorris rail review"

http://www.tuamherald.ie/news/roundup/articles/2017/10/04/4146682-ross-refuses-to-clarify-status-of-athenry-to-claremorris-rail-review/

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Anyway back on subject here is a report from this weeks Tuam Herald. The headline says it all about the kicking the can down the road.

http://www.tuamherald.ie/news/roundup/articles/2017/10/04/4146682-ross-refuses-to-clarify-status-of-athenry-to-claremorris-rail-review/

Paraphrasing "Shane Ross knows there is zero hope of the Western Rail Corridor but doesn't want Mr Claremorris Freight Hub getting upset"

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    Paraphrasing "Shane Ross knows there is zero hope of the Western Rail Corridor but doesn't want Mr Claremorris Freight Hub getting upset"

Ah yes the TD for Claremorris AKA Sean (Anyone But Canney) Canney will stop this report at all costs, no report, no further votes in Galway county council asking awkward questions, no further debate, no greenway, no railway no nothing except weeds and rotting railway timbers and a lot of disgruntled voters in Claremorris AKA Tuam for Sean (Anyone But Canney) Canney to have lost .....hopefully.

Anyway, sure isn't great how doing nothing means you can do nothing wrong

....err or nothing right either!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

Thankfully people are hea the turnout in Tuam was well down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

marno21 wrote: »
    Can you imagine how "outraged" (since that was all he used to be able to do before he entered government became totally useless), Shane Ross would be if he were in opposition now?

"The Minister refuses to rule out spending hundereds of millions of euro on a train line that will never be used. Simply OUTRAGEOUS, and the Minister should resign immediately"

... or words to that effect.

Just looked at the double page spread in the digital version of the Tuam Herald, wow I have never seen reporting quite like in a local paper about a local TD, I reckon Sean "(Anyone But Canney)" Canney will be scurrying around the town buying up all the copies to bin them! If anyone can get hold of a copy post up a photo of the double page spread, it pans ABC, it exposes the Claremorris factor in the vote last week, it pans the Minister and it allows the two other sitting TDs a free run at Sean "(Anyone But Canney)" Canney's vote in Tuam.

The three local cllrs who voted against the motion also have their heads on the block in this article.

Sean "(Anyone But Canney)" Canney must have smoke like a steam engine coming out of his ears and nostrils! Any Tuam readers out there let's see it posted up here please!

voz es wrote: »
    Thankfully people are hea the turnout in Tuam was well down.
    Well down from what?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement